BRAZILIAN OVERCLOCKERS RUN A RTX 3080 ON A 200W POWER SUPPLY

Sakee__

First of all, I want to explain that the title of this topic is clickbait.

Teclab's overclocking team (a brazilian group that is world record holder in Hwbot) recently did a livestream where they installed a setup with an I9 10900K @ 5 GHz (all cores) and an overclocked GALAX (KFA2) RTX 3080 in a T-Dagger 200W power supply. Basically, it worked and the computer didn't shut down.

Now, explaining what actually happened. From what I understood, it was a joke of the team, that created a modified project (I think it was for some partner company) and put it in this generic power supply case. The power supply was tested later, where it showed high efficiency, low ripple and good voltage regulation throughout its operating range, but it exploded in the end (because they removed its fan).

This is the video and it has no subtitles, so it was a bit difficult to understand what they were doing.

image.thumb.png.02a85d65f4cbae1c8e197c549dbb754e.png

This little raccoon is very cute.

Ronaldo!

I miss hanging out with Ronaldo.

See that AX1500i on his bench?  After reprogramming the firmware on those (I think there were 15 of them total), I used a heat gun to take off the original labels and apply those "Elite Overclocker" stickers all by hand.  😄

I know.  Weird flex.  But good memories.

14 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Ronaldo!

I miss hanging out with Ronaldo.

See that AX1500i on his bench?  After reprogramming the firmware on those (I think there were 15 of them total), I used a heat gun to take off the original labels and apply those "Elite Overclocker" stickers all by hand.  😄

I know.  Weird flex.  But good memories.

600W power draw from a 200W PSU, that is strange.

Am I the only one that sees a problem here?

I can see the Reddit and posts here coming now.... 🙄

"Well you only need a 200W PSU here is the video etc, etc." 🙄

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

13 hours ago, Ankerson said:

Am I the only one that sees a problem here?

Definitely not.

I can see the Reddit and posts here coming now.... 🙄

"Well you only need a 200W PSU here is the video etc, etc." 🙄

I believe it would be good if they made a video explaining what actually occurred, considering it was a joke.

600W power draw from a 200W PSU, that is strange.

Actually, it's not a real 200W power supply. There's no way it was real...

I talked to a friend, who was able to explain the video better. Basically, this team, Teclab, is working with some power supply manufacturers. This 200W unit was a surprise demonstration of a modified design they developed from another unit (which was not revealed). They expected the model to support up to 500W, but it seems that one of them overloaded it (it seems it was at the public's request) and it ended up burning out due to the fan being removed. It looks like they will improve this project and will offer it to some partners.

It would be less click-bait if an actual 200W PSU were used.  As it is, I’d call it a Bait-and-switch.  I.e. a 400+ Watt PSU presented as 200W.