why is my 3900X vcore so high at idle?

Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,

100% normal. This is due to the boosting algorithm in Zen 2 and 3 CPUs. 

i currently have a crosshair 7 hero non wifi alongside a 3900X being cooled by a 360mm aio. temps at idle hover around 48-51c seems high for idle also my vcore sits around 1.48 as for my bios all settings are stock excpet for docp which is set to 3733 mhz which is what my ram runs at any ideas or tips on how to fix this also if it matters i use the 1usmus balanced plan

Screenshot (20).png

Screenshot (21).png

airflow-idea-4.png.ed2b7eb77f79a8c22e93843c11f16f77.png

cmml360r.jpg

100% normal. This is due to the boosting algorithm in Zen 2 and 3 CPUs. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

but im using a 360mm aio with 6 fan in push/pull idle temps shouldnt be this high

1 minute ago, dreamcast4599 said:

but im using a 360mm aio with 6 fan in push/pull idle temps shouldnt be this high

yes... yes it will with the vcore that high. I have a full custom loop with a water block from Optimus water cooling specifically designed for AM4 and is the best waterblock on the market and I idle in the mid to upper 40s as well with my 3700x. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

8 minutes ago, dreamcast4599 said:

is there any way i can get the vcore lower at idle?

Manually undervolt it

Do remember to quote or mention ( @Skiiwee29) when replying

Though I don't see a reason to, as it's AMD stock specification so they should run fine, haven't seen evidence of it damaging chips as it's high voltage but low current

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

7 minutes ago, dreamcast4599 said:

is there any way i can get the vcore lower at idle?

You can try and set a negative offset in your BIOS. Most can achieve around a -.05 or -.075 offset on average before instability. However, there is really no need. It may take some time to get use to seeing different numbers, but it will no in any way shape or form affect your chip or its performance or degrade it at all. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

@AussieDronePilot i figured out my issue for anyone else with my issue in the ryzen power plan if the maximum power state is set to 100% then the cpu will most likely boot 10 its max rated clock speed at idle if pbo is on even if cpu is only hitting 10% usage like mine was setting the power state to 99% fixed this but pbo doesnt boost as high and im ok with that since temps are lower

9 minutes ago, dreamcast4599 said:

@AussieDronePilot i figured out my issue for anyone else with my issue in the ryzen power plan if the maximum power state is set to 100% then the cpu will most likely boot 10 its max rated clock speed at idle if pbo is on even if cpu is only hitting 10% usage like mine was setting the power state to 99% fixed this but pbo doesnt boost as high and im ok with that since temps are lower

3600 has, and continues to have (apparently)  similar issues... at some point AMD themselves recommend 85% minimum and 100% maximum settings which actually fixed the high idle voltages (which btw *will* degrade your chip faster,  anything above 1.35 "constantly" is not recommended and not how these chips are designed either,  short bursts, yes, but continuesly, no)

So I think your settings have a similar effect,  and also PBO is overrated. 

Been running without it for years,  no noticeable performance changes with PBO on.  (But the chip is 20C hotter anyway lol)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2021 at 1:38 PM, Mark Kaine said:

3600 has, and continues to have (apparently)  similar issues... at some point AMD themselves recommend 85% minimum and 100% maximum settings which actually fixed the high idle voltages (which btw *will* degrade your chip faster,  anything above 1.35 "constantly" is not recommended and not how these chips are designed either,  short bursts, yes, but continuesly, no)

So I think your settings have a similar effect,  and also PBO is overrated. 

Been running without it for years,  no noticeable performance changes with PBO on.  (But the chip is 20C hotter anyway lol)

yup with maximum power state set to 100 my 3900x will boost at idle to max speed with pbo on hence why my cpu was so hot lol

4 minutes ago, dreamcast4599 said:

yup with maximum power state set to 100 my 3900x will boost at idle to max speed with pbo on hence why my cpu was so hot lol

I mean i can't tell *why* but I noticed something funny... with newest windows version this behavior completely changes (its Microsoft who implements the power usage plans after all, not AMD, they can only suggest Microsoft what to do with it) so the cpu down clocks perfectly fine to like 400mhz at idle,  voltages will be like 300mv... fantastic,  absolutely perfect and to spec as far I can tell, it'll also boost under load exactly as expected.  The problem is,  it'll now crash regularly at idle,  at least once a day...!

So I suspect the powerplans now provide actually too little voltages while idle lol...

But going back to older windows,  power plan to 85/100, voltage rarely goes below 900mv, boost is largely unchanged,  and no crashes whatsoever for months,  absolutely stable and without pbo, remarkably cool.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer