Q-Flash not allowing BIOS update

MrIvan

Hello all. 

I recently acquired an older system and have decided to upgrade the storage and GPU to use it as a home theater rig for 4K Netflix and the like.

• The system specs are as follows.
  • i5-2500K 
  • Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H
  • 4x 4gb Kingston DDR3
  • EVGA 450B2 power supply
  • Samsung 860 Pro 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 1TB
  • Swapping from a Sapphire ATI 2600XT (ancient, I know) to Gigabyte GT 1030
  • Windows 10 Home 64-bit (Unlicensed)

Upon installing the new graphics card and trying to boot, I received error code B2 on the motherboard's post code display. A quick google found this issue comes when installing more modern graphics cards into the motherboard. A simple BIOS update should fix. The computer boots into windows fine with either the old card or using the iGPU.

I extracted the latest stable revision of BIOS onto a USB stick and plugged it in. Upon opening the Q-Flash utility, I am presented with 3 options:

• Update BIOS from drive
  • Save BIOS to drive
  • Exit Q-flash 

When I left click or press enter while selecting the "Update BIOS from drive" option, nothing happens. It appears as though the action is not registered. Same with "Save BIOS to drive". The only option that registers is to exit the utility. 

I have also tried using optical media to install the BIOS and have had no luck either.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue? Is there a setting I am missing?

I appreciate you reading this. Please ask if you require any further clarification.

Thank you! Have a great day. 

Did you rename the file to GIGABYTE.bin? (however this shouldn't be needed if you are able to navigate to the update screen in the bios).

Edit: also make sure to use a (preferably) USB 2 drive, and a small capacity one, Q-Flash sometimes hates usb 3 and large drives.

finally escaped fm2+

2 minutes ago, lgcas said:

Did you rename the file to GIGABYTE.bin?

Edit: also make sure to use a (preferably) USB 2 drive, and a small capacity one, Q-Flash sometimes hates usb 3 and large drives

Which file? The Efiflash application or the .fa file?

2 minutes ago, MrIvan said:

Which file? The Efiflash application or the .fa file?

Actually it might just be an AMD thing, however I found something related where somebody had an issue where their USB wasn't detected on a similar model to yours. Is the USB fat32 formatted?

finally escaped fm2+

4 minutes ago, lgcas said:

Actually it might just be an AMD thing, however I found something related where somebody had an issue where their USB wasn't detected on a similar model to yours. Is the USB fat32 formatted?

It is now! I managed to get further this time. This time I got a BIOS ID Check error. Probably because I renamed one of the files. I will try again! Thank you for the suggestion!