98 pc need 512mb ram quetion

so i got my gpu and mb in today and got an bootable 98se now im at the point of loading in to windows(and entering the cd key so the usb is removed) but i only got 2x 2gb sticks of ram...so ill have to get some 512m ram but my question is will this stick work?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1GB-512MB-X-2-DDR2-800-PC2-6400-Desktop-RAM-Computer-Memory-240pin-DIMM-CL2-5/224122927243?hash=item342ec4788b%3Ag%3AIKMAAOSwmuhexT10&LH_BIN=1

mb: ASUS P5KPL-AM SE

https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-p5kpl-am-se-motherboard-micro-atx-lga775-socket-g31-series/

https://www.asus.com/supportonly/P5KPL-AM SE/HelpDesk_QVL/

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

Intel is usually pretty good at accepting pretty much any RAM.

Why wouldn't the 2GB sticks work?

Also I can't believe someone would bother selling something like that to make $1.50.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

The RAM should be compatible, it is DDR2 PC2-6400, and the board says it supports both DDR2 PC2-6400 and PC2-5300.

But why do you need 512 MB RAM if you already have 4 GB?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

The RAM should be compatible, it is DDR2 PC2-6400, and the board says it supports both DDR2 PC2-6400 and PC2-5300.

But why do you need 512 MB RAM if you already have 4 GB?

i need it to boot in i guess then apply a patch for 4gb i guess

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

Just now, thrasher_565 said:

i need it to boot in i guess then apply a patch for 4gb i guess

Ah, you mean Windows 98 can't handle 4 GB out of the box? Quite possible. Been some time since I used it 😄

Completely forgot it's a 32 bit OS. So you probably won't even see the full 4GB, because some of those addresses will be mapped to other hardware instead.

it looks like this

7hbseyxlvr551.jpg

4 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Ah, you mean Windows 98 can't handle 4 GB out of the box? Quite possible. Been some time since I used it 😄

Completely forgot it's a 32 bit OS. So you probably won't even see the full 4GB, because some of those addresses will be mapped to other hardware instead.

ya i think there a guy that made a patch for it but he died but the family released it to the world for free i guess

https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A"Rudolph+R.+Loew"

1 minute ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya i think there a guy that made a patch for it but he died but the family released it to the world for free i guess

Ok, from what I could find, this patch is supposed to improve system stability on machines with more than 512 GB RAM. This makes it sound as if Win 98 should run with more, even without the patch, just that it might crash a lot.

The other thing is more of a hardware limitation. On a 32 bit system you only have 2^32 addresses and some of them are going to be mapped to other hardware. So you may only ever be able to see e.g. 3.5 GB of RAM as usable.

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Ok, from what I could find, this patch is supposed to improve system stability on machines with more than 512 GB RAM. This makes it sound as if Win 98 should run with more, even without the patch, just that it might crash a lot.

The other thing is more of a hardware limitation. On a 32 bit system you only have 2^32 addresses and some of them are going to be mapped to other hardware. So you may only ever be able to see e.g. 3.5 GB of RAM as usable.

hmm i did have an gt 7800 in there could that be the problem? its 256 vram thow i no i need unofficial drivers but im not even there yet.

i found this looks liek there a work around if you an edit a config fie on another os or something but i dont think i can do that

Try W7 instead.

4 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Try W7 instead.

its an 98 pc why would i do w7?

its an 98 pc why would i do w7?

Cause most or all the drivers will be packed in already.... but I thought maybe you was trying W10. 

Never mind then 🙂

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Cause most or all the drivers will be packed in already.... but I thought maybe you was trying W10. 

Never mind then 🙂

oh sounds like you didn't read my post haha i haven't install 98 yet is the problem.

oh sounds like you didn't read my post haha i haven't install 98 yet is the problem.

Pretty much didn't read I must admit. Sry but that.

Last time I installed W98 was many years ago from floppy. It was an OEM build and went pretty easy. 

I would have to ask some buddies,  maybe @Beerzerkermight have some ideas for this one. 

3 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

Do you have a 98 CD?

If not, do you have a CD-R or two and an optical drive capable of burning CDs?

I can get you a 98 SE image if you need one.

elephants

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Pretty much didn't read I must admit. Sry but that.

Last time I installed W98 was many years ago from floppy. It was an OEM build and went pretty easy. 

I would have to ask some buddies,  maybe @Beerzerkermight have some ideas for this one. 

ya that ok man no problem. i 99% about needing 512mb ram witch i ordered so

7 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Do you have a 98 CD?

If not, do you have a CD-R or two and an optical drive capable of burning CDs?

I can get you a 98 SE image if you need one.

i dont think thats the problem i made a usb boot drive. i followed this guide made it to 11.20 in the video and im at the part of taking out the usb stick and typing in the cd key but i get the error message pic above witch im 99% need 512mb ram instead of 2gb.

i also have 120gb ssd maybe that too big? but i read some ware it can do like 137gb or so

Edited by thrasher_565

i dont think thats the problem i made a usb boot drive. i followed this guide made it to 11.20 in the video and im at the part of taking out the usb stick and typing in the cd key but i get the error message pic above witch im 99% need 512mb ram instead of 2gb.

I have some 512MB DDR2 sticks, though I'm not sure if there's an easy way to get them to you (unless your location is inaccurate, we don't live on the same continent).

Is there something stopping you from just getting a 512MB DDR2 DIMM?

elephants

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

I have some 512MB DDR2 sticks, though I'm not sure if there's an easy way to get them to you (unless your location is inaccurate, we don't live on the same continent).

Is there something stopping you from just getting a 512MB DDR2 DIMM?

i order it.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1GB-512MB-X-2-DDR2-800-PC2-6400-Desktop-RAM-Computer-Memory-240pin-DIMM-CL2-5/224122927243?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Sorry I took so long to see this.
Win 98 can only handle up to 1024MB of RAM, any more and the OS just can't handle it period, no matter what you do.
It's the same with ME as I found out BUT you also have to do a "From Scratch" install of the OS to make it work, if you don't 512MB's is the limit. If you ever remove the sticks and set in a lesser amount of RAM the OS will configure itself to that amount and you'll lose the capability to run 1024MB's.

I can't say for sure since it's been so long but I believe there is a way to configure the OS so it can run 1024MB's without a fresh install but it's best to do it that way.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

17 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Sorry I took so long to see this.
Win 98 can only handle up to 1024MB of RAM, any more and the OS just can't handle it period, no matter what you do.
It's the same with ME as I found out BUT you also have to do a "From Scratch" install of the OS to make it work, if you don't 512MB's is the limit. If you ever remove the sticks and set in a lesser amount of RAM the OS will configure itself to that amount and you'll lose the capability to run 1024MB's.

I can't say for sure since it's been so long but I believe there is a way to configure the OS so it can run 1024MB's without a fresh install but it's best to do it that way.

its a fresh install... like i said i was at the point of putting in the cd key but i got that error. only other thing i can think of is the 120gb ssd if the 512 dose not work then ill try that.

its defiantly posable to have 4gb of ram in windows 98 after a patch is installed. weather it use it or not that's debatable.

Edited by thrasher_565

This must be what you are referring to.
PATCHMEM - Win9x patch to use up to 4GB of RAM : Rudolph R. Loew : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Didn't have that when I was running my Win 9X stuff, I do hope you can make it work.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

18 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

This must be what you are referring to.
PATCHMEM - Win9x patch to use up to 4GB of RAM : Rudolph R. Loew : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Didn't have that when I was running my Win 9X stuff, I do hope you can make it work.

ya thats it. sadly the guy passed away but the fam made it public to everyone. im guessing he use to charge for it.

@thrasher_565
You have a PM.

ya so i got the ram and ran in to another problem.... but i fixed it had to set the ssd in to compatibility mode in the bios.

in the second video he says he found ethernet drivers for 98se for the ASUS P5KPL-AM SE mb but i cant seem to find it... i wish when people make guides POST all the links to working drivers...

anyway i kinda got the  7800 gt working but i dont no still could not change the desktop res but some how i disabled the usb drivers...so have to re install...fun

the 4gb ram that i got with the mb came up with a blue screen say something it was not  compatible or something but the 1gb ram that i got off ebay worked fine i can get a better pic of the error if you want. i installed the 4gb patch.

2x2gb ram kingston kvr800d2n5/2g

2x1gb ram QIMONDA HYS64T64000EU-2.5-B2