Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need help figuring out if I shorted my mobo

I got the MSI Z87-G45 Gaming mobo and was waiting on the NZXT H440 case to ship. One of their guys on the reddit told me that while I was waiting for it I could build my pc in the mobo box. I tok his advice and it went fine as so for about a week until today when my case showed up. I was hooking everything up until I noticed that my 8-pin cpu power cord was a little too short. I went to the store in my jacket and shoes with no socks (I was in a rush) to get an extender. When i got back I decided (Against better judgement) to finish wiring without my antistatic strap and without washing my hands again. after finishing all the wiring I wanted to make sure everything worked right so I pluged in my headset and pressed the power button to see if it worked and it wouldn't turn on. I tried removing the wires from the power button and turning it on the same way I did while it was in the box (By touching two of the pins together with a piece of metal) and still nothing. I rushed it to my local staples to see if they could tell me if it was friend and they said I'd have to wait until the morning. When i got it back home I put on my strap and went to work trying to get it to run. I've taken everything off the motherboard aside form the cpu and the cpu cooler and one stick of ram to see if it would run that was and nothing happens at all. I know power is getting to everything right because the lights on my GPU come on and when everything is assembled and I try turning the power on the psu turns on ever so faintly for a few seconds and the cpu fan takes a ery small jump but nothing else happens. Any idea if I shorted it with static or is something else wrong?

Make sure your RAM is in correctly, also take out a few sticks and move them around and see what happens

Still learning how to play Dota 2 :)

Also you may have fried your PSU, I'm just finding it a bit hard to read your post its all together in one big paragraph :P

Make sure your RAM is in correctly, also take out a few sticks and move them around and see what happens

Took the ram out, the video card out, and put them both back in just now. Only thing that changed was that the cpu fan didn't even jump this time. All I got was my psu fan going a little and then turning off on it's on.

As of this moment is your system outside the case? Like are you bridging metal to power on the system?

It's in the case, but I am using a peice of metal to touch the pins to turn it on. That was my first attempt at seeing what was wrong when it didn't turn on.

Check all connections, as long as you touched your case first, you probably didn't short it out. And i've build 6-7 systems without a anti static wrist strap and nothing has gone wrong

Check all connections, as long as you touched your case first, you probably didn't short it out. And i've build 6-7 systems without a anti static wrist strap and nothing has gone wrong

Double chekced everything but I'll check again to make sure.

Double chekced everything but I'll check again to make sure.

Definately. If something shorted out I would be surprised, I've had the same kinds of troubles with system builds in my early days. Its usually something really simple. Also, if you have onboard graphics, try booting off of that and see what happens.

Just finished checking all the connections and they're all good. I've tried booting without the gpu once already and nothing came on. Everything was out except one stick of ram, the cpu, and the cpu cooler. And nothing came on.

Just finished checking all the connections and they're all good. I've tried booting without the gpu once already and nothing came on. Everything was out except one stick of ram, the cpu, and the cpu cooler. And nothing came on.

Do you have a spare power supply laying around? even a shitty one?

Do you have a spare power supply laying around? even a shitty one?

Probably but the computer it's from is from back in like the late 90s early 2000's and doesn't even use the same time of cords.

Edit: I should probably also mention that every time I've booted it the power supply fan has come on for about 10 seconds and then turns off on it's own. That's why I jumped to the conclusions it must be more motherboard.

Double edit : I actually do know of one that I could borrow but it's about 200w too low for my build.

Also, plug the PSU directly into the wall if possibly so youre getting enough power, other than that i really don't know just go through the process of elimination.

Also, plug the PSU directly into the wall if possibly so youre getting enough power, other than that i really don't know just go through the process of elimination.

Already directly in the wall. Things are definately getting power since the lights on my gpu come on but the lights on my motherboard don't come on and nothing else starts up.

Post this again if you don't find an answer, Ive gotta get off for a bit I'll check back later.

Post it again? okay. Isn't that spamming or something though? lol

have you tried clearing cmos? Could be that or a corrupted bios

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

have you tried clearing cmos? Could be that or a corrupted bios

Could that really help even though it was running perfectly fine before I put it in the case? I've been playing games and the like on it for about a week until now all of a sudden it just doesn't want to turn on anything other than the psu.

Could that really help even though it was running perfectly fine before I put it in the case? I've been playing games and the like on it for about a week until now all of a sudden it just doesn't want to turn on anything other than the psu.

it could. A corrupted bios is actualy bit unlikely just from that, try resetting cmos by taking out that watch battery on the motherboard for a few minuets. Some times that is all that is keeping a system from posting.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

it could. A corrupted bios is actualy bit unlikely just from that, try resetting cmos by taking out that watch battery on the motherboard for a few minuets. Some times that is all that is keeping a system from posting.

okay Just took out the battery. How long should I keep it out?

Put it back in, checked all the connections one last time. and my power supply turned on, cpu fan jumped for a split second, and then the cpu fan turned off again and the psu followed suit a few seconds after.

Put it back in, checked all the connections one last time. and my power supply turned on, cpu fan jumped for a split second, and then the cpu fan turned off again and the psu followed suit a few seconds after.

do you have any extra ram you could test? could be a bad stick of ram too.if you dont and you already have two sticks of ram. try each stick of ram individually from each other. also it seems like the msi g45 has a swich for a full cmos clear. from pictures, it looks like there is a button in between the ps2/usb ports and spdif and optical out. Try pressing that small button see if that helps

Will do but i just took out my psu and checked it stand alone and it's perfectly fine. Since it's running fine and the cpu fan comes on for a split second when everything is together I'm going to assume it's the mobo and I've put in an order for a new one. If I can't get it fixed tonight then I'm fairly certain it's fried.

Nothing, still didn't come on so I'm just going to go ahead and leave my order for the new mobo up and be really careful handling it this time. I got cocky and didn't use my strap/wash my hands and paid for it. Hopefully this teaches me some humility.

Don't forget to post this again if you still need help. And just make it clear about what you've already done to try and solve the problem.