Intel tries to distract by "finishing the design" of a 7nm chip in Q2 2021

sounds

Summary

Intel announces a flurry of new things, none of which are products you can buy.

Quotes

• Two new fabs in Arizona, $20b investment
  • New Intel Foundry Services, offering Intel manufacturing to customers
  • Next generation 7nm chiplets for ‘Meteor Lake’ will finish design in Q2 2021
  • New research collaboration with IBM in foundational semiconductor design
  • New Intel Innovation event in Oct 2021, Spirit of IDF

My thoughts

Intel admits there will be no improvements in 2021 for their 14nm products such as Rocket Lake.

Sources

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16573/intels-new-strategy-20b-for-two-fabs-meteor-lake-7nm-tiles-new-foundry-services-ibm-collaboration-return-of-idf

1. @FakeNSA, there's something new around you!
2. Intel is trying to be TSMC? I hope it works out for them.

3. If it fails, they'll have great puns.

"Intel's Meteor Lake CPUs explode on impact"

"Meteor Lake has trouble staying in the air"

etc.

So Rocket Lake was pointless after all.

elephants

2 hours ago, sounds said:

New Intel Foundry Services

I so hope AMD buys time on it, just to spite them.

(though with IP being the way it is, they probably won't touch it with a 10 foot pole)

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / Seagate 1.5TB HDD | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

Intel is apparently willing to let other people submit their IP to Intel so that Intel can produce more 14nm chips. (Or 10nm or 7nm if you are willing to wait for your order to arrive in 2023.)

The very first comment on anandtech sums it up: "The article mentions potentially giving IBM access to Intel processes, but I can't imagine IBM is in a great hurry to have its processors manufactured by a direct competitor."

Intel has a lot of older capacity which could go to a lot of products in the general silicon industry. That's actually a good thing.

A Q2 2021 design completion means a 2023 product, maybe, when it comes to Intel. So, it's something. But Intel needs to actually deliver on the 7nm node. It's their first EUV node, so volume is a big question.

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

volume is a big question.

10nm was always used as the "just around the corner" promise to keep customers buying 14nm.

It's reasonable to be skeptical of Intel's press releases after all their benchmark stunts, undelivered 10nm promises, and lies.

2 minutes ago, sounds said:

10nm was always used as the "just around the corner" promise to keep customers buying 14nm.

It's reasonable to be skeptical of Intel's press releases after all their benchmark stunts, undelivered 10nm promises, and lies.

7nm was always going to be a massively different process from 10nm. The issue is EUV machines are notorious for volume. An issue that's hit TSMC and Samsung, and a cost issue that convinced GloFo to give up. Intel's 7nm is their first EUV node (they also apparently have more EUV machines than anyone else). So we simply have to wait and see.

Intel, hopefully, has better management & direction on their nodes after the 10nm disaster.

I mean we're getting nitpicky over process size but the differences at least in gaming between at least 10th gen (10700K and Ryzen 7 3700X) aren't that huge. I mean in some games the Intel part comes out ahead.

That being said, I like AMD. I've been around them more or less at least since the mid 2000s Athlon x2/Athlon 64 x2 days, and Ryzen is good but the Ryzen fanbase annoys me to no bounds and only jumped ship once Ryzen was shown to be such a hit, to the point that I would probably get an Intel chip when I do my next build.

My most recent AMD computers have had: A8 4500M, A8 6410, A10 9600P, and Ryzen 7 1700...

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 hour ago, sounds said:

Intel announces a flurry of new things, none of which are products you can buy.

It wasn't a product launch event.

1 hour ago, sounds said:

Intel admits there will be no improvements in 2021 for their 14nm products such as Rocket Lake.

That is some odd wording. It is obvious there will not be "improved" 14nm products after Rocket Lake, as Rocket Lake is expected to be the last mainstream desktop CPU on 14nm. So there is nothing to improve on 14nm beyond that. The improvement will be the 10nm Alder Lake offering, which I'm not aware of any indication of timeline other than previous statement it was an end of 2021 product for both desktop and mobile. Of course based on their recent history I wouldn't rule out delays, with a possible outcome being they'll prioritise mobile and push desktop into early 2022.

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

A Q2 2021 design completion means a 2023 product, maybe, when it comes to Intel. So, it's something. But Intel needs to actually deliver on the 7nm node. It's their first EUV node, so volume is a big question.

The source article says it will be a 2023 volume product. Will be interesting to see how the Alder Lake timeline works out as that might give better indication to Meteor Lake as its successor. Also consider it is Foveros based, so not all parts of the design may be made on the same process, and that might allow Intel to better utilise available manufacturing resource.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

7nm chiplets

Déjà vu (AMD from 2019)

Meteor Lake

Why the hell Intel's naming scheme is so bad?

IBM

I hope they come back to the PC market,IBM have been exiled from the PC market for way too long.

You can buy an IBM processor for a server,but for desktop there is only one vendor that sells these with ATX motherboards (Raptor Computing Systems)

Also they need to work out a solution for the difference in instruction set support on Windows (they could avoid it,but loose the chance to put their hand on market share)

Spirit of IDF

Intel Defense Forces?

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

38 minutes ago, porina said:

It wasn't a product launch event.

It was Intel trying to stay relevant. And just like Rocket Lake, sucking hard at it.

38 minutes ago, porina said:

That is some odd wording. It is obvious there will not be "improved" 14nm products after Rocket Lake, as Rocket Lake is expected to be the last mainstream desktop CPU on 14nm.

God, I hope so. If there's another 14nm CPU from Intel... I'm SO glad I was able to get a 3900XT, I think I would have been 'happy' with an i9 9900k, but dang. The 10900k and 11900k just... No appeal.

40 minutes ago, porina said:

The improvement will be the 10nm Alder Lake offering, which I'm not aware of any indication of timeline other than previous statement it was an end of 2021 product for both desktop and mobile.

With silicon shortages, it probably will be a 2022 or even 2023 product launch. But, who knows. By the time Alder Lake will launch, I will have hopefully replaced 3 Intel systems with 3 AMD systems.

I'm not an AMD fan. I've had Intel for the longest time. Everything after the 9000 series just... Wasn't worth it. The 'You need a new chipset every upgrade cycle!' thing got old, and it was what kept me from really upgrading my 4000 series i5 to anything other than a 4000 series equivalent Xeon. I know AM4 is EOL now, but I don't care at this point, I have no intention of upgrading past 5950X anyway.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

2 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

1. @FakeNSA, there's something new around you!
2. Intel is trying to be TSMC? I hope it works out for them.

3. If it fails, they'll have great puns.

"Intel's Meteor Lake CPUs explode on impact"

"Meteor Lake has trouble staying in the air"

etc.

So Rocket Lake was pointless after all.

Yep!

It's made the news a few times, actually (Intel already has massive investment in the valley, so it makes since to throw more in)

Might get to work there after I graduate!

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

Just now, Vishera said:

Intel Defense Forces?

Introducing, the most incompetent army ever! 😄 Yay!

They'll shoot you, but they will have to charge you first.

They have 10 magazines full of rounds, but each is a different caliber, so they have to switch guns, too!

1 minute ago, Sarra said:

They have 10 magazines full of rounds, but each is a different caliber, so they have to switch guns, too!

What nm are the rounds?,also are they FinFET or SuperFIN?

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

Just now, Vishera said:

SuperFIN Stabilized Discarding-crosspoint Tracer ammunition.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

They're all blanks.

3 minutes ago, Sarra said:

They're all blanks.

Just like the 11900K and the 11700K.

Just now, Vishera said:

Just like the 11900K.

Zing! 😄

Wait 7nm? What happened to 10nm? so are they trying to go with the same story our 7nm is as dense is tsmc's 5nm again?

1 hour ago, lostcattears said:

Wait 7nm? What happened to 10nm? so are they trying to go with the same story our 7nm is as dense is tsmc's 5nm again?

10nm is still in Intel's pipeline, they aren't skipping over it entirely. Their 7nm process still has a long way to go before we start seeing mass produced chips just yet, I'll leave this down below from the article. 

Pat Gelsinger will be stating today that the 7nm manufacturing node from Intel is now running on schedule, with a solid footing. The first product enabled with 7nm will be Ponte Vecchio, the upcoming high-performance compute accelerator for the Aurora supercomputer, however end-users might be more interested in Meteor Lake, a client CPU compute tile for a volume 2023 product. Intel will announce today that the compute tile / chiplet will finish tape-in (design IP verification) by Q2 2021, and will leverage Intel’s advanced packaging techniques. After design manufacturing, tape-out (whole chip design verification) usually takes 4-6+ months, and then the designs are sent to the fabs for initial production and test runs.

Still a long time from now, Intel will be releasing Alder Lake on 10nm SuperFIN supposedly 2H 2021 and they'll probably have a successor sometime next year, with 7nm beginning in 2023. 

You do realize the manufacturing node size is different across the semiconductor industry right??? Every semiconductor fabrication plant measures their transistors (gates I believe, if I'm not mistaken) differently. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

This is really more of an announcement regarding the manufacturing and roadmap side of things. It's not nearly as exciting as a product launch but it's no less important because it shows where the company is headed. 

Both the announcement of new fabs in Arizona alongside the opening of Intel's manufacturing to customers are what I see as potentially good things considering the issues with foundries like TSMC in dealing with massive demand. I think tech as a whole is waking up to the reality that maybe, just maybe, we've been too reliant on TSMC for manufacturing. 

And I know someone's gonna say "7nm in 2023? LMAO, AMD'S BEEN ON 7NM SINCE 2019 KEKEKE", so I'm just going to say what everyone else has said; You can't compare different manufacturing nodes simply by the nanometer figure. Just like how Samsung 8nm is significantly different from TSMC 7nm despite what the nm figure suggests, Intel's 7nm is going to be very different from TSMC 7nm, being closer in density to TSMC's 5nm node. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

6 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

I mean we're getting nitpicky over process size but the differences at least in gaming between at least 10th gen (10700K and Ryzen 7 3700X) aren't that huge. I mean in some games the Intel part comes out ahead.

That being said, I like AMD. I've been around them more or less at least since the mid 2000s Athlon x2/Athlon 64 x2 days, and Ryzen is good but the Ryzen fanbase annoys me to no bounds and only jumped ship once Ryzen was shown to be such a hit, to the point that I would probably get an Intel chip when I do my next build.

My most recent AMD computers have had: A8 4500M, A8 6410, A10 9600P, and Ryzen 7 1700...

Thats great that Intel still is somewhat competitive in gaming but that not what makes Intel being stuck on 14nm so bad. Smaller nodes generally are more efficient than larger ones and you can clearly see that when comparing Intel cpus power consumption vs ryzen. Its not even close as Intel has power consumption that is way higher than the ryzen counterpart. Sure some gamers might not care but I for one would if the parts are basically neck and neck in performance. I mean why would I want a chip that runs hotter if I can get one that runs cooler and has the same performance? Its going to bite Intel in the ass if they don't figure their stuff out. 

what's with the title

this is clearly not a product launch, more like a conference; did anyone expect intel to release 7 nm chips in this event?

2 minutes ago, dundundundun said:

did anyone expect intel to release 7 nm chips in this event?

Well, I sure didn't expect them to release anything in any event. At least, for once, I wasn't disappointed.