PS5 PSU specs

Omara

I just bought a PS5 imported from Japan, over there they use a 100V electrical system, and every single teardown video i have found so far, the PS5 write 100V or 110-120V or 220-240V on the PS5 itself outside, but ALL of them have a PSU that has 100-127V & 200-240V written on them, how safe will it be if i just get another figure 8 power cable thats 250V 13A to plug into the PS5 instead of buying of a step down transformer?

Note: i am living in a country with 220-240V electrical system, that is why the hassle, also i don't think i can even find a 100V step down transformer over here which sucks

11 minutes ago, Omara said:

ALL of them have a PSU that has 100-127V & 200-240V written on them,

11 minutes ago, Omara said:

i am living in a country with 220-240V electrical system,

in other words, there is no problem?

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

in other words, there is no problem?

i did not do a teardown on my PS5, and i don't think i can do it tbh, so there's that doubt, my question could be, are all PS5 using the same PSU of 100-127 & 200-240?

1 minute ago, Omara said:

i did not do a teardown on my PS5, and i don't think i can do it tbh, so there's that doubt, my question could be, are all PS5 using the same PSU of 100-127 & 200-240?

TL:DR: yes.

https://www.psu.com/news/is-the-ps5-dual-voltage-can-i-use-ps5-in-another-country/#:~:text=Is PS5 Dual Voltage%3F,120V and 220-240V connections.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

does this mean all i have to do is just change the power cable that comes included in the box? swap is for a 250V 10A one? or can i just use a 250V 10A adapter plug?

The PS5 has the voltage information written on the bottom, looking at this photo from iFixit it seems the console should support 100-240V (like any modern device): image.thumb.png.630ec6c3eddae46198a2d94582b33841.png

Source: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation+5+Teardown/138280

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

also note that in this video  at 12:10 a similar PS5 is teared down and u can see the PSU specs at the very end

what i need is just a confirmation that if i plug a 250V 10A adapter or power cable on the PS5 it won't blow up and i wouldn't have wasted my money over on nothing.

23 minutes ago, Omara said:

also note that in this video  at 12:10 a similar PS5 is teared down and u can see the PSU specs at the very end

what i need is just a confirmation that if i plug a 250V 10A adapter or power cable on the PS5 it won't blow up and i wouldn't have wasted my money over on nothing.

this is hard to answer, because not a whole lot of people know about this stuff... you need to either contact Sony about this, or just test it out for yourself (if you dont get any answers, of course). Contacting Sony would be the best thing to do though, better safe than sorry.

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

1 minute ago, 1ppOverheat said:

this is hard to answer, because not a whole lot of people know about this stuff.. but as far as i know, this shouldn't be a problem

ya exactly, i just dont want to waste my money if i plug it and it breaks

Just now, Omara said:

ya exactly, i just dont want to waste my money if i plug it and it breaks

yeah, please consider just contacting Sony.. i'm sure they'll know the right answer for this. It just takes patience.

Since it is a switching mode power supply It shouldn't blow up either way if the PSU is engineered correctly, it will simply shutdown (or not start in the first place) if the input voltage is out of specifications. And i pretty sure if there's a PSU that supports 100V then it should be able to run off 220/240V mains too since lower input voltage puts more stress on the PSU. I even doubt Sony would bother with making a different PSU for 230V countries, it's likely the very same PSU worldwide.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

1 minute ago, Juular said:

Since it is a switching mode power supply It shouldn't blow up either way if the PSU is engineered correctly, it will simply shutdown (or not start in the first place) if the input voltage is out of specifications. And i pretty sure if there's a PSU that supports 100V then it should be able to run off 220/240V mains too since lower input voltage puts more stress on the PSU. I even doubt Sony would bother with making a different PSU for 230V countries, it's likely the very same PSU worldwide.

switching mode power supply?

12 minutes ago, Omara said:

switching mode power supply?

In simple terms it's a power supply that chops down input voltage and current into short bursts (by rapidly switching the transistors on and off, hence the name), that allows for use of much smaller transformers than in linear power supplies (older type) because transformers lose less energy in the intermediate state which is the shorter the higher switching frequency. Vast majority of PSUs in modern appliances are SMPS (switched-mode power supply) unless they contain a high powered motor (or the appliance is basically the motor alone), which usually runs off the main directly, and in most cases works only in short voltage range.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

it's funny how sony's support is down for the last 6 hours lol

On 3/26/2021 at 2:09 PM, 1ppOverheat said:

yeah, please consider just contacting Sony.. i'm sure they'll know the right answer for this. It just takes patience.

i have been looking for 2 days for a way to contact sony, there is literally no option to get on a customer service chat and their official /support website is down, i need help here

15 minutes ago, Omara said:

i have been looking for 2 days for a way to contact sony, there is literally no option to get on a customer service chat and their official /support website is down, i need help here

Oh well thats shitty, i still dont think you should plug that in... you would most likely break your ps5

cant you just buy a different adapter though?

Just now, 1ppOverheat said:

Oh well thats shitty, i still dont think you should plug that in... you would most likely break your ps5

cant you just buy a different adapter though?

i will at the VERY LEAST buy a new figure 8 cable that suits 250V and 10A, or i got an adapter that i can plug the original figure 8 cable in it and the adapter itself is 250V 10A, but im still worried that without a stepdown transformer i will brick it

7 minutes ago, Omara said:

i will at the VERY LEAST buy a new figure 8 cable that suits 250V and 10A, or i got an adapter that i can plug the original figure 8 cable in it and the adapter itself is 250V 10A, but im still worried that without a stepdown transformer i will brick it

I don't really know anymore, and i don't want to share false info.. its upto you now, but i probably wouldn't recommend doing it with out a transformer or something.. 

I wish you the best of luck though, you'll figure it out 👍

Update

i just got the PS5 delivered and i couldn't find any 220V to 100V step down transformers, so i just bought a 220V to 110V one, plugged it in and its working nicely.

it could be cuz the PSU is dual voltage (didn't do a teardown to confirm so far and don't think i will anytime soon), OR cuz 110V is within the range of 100V so it's all good.

• 1 month later...

I got a japanese PS5 also and i can confirm you can just use any figure 8 cable you want..i use my ps4 figure 8 cable which is supposed to be 240v i guess.it says on the side of the ps5 100v only but the psu inside accept all voltages 100-240v.its there on the side cause its for japanese users i guess….well all in short no worrys whatever cable you plug it all will work fine and its not dangerous for your ps5..enjoy

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2021 at 2:43 PM, Xenogear35 said:

I got a japanese PS5 also and i can confirm you can just use any figure 8 cable you want..i use my ps4 figure 8 cable which is supposed to be 240v i guess.it says on the side of the ps5 100v only but the psu inside accept all voltages 100-240v.its there on the side cause its for japanese users i guess….well all in short no worrys whatever cable you plug it all will work fine and its not dangerous for your ps5..enjoy

i did buy a step down transformer from 220 to 110 since i couldn't find to 100v and im running it on it, maybe once it gets older and so on i would experiment with that, or even while i open it to clean it up one day, but ya i am feeling more confident now since it has been running on the 110v for 3 months or so now

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2021 at 12:10 PM, Omara said:

I just bought a PS5 imported from Japan, over there they use a 100V electrical system, and every single teardown video i have found so far, the PS5 write 100V or 110-120V or 220-240V on the PS5 itself outside, but ALL of them have a PSU that has 100-127V & 200-240V written on them, how safe will it be if i just get another figure 8 power cable thats 250V 13A to plug into the PS5 instead of buying of a step down transformer?

Note: i am living in a country with 220-240V electrical system, that is why the hassle, also i don't think i can even find a 100V step down transformer over here which sucks

hello,

Did you have tried to link your PS5 japan version (100 Volts only) directly to power 220 V??

I m in the same situation and I don t find power down transformer 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2021 at 3:16 PM, revenwood said:

hello,

Did you have tried to link your PS5 japan version (100 Volts only) directly to power 220 V??

I m in the same situation and I don t find power down transformer 

no till this moment i have not tried that, but i am more and more confident that its ok to do so, since the step down transformer i found was to 110V not 100V which is not a solution that should be working as well.