Need some help with a motherboard/graphics card problem.

GamingTom

Hey, I've had a problem with a GPU/Mobo compatibility problem for some time now. I kinda gave up on trying to get them to wrok together. In short, I bought a new amd ASUS r9 270x and a Corsair CX500M, but the new GPU wouldn't work in with my Mobo; the PSU worked fine. You can read it here if you like: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1979719/asus-270x-signal.html

Now, I think I narrowed it down to there only being one 4pin "cpu" (atx) slot on my motherboard whereas the PSU has two 4pin "cpu" (atx) cables, so I guess I need  motherboard with 1 8pin slot. I found this motherboard which has one 8pin slot and is compatible with my intel i5 cpu. Now I would like a little confirmation that the PSU should run the GPU fine using this new motherboard, before going out and wasting any more money.

Some other things I tried were unplugging any unnecessary components from the systems to reduce the power consumption and also updating the bios using the provided tool on the website, however, that didn't seems to do anything; I may already have the latest version.

Specs:Intel Core i5 23208.00GB DDR3 RAMFoxconn H61MXL/H61MXL-K MotherboardCorsair CX500MAsus R9 270x

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need any more information, please just ask.

Many thanks, Tom.

the new motherboard will run fine with the cpu you have, but why not rather then getting a new motherboard and cpu and get a better cpu and mobo?

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Have you tried another card? Maybe the 270x is the problem and not the motherboard. RMA the card unless you have a spare lying around to check. If the new card comes back and still nothing then upgrade to a better board like you say.
A GPU should work with any motherboard granted it has PCIe x16.

the new motherboard will run fine with the cpu you have, but why not rather then getting a new motherboard and cpu and get a better cpu and mobo?

Any new cpu's are out of my price range and I can't afford to buy them. The i5 I have now is great for what I need it for; for the time being, at least.

Have you tried another card? Maybe the 270x is the problem and not the motherboard. RMA the card unless you have a spare lying around to check. If the new card comes back and still nothing then upgrade to a better board like you say.

A GPU should work with any motherboard granted it has PCIe x16.

I have tried both the psu and gpu in a completely different system and they worked quite fine, and the only thing different in that system is the motherboard, so that's the reason I believe it is the motherboard and not the gpu.

I have tried both the psu and gpu in a completely different system and they worked quite fine, and the only thing different in that system is the motherboard, so that's the reason I believe it is the motherboard and not the gpu.

Ah. In that case your motherboard seems defective. And yes the new motherboard should work fine.