What tech do you find.... Annoying?

Beerzerker
Message added by SansVarnic,

Please utilized the Muti-Quote Function. It Exists. Use It.

If you need to add more content, edit your comment to add more.

1 minute ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

Obviously for any company to be fine with their contractors using child labour is horrendous, but there is no conceivable way that every other tech company has completely ousted the use of child labour; again, the data suggests Samsung and many other Android phone brands to be on par, if not worse than Apple with regards to labour and human rights.

Of course. Samsung and Apple really don't have any excuse for knowing about child labor and forcing status quo when the vendor is trying to change for the better. The other problem is that most other companies might not have the "we have $30 billion, we demand change or we will never use you as a vendor" clout that Apple and Samsung do, but look at Steve from GN, the LMG staff, and some other 'smaller companies' that have entirely committed to having an ethical supply chain for physical products. It can be done. The management at Apple and Samsung are not committed, and probably don't give a crap as long as they keep raking in billions.

4 minutes ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

I definitely agree with your stance on Apple's war against the right to repair, but again, a huge number of companies you look at are making their products less and less accessible for user repairs, and charging a huge amount for first party repairs too. Soldered components are the norm these days, as are non-removable batteries.

I think the problem here is that Apple is the "industry leader". We have absolute crap phone screen notches because of them, they did it and everyone else copied it. I still use wired headphones, but I don't think my next phone will have a 3.5mm jack, thanks to Apple. If Apple does it, makes a profit, then everyone else, including Samsung, copies it.

6 minutes ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

As for Bixby, that sounds horrendous, I don't ever use Siri, but I would be livid if I had to pay Apple monthly to use it.

Well, Bixby is "free", you just have to sign up for a Samsung account to get it working, but I seriously won't be surprised if there's a monthly charge from Apple to use Siri in the future. o.x Actually, there technically is a "charge" from Apple to use Siri. Same with Cortana on Windows, and Bixby on Samsung. The "charge" is the data that the company gets when you use the service.

7 minutes ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

I think it's naïve to say that Apple became what they were fighting against. Intel and Microsoft were and still are their competitors (hence the "fighting"), and for Apple to strike gold with the iPhone and iPod, well, surely that's what they would have wanted as a company? To grow. Perfecting products is nothing to hold against any company, a perfected product is the consumers dream!

Apple started out as the "alternative to Windows", freedom from the corporate overlords, etc. They wanted a better experience for their users, better interfaces, etc., and that's what they did. The problem is that instead of staying true to their roots, instead of keeping that spark that made the G4 and G5 special, they turned into Microsoft 2.0, and Intel 2.0, at the same time.

I loved the iPod touch. I never could afford one, but I wanted one really bad. It was really cool, and such a better alternative to a CD player. But that really cool feeling is really gone now, especially when you consider that their competitors are making better products, and pricing them better. Apple did really turn into what they were 'fighting against" back in the 1990's and 2000's.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

More and more phones removing the back fingerprint scanner and instead having face unlock and under screen fingerprint sensor.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

5 hours ago, SGT-AMD said:

is that supposed to clarify something? that's just a wiki on the DNC. We've already gone into that info earlier and my point still stands

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

On 3/20/2021 at 3:55 PM, Murasaki said:

Modern phones and their increasing sizes. Our hands aren't getting bigger and our eyes arent getting worse. MAKE SMALLER PHONES PLEASE.

You would absolutely hate my Sonim XP8800.

Nearly 6" x 3.50" x .71" and weighing in at close to 12 ounces. A big chunk of that being the Li-Ion 4900 mAh battery.

She's a beast built for abuse and that won't fly out of my pocket while riding my motorcycle!

VCOM_Sonim_2.jpg

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

2 minutes ago, Rocketdog2112 said:

You would absolutely hate my Sonim XP8800.

Nearly 6" x 3.50" x .71" and weighing in at close to 12 ounces.

She's a beast built for abuse and that won't fly out of my pocket while riding my motorcycle!

I've never been in the need for a rugged phone though so can't say I hate it. I kinda like its design actually.

That new bedrock version of Minecraft on my Nintendo Switch. Every time I want to play, it makes me log into my MS account which takes 5 minutes, then there's a chance the skins and worlds won't load. All you can do then is go to the the home screen and force quit the game. Then you'll be stuck at "Closing Software" for like 2 minutes before it causes a crash. Only then can you start the game and enter a world. It also lags to hell, and the controls feel super clunky and not programed properly.

I got that Nintendo Switch purely because I wanted to play the Console Edition of Minecraft, then they had to go and replace it with Pocket Edition which isn't at all properly ported to any console I've seen. My switch now lives as an offline machine, only being used to play Console Edition. No more game updates, which I've come to like because MC is getting a bit too complicated for my liking. They discontinued the Console Edition so it's not like I'm missing out on anything.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

11 minutes ago, SGT-AMD said:

I guess you didn't read it, oh well

And I guess you want to post a link and make assumptions on what I read or didn't read without answering the question of what you wanted to clarify with that. I did read over it looking for whatever point you wanted to make. So if you want to provide some clarification, you could let me know what eye opening info I'm supposed to see in here

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

14 hours ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

phones. i hate calling people so much. my iPhone is more of a texting an emailing device lmao, i almost never use the "phone" aspect of it. i much prefer texting as i don't have to immediately think of a response. 

I too get irrationally angry at phone calls and I have it set on iPhone to automatically ignore any phone calls that are not from my contacts (and even then it gets annoying when someone calls on the work phone).

A phone call is basically like an interrupt, like saying to someone "drop everything you're doing right now and serve me". Where as a text message is like a task queue "here's some stuff I'd like you to get to but do it on your time". So unless you literally pay me for my time, I will not take your phone call (ironically all colleagues don't use phones either, most communication is done via IM with the occasional scheduled meeting).

4 hours ago, StackUnderflow said:

. phone call is basically like an interrupt, like saying to someone "drop everything you're doing right now and serve me". Where as a text message is like a task queue "here's some stuff I'd like you to get to but do it on your time"

In some cases, a phone call is just better.

If you're doing any conversation with more than about 2 questions, and there is some reason I can't be given all the questions all at once, then text messages quickly get irritating. What would be a minute long phone call becomes 5 or 10 minutes of text messaging.

Text messages work best where the information to be conveyed is concise and non-urgent. If it's not concise then send an email or send a text asking when you're free to call. If it's urgent then I'm a lot more comfortable with a call as I can be sure the other person has got the information.

Similar with ordering food. Reading off my order over the phone takes a couple of minutes; keying into an app takes much longer.

Also, I take the view that if I you're doing anything you genuinely can't be disturbed from, you should have your phone switched off anyway.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

3 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

In some cases, a phone call is just better.

If you're doing any conversation with more than about 2 questions, and there is some reason I can't be given all the questions all at once, then text messages quickly get irritating. What would be a minute long phone call becomes 5 or 10 minutes of text messaging.

Text messages work best where the information to be conveyed is concise and non-urgent. If it's not concise then send an email or send a text asking when you're free to call. If it's urgent then I'm a lot more comfortable with a call as I can be sure the other person has got the information.

Similar with ordering food. Reading off my order over the phone takes a couple of minutes; keying into an app takes much longer.

Also, I take the view that if I you're doing anything you genuinely can't be disturbed from, you should have your phone switched off anyway.

I sort of agree with parts of what you're saying and disagree with other parts. I'm mostly talking about disliking non-work related unscheduled calls.

Yes a phone call/Zoom meeting is better at rapid fire Q/A than sending long IMs. I can't think of a situation where IM isn't concise enough for anything except for work. And for 90% of work communications IM is OK and for the rest, if I send off an IM with 7 bullet points, the other party generally will ask for a short 5 minute Zoom meeting and sort everyone out (on top of regular scheduled meetings). 

Regarding urgency, I've gotten to the point where emails and IMs will reach my brain faster than calling will. I generally read emails and IMs immediately after they arrive and will prioritize in my brain there and then how and when to respond. I wont pick up phone calls.

Maybe it's just me but I work in an environment where to touch personal things (like a phone) I have to take off my gloves, do the thing, put on new gloves, and re-sterilize the hands before I can continue working for parts of the day. So I minimize having to touch anything while work is happening. An text message or email will pop up with a notification on the iPad besides me so I can immediately glance at the content preview instead of having to touch anything to get information, and if and only if its something I want to respond to immediately, do I go through with the glove shuffle (and this sort of mentality of you're annoying me without additional information if you cold call just carries on to the rest of life). 

Phone calls have their place, and that place for me is calling customer service (or HR or administration or someone who's job is to take my calls) (though if chat is available I'll generally use chat since I can do something else at the same time). I have multiple times rejected phone calls outright with a text message follow up asking what's going on (mainly for older family).

I don't agree with the food ordering thing. Keying into an app/website is so much faster and more accurate than reading it to a human on the other side. The audio is shitty and the person at the other side is (most of the time) either slow and/or is not motivated to get your order right. Plus you don't have to talk to a stranger. I have never had this issue with apps.

I have multiple times rejected phone calls outright with a text message follow up asking what's going on (mainly for older family).

It pisses me off when people do that.

I would understand if someone wasn't free to talk to me, but if they are available and happy to talk and are just being picky about it, it annoys me.

If you're going to reply by text, you still have to touch the phone; why is it any more effort just to talk properly?

Edit: I should clarify that it pisses me off equally if I text someone and they respond by phoning me. Just let the instigator of the conversation decide the medium and don't mess them around. I view that as common courtesy tbh.

I don't agree with the food ordering thing. Keying into an app/website is so much faster and more accurate than reading it to a human on the other side. The audio is shitty and the person at the other side is either slow and/or is not motivated to get your order right. Plus you don't have to talk to a stranger. I have never had this issue with apps.

In an ideal world yes that would be the case. But all the places I order food from have utterly obtuse apps/websites which were clearly designed by someone who never has to actually use the damn thing.

Things such as not providing dietary information in the app, having loads of categories and no decent search function, and lots of special offers with no indication of which works out cheapest.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Texting (To me) is just a way to avoid an actual conversation if I'm not wanting to get into one at that time but there are times texts are just useful too. If I don't have time for conversation or if in a place/situation talking for me or the recipient isn't feasable then texting is fine, understandable in fact.

The only time I really ignore the phone either way is when driving - It can wait, at least until I can pull off somewhere out of the way.

I don't like talking on the phone very much so a text works, gets what I need to relay to who needs to see it but there are times when actually speaking instead of texting is better.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

47 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

It pisses me off when people do that.

I would understand if someone wasn't free to talk to me, but if they are available and happy to talk and are just being picky about it, it annoys me.

If you're going to reply by text, you still have to touch the phone; why is it any more effort just to talk properly?

Edit: I should clarify that it pisses me off equally if I text someone and they respond by phoning me. Just let the instigator of the conversation decide the medium and don't mess them around. I view that as common courtesy tbh.

Sort of... if I receive a phone call while gloved, I just let it ring out and voicemail (so IM or email is better for urgent stuff). The reject and text is if I'm at work and I'm free to talk personal stuff but I really don't want to speak and let everyone overhear me and my personal stuff (even for something as simple as plane tickets or taxes or whatever). 

I will generally pick up calls from family if I'm just gaming or binge watching TV. But then I have to pause what I'm doing and we start the phone/video call with me slightly annoyed.

I think I got all of family on board with IMs though. Setting up a group chat was pretty instrumental in having the older folk be willing to learn the technology.

EDIT: I don't agree with letting the instigator choose the medium if you have restrictions (like not wanting to talk where others can hear) and they don't. I also explicitly tell people that call for personal reasons (if I do pick up) to text next time especially if the matter is trivial. Even without the restrictions, I think the instigator should respect the preferences of their counter parts since generally the caller is the one that wants something from the callee and not the other way around (i.e. it would be disrespectful for someone to say, I want this thing from you, and you're going to give it to me exactly at this time using a method of my choosing). 

In an ideal world yes that would be the case. But all the places I order food from have utterly obtuse apps/websites which were clearly designed by someone who never has to actually use the damn thing.

Things such as not providing dietary information in the app, having loads of categories and no decent search function, and lots of special offers with no indication of which works out cheapest.

I think things like Postmates or Doordash has somewhat standardized ordering menus for small restaurants and the places that have their own apps are capable of having their own apps (like national/global chains that can hire legit software engineers to make a good UI/UX).

I don't have dietary restrictions and when ordering food for a large group (pre-pandemic) I bring around a computer and let everyone select their own stuff. I use ctrl-f for search, that generally works well. I also really dislike it when they just say "15. Rice with meatballs" with no description and no picture, but ultimately if a restaurant does their menus badly (in Doordash/Postmates or on their own website) it's kind of their own fault for having less customers. And regarding specials, I really don't like to order what I'm not going to want to eat, so if like the pizzas in a 2 pizza special is slightly more expensive than the 2 pizza + breadsticks special (or even if the specials are the same price i.e. free breadsticks), I'll generally only get 2 pizzas if I know I only want 2 pizzas.

I can sort of understand the analysis paralysis when presented with the Cheesecake factory menu (100+ items) with no recommendations, but I feel like that was the experience for me physically at the restaurant anyways.

4 hours ago, SGT-AMD said:

Right on the front page:

Legal challenges

The do-not-call list was slated to take effect on October 1, 2003, but two federal district court decisions almost delayed it. One from Oklahoma was overcome by special legislation giving the FTC specific jurisdiction over the matter. The other from Colorado revolved around questions of regulation of commercial speech and threatened to delay implementation of the list. However, President Bush signed a bill authorizing the no-call list to go ahead in September 2003. Finally, the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit on February 17, 2004, upheld the constitutionality of the law.[8]

See? TIED UP IN COURT

Thanks, AMD, I learned something today

If you're referring to when I asked for examples of expansions to functionality getting held up due to freedom of speech, this is not it. This is the creation and has nothing to do with expanding coverage of the list or providing tools for the FCC to deal with robocalls. This is just trying to make the law in the first place. also it didn't get tied up or blocked, that was just an argument against it, and Bush made it happen anyways. 

At the moment my phone. Most of the applications are getting force closed. My phone's up-to-date 😑 still.

24 minutes ago, Sanchithmx said:

At the moment my phone. Most of the applications are getting force closed. My phone's up-to-date 😑 still.

If you've not already done so then create a thread in the phones and tablets section of this forum and provide some details of what model phone you have and what the problem is; I'm sure someone experienced in such matters will be able to help you.

pythonmegapixel

For me it has to be smart watches. Don't know why everyone needs to have a secondary phone on their wrist. Could also be that I'm a fan of mechanical watches that will actually last a lifetime if taken care of, rather than some Samsung/apple crap that won't be working five years from now, let alone ten or twenty. Maybe I'm just getting old lol.

Probably that aibs still sell get 210s new, it’s just weird when there’s other small form factor GPUs on the market

Don’t take everything I say seriously 

take it with a grain of s a l t

I hate how devices, software, apps, websites etc all seem to come out of the box configured in the most dangerous way possible in terms of privacy, security, data etc.  I'm pretty sick of having to do a deep dive into the settings on everything i buy or my family buys to make them work in the most efficient and safe way possible. 

On 3/24/2021 at 4:32 PM, pythonmegapixel said:

If you've not already done so then create a thread in the phones and tablets section of this forum and provide some details of what model phone you have and what the problem is; I'm sure someone experienced in such matters will be able to help you.

Nah Google is working on it. Thank you for the helping hand though 😀

Am using a Snapdragon 845, 6gb ram Android 10 

On 3/24/2021 at 11:25 PM, NZgamer said:

This might be why:

https://9to5google.com/2021/03/23/android-apps-crashing-webview/

You'll need to update WebView and Chrome to fix any issues you may be facing

Everything is updated but the applications that use webview also need to update from their end. And that is clashing 😑

Edited by SansVarnic
Merged Comments

Any tech software that isn't user friendly at all. There always seems to be something off, not working, placed wrongly, not clickable or not loading at all.

Whether it's Apple, Android, RGB software, Windows or anything, mainstream or not. It never works as intended.

Also something else, my internet connection. Even though having a $300 router and 500 mb/s connection, it still decides to cut out randomly at times. Gladly not in games though. Linus ever made a video on this subject too.

14 hours ago, BridgeBurner said:

For me it has to be smart watches. Don't know why everyone needs to have a secondary phone on their wrist. Could also be that I'm a fan of mechanical watches that will actually last a lifetime if taken care of, rather than some Samsung/apple crap that won't be working five years from now, let alone ten or twenty. Maybe I'm just getting old lol.

Another thing to consider is that some places won't even let you wear them. If it has bluetooth/communicates with another device, it is a potential security risk.

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang

Ads being built into a TV, LG and Sony's Android equipped TV's used to not have this, but after an update, they all do. (Just gotta block a web page in your router to fix this, but....) It's a $1k+ TV. 

Websites that don't work on anything other than IE.

Phone trees that don't have a way to automatically get in a queue to speak with a person after validating personal info. 

Printers/scanners

Systems/software that only work with FAT32 storage. (Modded PS3's and Wii's have frustrated me with this, FTP to the rescue though)

WINDOWS SEARCH

Windows not flushing DNS when it reboots, I don't know why this hasn't been implemented. 

Windows burying the volume mixer and "sound control panel" behind extra clicks. How often are people changing output devices? Why is that considered more important and needs to be more accessible than volume adjustment? 

Turning off Windows notifications doesn't stop all notifications. (Firewall and Windows security messages)

Windows scaling and issues with DPI when moving between monitors with different resolutions

15 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

Proprietary interfaces. 

Despise them + hardware as well..

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.