Best overclock for 10700k?

Go to solution Solved by Stahlmann,

There is no single "best overclock" when it comes to any overclocking. Every CPU and GPU will overclock differently and have different limits. You have to dial in your OC specific to YOUR CPU.

This is basically how i dial in my OC with Intel CPUs:

- Set Voltage to the highest safe voltage (with modern Intel up to 1.45V is fine for everyday use imo)

- Set your all-core frequency 100MHz higher than stock

- Increase your frequency by 100MHz steps and run a stress test

- When you don't have any crashes, increase by another 100MHz and repeat until you have crashes

- Then decrease your freqency to the last known stable one

- Now decrease voltage in 0.0125V steps and run stress tests

- When you are stable, decrease it again in 0.0125V steps until you have crashes

- Then increase the voltage to the last known stable one

Of course monitor your temps at all times during stability testing.

TLDR: First find your max stable frequency, then find your lowest stable voltage.

Then you'll end up with your max stable frequency at the lowest possible stable voltage, which is basically what you want with an OC.

For example i ended up with 5.1GHz all-core @ 1.375V with my 8600K this way.

I was wondering what's the best overclock for 10700k? Like coreclocks and voltages?

That depends on the quality of the chip you have.

In general voltage 1.35 - 1.45v is considered safe.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

And also depends on the quality of the motherboard VRM. What make and model motherboard do you have?

Just now, --SID-- said:

And also depends on the quality of the motherboard VRM. What make and model motherboard do you have?

MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS

26 minutes ago, CasperLaGhost said:

I was wondering what's the best overclock for 10700k? Like coreclocks and voltages?

I depends on a few factors but mostly silicon quality, temperature and Mobo quality

With better cooling you can push a higher OC at lower voltage.

I have read people getting 5.2-5.3ghz all core OC with custom watercooling.

A big aircooler or AIO I would suspect 5,0-5,1ghz would be max OC. 

15 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

That depends on the quality of the chip you have.

In general voltage 1.35 - 1.45v is considered safe.

I believe 1.45V is AMD territory and not suitable for Intel (I'm not very familiar with AMD overclocking). 

I wouldn't go much higher than 1,35V for a long term stable OC. 

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

2 minutes ago, Boyohan said:

I depends on a few factors but mostly silicon quality and temperature and Mobo quality

With better cooling you can push a higher OC at lower voltage.

I have read people getting 5.2-5.3ghz all core OC with custom watercooling.

A big aircooler or AIO I would suspect 5,0-5,1ghz would be max OC. 

I believe 1.45V is AMD territory and not suitable for Intel (I'm not very familiary with AMD overclocking). 

EKW 360 basic AIO and 4 extra bequiet fans. AIO mounted on top. 3 top exhaust 1 rear exhaust 3 front intake. Full front mesh panel. I think the thermals should be fine

There is no single "best overclock" when it comes to any overclocking. Every CPU and GPU will overclock differently and have different limits. You have to dial in your OC specific to YOUR CPU.

- Set Voltage to the highest safe voltage (with modern Intel up to 1.45V is fine for everyday use imo)

- When you don't have any crashes, increase by another 100MHz and repeat until you have crashes

- When you are stable, decrease it again in 0.0125V steps until you have crashes

TLDR: First find your max stable frequency, then find your lowest stable voltage.

Then you'll end up with your max stable frequency at the lowest possible stable voltage, which is basically what you want with an OC.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

7 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

yeah but let's say out of 100 people 80 get the same result... So basically the result the other 20 people doesn't matter that much so like the coreclock that the 80 people got would be kind of like a standard.

10 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Set Voltage to the highest safe voltage (with modern Intel up to 1.45V is fine for everyday use imo)

I haven't done any OC to Intel 10th gen but 1.4V used to be considered max recommended voltage (most recommended 1,35V for long term use).

Interesting to see that it has gone up. 

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

6 minutes ago, CasperLaGhost said:

yeah but let's say out of 100 people 80 get the same result... So basically the result the other 20 people doesn't matter that much so like the coreclock that the 80 people got would be kind of like a standard.

Just find your own CPUs limits. It a matter of a few hours at most. If you don't wanna do that, OCing is not for you.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, Boyohan said:

I believe 1.45V is AMD territory and not suitable for Intel (I'm not very familiar with AMD overclocking). 

Intel's 14nm is for sure more robust than the 7nm process used in AMD's latest offerings, so it's the other way around - the "max safe" voltage for Intel would be higher than the one for AMD CPUs, at this point in time.

1.4-1.45V should be safe for long term use with Comet Lake; it's just that it'll probably be really hard to cool at that point.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 hour ago, Mateyyy said:

Intel's 14nm is for sure more robust than the 7nm process used in AMD's latest offerings, so it's the other way around - the "max safe" voltage for Intel would be higher than the one for AMD CPUs, at this point in time.

1.4-1.45V should be safe for long term use with Comet Lake; it's just that it'll probably be really hard to cool at that point.

As I said in an earlier comment I haven't done any OC to Intel 10th gen so max recommended voltage has definitely gone up. 

1.4V was recommended max voltage when I overclocked my 8600K and 9900K (most ppl recommended 1,35V for long term use).

To push higher voltages you needed some exotic cooling and it was usually not for daily use.