What's the best free OS for elementary school build?

akranjc71

Me and a couple of other students are building a PC for our classroom and the teacher said we can't use windows because they are too expensive. I made some research and not activating windows is apparently illegal. I have a code for windows 7 pro which works with windows 10 pro, but that's apparently illegal as well. Teacher said we'll use ubuntu, but I don't think that's a good idea since some kids don't even know what an operating sistem is. Is the scuffed version of windows 10 (https://youtu.be/nwkiU6GG-YU) relevant? Do you have any other recommendations?

8 minutes ago, akranjc71 said:

Me and a couple of other students are building a PC for our classroom and the teacher said we can't use windows because they are too expensive. I made some research and not activating windows is apparently illegal. I have a code for windows 7 pro which works with windows 10 pro, but that's apparently illegal as well. Teacher said we'll use ubuntu, but I don't think that's a good idea since some kids don't even know what an operating sistem is. Is the scuffed version of windows 10 (https://youtu.be/nwkiU6GG-YU) relevant? Do you have any other recommendations?

TBH, you really only have two choices:

Windows

Everything Else.

Linux can be made to look very Windows-Like (in the GUI at least) but the issue will come with the software installs.

OS aside, what do they hope or wish to accomplish with this system?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

10 minutes ago, akranjc71 said:

not activating windows is apparently illegal

Not activating Windows 10 is perfectly fine, you just won't get some perks like background customization.

elephants

5 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Windows

Everything Else.

Linux can be made to look very Windows-Like (in the GUI at least) but the issue will come with the software installs.

No acutally. Chrome OS is not free, but like google chrome and chromium, there is an open source of chrome os, chromium os.

https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os its pretty close to being the same as chrome os and is probably what you want

Edit: It seems chromium os is dead so thats likely not the best

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Windows

Everything Else.

Probably just browsing internet and MS Office. Maby some light video editing (Shotcut and DaVinci Resolved)

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

Not activating Windows 10 is perfectly fine, you just won't get some perks like background customization.

Oh okay I'll suggest that then

Can you get education pricing for windows? Microsoft sells windows much under retail for schools, so id look into doing that.

Are these systems managed? How are you managing them?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Can you get education pricing for windows? Microsoft sells windows much under retail for schools, so id look into doing that.

Are these systems managed? How are you managing them?

I don't know about managing, they probably are

1 minute ago, akranjc71 said:

I don't know about managing, they probably are

Gonna want to find out about that first. That can be very os specific.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Gonna want to find out about that first. That can be very os specific.

I think there will be ShareX installed

42 minutes ago, akranjc71 said:

MS Office

If you have to have MS Office, then you are locked into Windows.

If you can use a workalike, then *nix is still an option.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

13 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

It might be alright for home use. But they are talking about using system in education setting. Morally, teaching kids that you can take advantage of others without compensation. Not generally good way to go.

13 hours ago, akranjc71 said:

I have a code for windows 7 pro which works with windows 10 pro, but that's apparently illegal as well.

No. Using existing Win7 key would be fine. Microsoft has officially discontinued the program for it, but that only means they don't provide support for it. If key works, it works and is fine. If it doesn't, you can't go and complain about it since officially it isn't supposed to work anymore.

13 hours ago, akranjc71 said:

Teacher said we'll use ubuntu, but I don't think that's a good idea since some kids don't even know what an operating sistem is.

Which would be great opportunity going forward. Since kids learn things overall easier, it would be good thing to learn things in something non-Windows. Even switching OS between couple distros to show how different things can be just between two versions of same thing.

In fact, the thin clients in my upper secondary school had Ubuntu. For me adjusting was easy, coming from Win95, Win98, Win2000, WinXP and some Ubuntu background. For some others, only using Win98 and WinXP, not so much.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

wouldn't elementary os be a option ? free Linux distro

other then that I would maybe recommend chrome OS with cloudready 

On 3/21/2021 at 5:03 PM, FakeKGB said:

On 3/21/2021 at 5:04 PM, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

The license terms say that it is prohibited to ommit the activation process, you can use not activated Windows with no issues.

No, that is perfectly normal.

If you need anything Windows-like then I would go for Linux Mint.

In the workspace it is, which includes schools. You need to be able to provide Proof of Purchase for the current version of Windows on the System on request from a authentic verifiable source recognized by Microsoft. I am not sure about the Upgrade from 7 to 10 using the key, however it would need to follow the same guidelines. OEM keys can be used if the device shipped with that specific OEM key when it was new.

It's also against Microsoft's ToS to not activate Windows.

On 3/21/2021 at 5:12 PM, akranjc71 said:

I think there will be ShareX installed

On 3/21/2021 at 5:03 PM, akranjc71 said:

Probably just browsing internet and MS Office. Maby some light video editing (Shotcut and DaVinci Resolved)

Share X and MS Office are both Microsoft Windows Specific Applications, you would need to use Linux Alternatives or WebApps.

MS Office can be substituted with LibreOffice, Microsoft Office for Web, or Google Docs. No idea about ShareX.

For a School System, I would go with something Simple. ElementaryOS, Ubuntu, and Fedora come to mind.

16 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

In the workspace it is, which includes schools. You need to be able to provide Proof of Purchase for the current version of Windows on the System on request from a authentic verifiable source recognized by Microsoft. I am not sure about the Upgrade from 7 to 10 using the key, however it would need to follow the same guidelines. OEM keys can be used if the device shipped with that specific OEM key when it was new.

It's also against Microsoft's ToS to not activate Windows.

Share X and MS Office are both Microsoft Windows Specific Applications, you would need to use Linux Alternatives or WebApps.

MS Office can be substituted with LibreOffice, Microsoft Office for Web, or Google Docs. No idea about ShareX.

For a School System, I would go with something Simple. ElementaryOS, Ubuntu, and Fedora come to mind.

I am perfectly okay with ShareX not installed because I hate the idea that the school can see literally everything that we do.

But the problem are office programs. I was told that Excel formulas don't work on other offices like LibreOffice, OpenOffice and OnlyOffice. What's up with that?

On 3/22/2021 at 5:51 AM, akranjc71 said:

I think Windows 10 (not activated is still) pretty good because most programs support it and its the standard Os and Im pretty sure a cop is not gonna just bust into ur door and fine u I used unactivated Windows 10 for almost 2 years and nothing happened to me, If u really dont want to use unactivated, you can try Linux(which is what I use) but theres a learning curve and u will probably have to use Free Office or Libre Office, you could always give linux a try just take a usb and have a test and see do u like it, if u don't u could alway choose another distro( ex Manjaro, Pop Os, Ubuntu) or desktop envoirment( ex Kde, XFCE, Gnome)
Yes I use two Operating Systems.

On 3/22/2021 at 5:51 AM, akranjc71 said:

I recommend u use Windows 10 unactivated u will just have a watermark at the right bottom side of ur screen and not be able to change the wallpaper. Switching to linux means tht ur whole class gotto learn linux which is a little hard for casual users.

On 3/22/2021 at 10:51 AM, akranjc71 said:

Why not use a Red Hat based distribution like Fedora, CentOS Stream or Red Hat itself (for official Red Hat installations, Red Hat still charges licenses beyond 16 machines).

I'd personally recommend Fedora since ideally, these systems should be disposable (files managed in the cloud, ideally systems should be able to be redeployed without any data loss).  Fedora is good because:

1. Based on Red Hat which has a lot better support for Active Directory - this is a must for any Windows Network (I'm almost 100% sure that every school has Active Directory implemented to some degree). 
  2. Being based on Red Hat also means that it will work with most Linux Hardening guidelines - I'd highly suggest creating a Linux Hardening Guide (I can help you with this).
  3. Supports a kickstart installation, this means you write a file, bundle it into an ISO, and just boot from the USB and boom it installs automatically with all the packages, scripts and configs you want.

My personal suggestion would be to create a kickstart file and golden ISO for it.  https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora/rawhide/install-guide/advanced/Kickstart_Installations/

To make it even better, if your network has DHCP you can pull the kickstart file from the network. 

You can also use a service like Foreman https://www.theforeman.org to manage automated deployment and patching of the hosts.

You can also use a service like FreeIPA https://www.freeipa.org/page/Main_Page which can help you move away from Active Directory and save on costs.

---------

Some of this might sound complicated, do what you can - I still stand by my recommendation for Fedora and CentOS Stream as the best free Operating Systems. 

DONT use inactivated windows 10. That's a terrible idea, your school could be liable to pay Microsoft.  You should reach out to Microsoft and get a licensing deal if you want to use Windows.

Using Windows without activating is not illegal. Windows will not allow you to change the background of your desktop and will not allow to update to new builds only security update will come. If you prefer Linux you can use Elementary  Os or Zorin Os they have a User-Friendly Interface

If my answer is correct or is helpful please mark it as the solution. Quote me in your post to summon me. Beware that after summoning me ill never leave. 

9 hours ago, akranjc71 said:

I am perfectly okay with ShareX not installed because I hate the idea that the school can see literally everything that we do.

But the problem are office programs. I was told that Excel formulas don't work on other offices like LibreOffice, OpenOffice and OnlyOffice. What's up with that?

I have personally had little to no problems in terms of compatibility with LibreOffice, however I don't do anything complex in Office and mostly stick to Word. Considering LibreOffice is cross-platform, you could always download it and check to see what compatibility issues you might run into. If it's for use in a elementary school, it's probably fine. The compatibility issues that do arise are just a problem of Proprietary vs FOSS software and whether there is a demand in the FOSS community for a specific feature.

11 hours ago, akranjc71 said:

Their property, their rules. As a kid I would have agreed with you. As an adult, I don't.

9 hours ago, Kedric Pon said:

I think Windows 10 (not activated is still) ...

Teaching kids to steal is not very good idea overall. If you teach that something can be misused or that everything in the world is free, that causes more problems in the long run. As education method, it would be better to use the free alternatives.

As for formulas, they won't work as is ofc. The language and terms used are different. Just like using Google Sheets vs Excel is. That doesn't mean it can't be done. Also, how complex things we are talking about here? For elementary students? Like I have only learned more complex Excel formulas after high school.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 3/21/2021 at 9:51 PM, akranjc71 said:

Ubuntu isn't that complicated, it should be easy enough for kids. Ubuntu is mostly difficult for people who are used to windows. But most offices later in life currently use windows, so it may be advantageous. but I'm pretty sure that Windows 10 with a 7 key isn't illegal, because Microsoft couldn't just accidentally allow the 7 codes on 10.

If you have a win 7 licenced pc, the 10 upgrade is still free.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/windows-7-to-windows-10-upgrade/36268a66-1123-408d-8805-608e315e2b6f

any linux distro, apart from certain now paid versions, :old-annoyed: zorin, had windows on linux capability built in.

https://distrowatch.com/

On 3/21/2021 at 6:03 PM, akranjc71 said:

Sounds like linux would be your best bet. there are also... ways to get windows for free that the rules don't allow me to discuss

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they