Best language for creating cross-platform desktop applications

What's the best language for creating cross-platform desktop apps? My main language is Java, however I heard it isn't the best for desktop apps. What's the easiest and best way to create desktop apps?

The best is usually what you know. Depending and what you'd like to do, Java might be just fine. What is you're project about?

I think a lot of people use electron nowadays but cross platform always comes with some caveats and therefore electron is is similarly frowned up as java is for desktop apps for a while now.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

10 hours ago, OptimusePrime said:

My main language is Java, however I heard it isn't the best for desktop apps.

Depends on what you want to make, it can work just fine.

Cross platform compatibility depends less on the language and more on what system functionality you need to use.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

@

11 hours ago, GER_T4IGA said:

The best is usually what you know. Depending and what you'd like to do, Java might be just fine. What is you're project about?

I think a lot of people use electron nowadays but cross platform always comes with some caveats and therefore electron is is similarly frowned up as java is for desktop apps for a while now.

I tried Electron and I don't seem to like (that might have something to do with me right now recovering from burnout). Do you have a suggestion for a GUI Java framework?

I personally recommend QT.

C/C++ is also still a good option, you can utilize cross-platform libraries for simplicity, essentially what QT does just with its own Tools and Environment.

Java is crossplatform

Mono is cross-platform if you don't mind .NET

Electron has been fairly popular if you don't mind sticking to web technologies.

2 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

I personally recommend QT.

C/C++ is also still a good option, you can utilize cross-platform libraries for simplicity, essentially what QT does just with its own Tools and Environment.

Java is crossplatform

Mono is cross-platform if you don't mind .NET

Electron has been fairly popular if you don't mind sticking to web technologies.

Alright! I personally don't like C/C++ that much, so I'll stick with Java.

Anyone has any recommendation on what Java GUI framework I should use? JavaFX or Java Swing or some third-party framework/library?

3 hours ago, OptimusePrime said:

Alright! I personally don't like C/C++ that much, so I'll stick with Java.

Check local job offers - how many are there and what software they are using. Right now the market for desktop apps is somewhat limited.

Qt is really strong and there are bindings for other languages like Python - although for Python majority of demand is for web/network based applications and services. For Java there is QtJambi5 - Java bindings for Qt. Although if you really know and like Java then you can also check Kotlin and Android software stack for Android and alike applications.

• 2 weeks later...

There are quite a few options. To name a few Electron, QT ( c/c++, python, java) . Java (Java FX).

On 3/26/2021 at 12:26 AM, OptimusePrime said:

What's the best language for creating cross-platform desktop apps? My main language is Java, however I heard it isn't the best for desktop apps. What's the easiest and best way to create desktop apps?

depending on your skill level.

For very easy programming and fast results Id recommend going with LUA, or if you already have a knack for dev then go with python

On 4/6/2021 at 1:51 PM, Linus No Beard said:

for me java it runs on most things due to how it works

Java will run on anything as long as the system has JVM support.

5 hours ago, DPS100 said:

Java will run on anything as long as the system has JVM support.

that is what i said

Some not mentioned things:

Flutter might be another option you could try, can do web also. But unlike electron, does not need to be shipped with a browser integrated into it, though it still has some "weight". The language there is Dart.

You could use wxWidgets, that works on all platforms AFAIK. You can use C++ and Python, there are bindings for more languages I'm sure.