Released Patents show potential Wireless Valve Index

rcmaehl

Summary

Patents recently released to the public show several potential designs or updates for the Valve Index.

Media

image.png.bb3c30b7e0d59040ffb6d0f7d4753e05.png

image.png.452e8cd0c85b703fe3551c8f7bfddee8.png

Quotes

It seems Valve has issued an official patent for a wireless version of the Valve Index VR headset. A cable-free design... also includes eye tracking modules. There's even talk of inside-out tracking. "The back of the HMD may include a compartment having wireless transceivers, a battery, microphones, input/output devices, and/or other components to permit operation of the HMD." Coupled with the lack of output wires..., points quite definitively to it being a wireless design. To help bare the extra load, it looks like Valve have... a cushioned, adjustable skull brace. Any battery that's able deliver the necessary power for long enough to make it worth it will surely add a good bulk of weight. You can bet Valve will think to refining the headset's ergonomics. The patent mentions eye tracking, in that the design may include "many methods for tracking the eyes of the user." This could involve tracking "up to six degrees of freedom of each eye. The same kind of vagaries apply to head tracking details, although another patent has popped up which outlines the potential of headsets with inside-out tracking. This is all speculative. Just because a patent has been issued does not mean it will ever come to market.

My thoughts

It's about time the Index got wireless support. Both headsets, graphics cards, and wireless adapters have long been ready for this advance as indicated by other VR headsets having the ability. It's still yet to be seen if this is just an upgrade kit for the original Index or an entirely new headset. However, with both patents, I would place my bet on the Index 2 over an Index upgrade. Regardless, like the article states and like with all other patents, this may never even make it to market. At the very least, it shows us that Valve is at least working on much wanted improvements.

Sources

Patent (media source)

Patent 2

Kit Guru

PC Gamer (quote source)

Tech Radar

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

3 minutes ago, Arika S said:

That looks bulky and heavy

Hopefully if this ever gets released as an actual product, they don't ship it like it's shown here. Most likely they don't since I imagine patent drawings are quite crude in comparison to a public release.

Cool idea,though i hate it when screens are that close to my eyes.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

A wireless Index 2? Hhrrmm... this could potentially push me to finally upgrade from my Rift CV1.

Assuming it actually does happen, of course.

36 minutes ago, Sauron said:

leaked design of the next oculus headset:

Hide contents

Modular Motorcycle Helmet Scorpion EXO TECH PULSE Glossy ...

Sword Art Online Photo: Don't be scared Asuna! I'll protect you! :) | Sword  art, Sword art online wallpaper, Sword art online

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Oof, I was about to pull the trigger on the first Index, good thing I didn't - things like this coming up mean we may soon get an official announce from Valve.

15 hours ago, Sauron said:

leaked design of the next oculus headset:

Hide contents

Modular Motorcycle Helmet Scorpion EXO TECH PULSE Glossy ...

Valve Index 2 Helmet: Limited Edition

✨FNIGE✨