Ryzen 5 3600 bottleneck an RTX Rog Strix 3070?

Mr Jeffer
Go to solution Solved by Mark Kaine,

My guess is maybe bad overclock, possibly on both cpu and gpu.

Also going from my experience with warzone, which seems to be pretty similar,  165 with this GPU is nearly impossible,  maybe with lowest settings (maybe)  

Which you can also see that your cpu isn't bottlenecking anything,  it's the gpu that's close to max. 

Try playing without OC, see if anything is different,  and also for fun can try playing at 1080p, that's considerably more easy on the system in my experience (with warzone)

Hi All,

I'm Playing Cold War Zombies and I don't seem to get a stable 165 FPS with Medium / High Settings - I have Raytracing turned off.

I have capped the FPS at 165 in game and 60 fps in menu and 30 when not tabbed in. I get around 110 - 130fps sometimes below 100fps for a few seconds then shoots back up..

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 OC @ 4.45 

GPU: RTX Rog Strix 3070 OC 8GB, Overclocked using OC Scanner from GPU Tweak 2

Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B450-F Gaming

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

PSU: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Case: NZXT H440

Monitor: Gigabyte G27QC 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor

Thanks

Untitled.png

Well the 3070 is essentially a 2080ti and the r5 3600 sure would bottleneck a 2080ti in quite a few titles. Also totally depends on game and settings. The settings you are running almost guaranteed you a bottleneck as the lower the visual settings the more likely you are to run into a cpu bottleneck. In this case it would be hard to determine what is your limiting factor without any knowledge on what your gpu and cpu usage looks like. It could totally be the case that the 3070 just can't do 165 fps at 1440p but unless you you give us numbers like gpu usuage there would be no way to tell. It could be that it is 100% a cpu bottleneck and your gpu is never fully utilized but again not enough info to determine that. 

37 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Well the 3070 is essentially a 2080ti and the r5 3600 sure would bottleneck a 2080ti in quite a few titles. Also totally depends on game and settings. The settings you are running almost guaranteed you a bottleneck as the lower the visual settings the more likely you are to run into a cpu bottleneck. In this case it would be hard to determine what is your limiting factor without any knowledge on what your gpu and cpu usage looks like. It could totally be the case that the 3070 just can't do 165 fps at 1440p but unless you you give us numbers like gpu usuage there would be no way to tell. It could be that it is 100% a cpu bottleneck and your gpu is never fully utilized but again not enough info to determine that. 

How do I go about getting you this info?

13 minutes ago, Mr Jeffer said:

How do I go about getting you this info?

One way is to check the performance tab in task manager, it shows you both CPU & GPU utilization among other things.

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

28 minutes ago, Stockholmes said:

One way is to check the performance tab in task manager, it shows you both CPU & GPU utilization among other things.

From looking at my Resource Monitor on Task manager, My CPU is around 60% - 67% Usage

This is with Cold war open and in game, my memory seems to be abit high also?

image.thumb.png.77d5f32fd836ff2c7ce30c6493057fd9.png

Weird that your GPU is basically running at its limit (98%) utilization´but the CPU only at 64%. Maybe it can go higher than that though? If you have 2 monitors you could run the task manager on the other screen and see how far it can climb. I don't know anything about Cold War but I would think you could hit 165 fps with a 3070.

From the looks of it you are running a slight cpu bottleneck but not a huge one either. You are running near full capacity on your gpu so its not like you would see any significant difference in fps if you had a faster cpu. My guess is that you wouldn't get 165 fps consistently even with a much faster cpu. 

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

My guess is that you wouldn't get 165 fps consistently even with a much faster cpu. 

i think so

his gpu usage is higher than cpu so is not a proper cpu bottleneck, will get few extra fps with a ryzen 5000 or i7 10700k? sure but i dont think is worth

15 hours ago, Tonyx said:

i think so

his gpu usage is higher than cpu so is not a proper cpu bottleneck, will get few extra fps with a ryzen 5000 or i7 10700k? sure but i dont think is worth

That not even how that works. As soon as a cpu has a thread that is at 100% usage you can start to have a cpu bottleneck. That means for a 6 core cpu so long as you have a cpu usage of 1/12 or above you run into the possibility of a cpu bottleneck. Its much easier if you have a cpu utilization number that is separate by thread as then you can see if any one of your threads is at 100% load. The fact is that if your gpu is not a 100% usage it means you have run into a bottleneck somewhere in your system. Which could be anywhere from memory bandwidth to ram to your cpu but generally speaking cpu is the most common one so I am fairly certain it a slight cpu bottleneck in this case. 

Also going from my experience with warzone, which seems to be pretty similar,  165 with this GPU is nearly impossible,  maybe with lowest settings (maybe)  

Which you can also see that your cpu isn't bottlenecking anything,  it's the gpu that's close to max. 

Try playing without OC, see if anything is different,  and also for fun can try playing at 1080p, that's considerably more easy on the system in my experience (with warzone)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 3/24/2021 at 5:47 PM, Mark Kaine said:

Cheers, tested it without OC and it seems to be stable around 155 fps. Thanks for the tip 🙂