Help choosing motherboard

Hi I'm looking for some help finding the best performance motherboard for my new processor. Thanks

Budget (including currency): Total budget is around $2000 USD

Budget for mobo is about $500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly gaming, but I would like versatility

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Case: Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic ATX Full Tower

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x

RAM: 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 CL19 Thermaltake TOUGHRAM

GPU: Powercolor Radeon rx 590 8GB (Going to upgrade)

PSU: EVGA T2 1000 W 80+ Titanium

SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB

Samsung 980 Pro 250GB

CPU Cooler: Custom water loop

STRIX X570 Dark Hero or STRIX X570 Formula is the absolute best you can buy pretty much. Formula is out of budget and finding an X570 Dark is hard these days (for a reasonable price at least). If you can't get either, then I'd recommend the normal STRIX X570 Hero

If you can get the dark hero 3 it’s an X570 board the is loaded with features, and I think it is around 400

Don’t take everything I say seriously 

take it with a grain of s a l t

You probably don’t need to spend $500 on a motherboard unless you want to do very extreme over clocking. Something like the x-570 tuf gameing pro will handle a 5900x fine.

My primary system: Core I7 10700k, 32 gb Trident Z RGB ram@3200mhz, EVGA GTX 970 SSC (will upgrade), NZXT N7 Z490 motherboard (Black), Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB SSD, NZXT C850 PSU, Hyper 212 EVO cooler (getting new water cooler soon), NZXT H510i case. 

My secondary system: Core I7 4820k, 16 gb quad channel 1600mhz ram, GTX 780 reference, Asus PX79LE, SK Hynix GOLD s31 500gb SSD, some 10 yr old Cooler Master 750w psu, Hyper 212, old Cooler Master case.

Laptop: Lenovo l380 yoga I5 8250u, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd storage)

14 minutes ago, thepoorgamer said:

You probably don’t need to spend $500 on a motherboard unless you want to do very extreme over clocking. Something like the x-570 tuf gameing pro will handle a 5900x fine.

Yeah but you want future proofing so that Asus dark hero III is a great option and not needing the upgrade for a long time

4 minutes ago, tire said:

Yeah but you want future proofing so that Asus dark hero III is a great option and not needing the upgrade for a long time

How is the Dark Hero any more future proof ?

1 minute ago, lee32uk said:

How is the Dark Hero any more future proof ?

It has 3 m.2s 8 satas, has super robust power delivery, can support pretty much all ryzen CPUs and future ones, and it has really good reviews on pcmag and some other reviews

And the asus dark hero viii has WiFi six and 2.5gb networking and for 400 dollars, it’s a bargain for that price compared to other X570 flagships

8 minutes ago, tire said:

It has 3 m.2s 8 satas, has super robust power delivery, can support pretty much all ryzen CPUs and future ones, and it has really good reviews on pcmag and some other reviews

What future Ryzen? Zen 4 will be socket am5.

My primary system: Core I7 10700k, 32 gb Trident Z RGB ram@3200mhz, EVGA GTX 970 SSC (will upgrade), NZXT N7 Z490 motherboard (Black), Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB SSD, NZXT C850 PSU, Hyper 212 EVO cooler (getting new water cooler soon), NZXT H510i case. 

My secondary system: Core I7 4820k, 16 gb quad channel 1600mhz ram, GTX 780 reference, Asus PX79LE, SK Hynix GOLD s31 500gb SSD, some 10 yr old Cooler Master 750w psu, Hyper 212, old Cooler Master case.

1 minute ago, thepoorgamer said:

What future Ryzen? Zen 4 will be socket am5.

We don’t know that for sure that’s just an assumption 

10 minutes ago, tire said:

The majority of people won't need 3 x M.2 slots. As for SATA then it depends on how many the op needs. Unless he plans on lots of SATA SSD's or HDD's then he won't need a lot anyway. An MSI X570 Tomahawk has a solid VRM for half the price. This is the last cpu's on this platform so not sure what future ones you mean. 

And the asus dark hero viii has WiFi six and 2.5gb networking and for 400 dollars, it’s a bargain for that price compared to other X570 flagships

The X570 Tomahawk also has wifi 6 and 2.5GB LAN. 

1 minute ago, tire said:

We don’t know that for sure that’s just an assumption 

Yes but there certainly won’t be too many more am4 chips.

3 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

The majority of people won't need 3 x M.2 slots. As for SATA then it depends on how many the op needs. Unless he plans on lots of SATA SSD's or HDD's then he won't need a lot anyway. An MSI X570 Tomahawk has a solid VRM for half the price. This is the last cpu's on this platform so not sure what future ones you mean. 

The X570 Tomahawk also has wifi 6 and 2.5GB LAN. 

Yeah well when you have a 500 dollar budget for a motherboard, you want to make the most of it for the future

Yeah well when you have a 500 dollar budget for a motherboard, you want to make the most of it for the future

What future ? If the op wants to spend $400+ on the Dark Hero then it is his choice, but he can easily save half the money if he wants to without sacrificing performance. He would be better off getting a bigger SSD as 750GB is a bit small for a $2000 build.

5 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

What future ? If the op wants to spend $400+ on the Dark Hero then it is his choice, but he can easily save half the money if he wants to without sacrificing performance. He would be better off getting a bigger SSD as 750GB is a bit small for a $2000 build.

Ok fine it’s his choice but if I were him I would go with the better option

Ok so heres a few extra notes...

- I also have a 5TB HDD for games

- I'm planning on using the larger m.2 drive for my OS and the smaller one as a cache for the game HDD

- I don't really care about wifi capability since I use ethernet

- I will spend extra money if it's worth it, but the Dark hero is only available for like $850 so that's a bit out of the question

Anyways, these are the 2 that I'm considering at the moment

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SYW3RT2/ref=crt_ewc_img_srh_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1EXUJXD1YQG71

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SVRZ2DX/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Thoughts?

9 minutes ago, EmbryonicBeer said:

- I'm planning on using the larger m.2 drive for my OS and the smaller one as a cache for the game HDD

- I will spend extra money if it's worth it, but the Dark hero is only available for like $850 so that's a bit out of the question

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SYW3RT2/ref=crt_ewc_img_srh_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1EXUJXD1YQG71

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SVRZ2DX/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Thoughts?

Yeah the crosshair hero is pretty much a motherboard that will also last for a long time

Ok fine it’s his choice but if I were him I would go with the better option

The Gigabyte B550 Aorus Master has a better VRM and even that costs way less at $268. There is not much reason to spend $400+ on a board if you can get the same thing for less. Anyway the Dark Hero is out of the question if it is $850.

17 minutes ago, EmbryonicBeer said:

Thoughts?

You could spend less on a B550 board. An MSI B550 Tomahawk or Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro etc would be more than fine for that cpu. Both are sub $180.