What tech do you find.... Annoying?

Beerzerker
Message added by SansVarnic,

Please utilized the Muti-Quote Function. It Exists. Use It.

If you need to add more content, edit your comment to add more.

10 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

I thought of another:
Controlling your case fans.

MSI Afterburner is nice for just yanking around the GPU fan speed slider around, (though mine is locked from 0% to 74% for some reason for both cards), but there's no great tool that I've found that lets you do that for case and CPU fans.

SpeedFan. It isn't guaranteed to work, but it's worked a fair bit for me. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, ProjectBox153 said:

SpeedFan. It isn't guaranteed to work, but it's worked a fair bit for me. 

Just tried it, and it sort of worked.

It was able to read all the temperature sensors, but couldn't find any fans, and couldn't figure anything out about my system.

I might try it on some older PC's - it looks cool - but I don't think it will work with my AM4 motherboards.

elephants

Zoom, Blackboard Collaborate Ultra, and any video conferencing platform that tops out at 720p.  Many of these conferences are one host broadcasting to a much larger group.  The host should be able to broadcast in best available resolution and bitrate. 

1 minute ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Zoom, Blackboard Collaborate Ultra, and any video conferencing platform that tops out at 720p.  Many of these conferences are one host broadcasting to a much larger group.  The host should be able to broadcast in best available resolution and bitrate. 

for hi res broadcasting you shoud try webcam sites in that case i think most of them go up to 4k

1 minute ago, Kavamale21 said:

for hi res broadcasting you shoud try webcam sites in that case i think most of them go up to 4k

The most annoying thing is the school(s) I teach for dictate what I can use to broadcast. 

1 minute ago, Uttamattamakin said:

The most annoying thing is the school(s) I teach for dictate what I can use to broadcast. 

less resolution more mess and cluter can kept hided

1 hour ago, FakeKGB said:

Just tried it, and it sort of worked.

It was able to read all the temperature sensors, but couldn't find any fans, and couldn't figure anything out about my system.

I might try it on some older PC's - it looks cool - but I don't think it will work with my AM4 motherboards.

SpeedFan was made for older hardware like Socket A for example, works fine with that.
EVGA makes a util that may work when Afterburner doesn't.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

On 3/20/2021 at 4:35 PM, Beerzerker said:

Thought about this last night when I ran into (Once again) a particular piece of tech that's just annoying.
I'm talking about the gas pumps that while pumping, also want to throw ads and just assorted crap at you while filling up or topping off. I don't mind it too much on TV and other places because well... It's expected.

I understand advertising is part of business.....
But at the pump itself?

Ads and vids from Cheddar, KFC, Wendy's and other's blasting (loudly) from the pump that are a real distraction and franky gets on my nerves - Makes me NOT want to patronize the places they feature instead of generating interest in them.

That's one piece of annoying tech I don't like at all. 
What tech is annoying to you?

Apple devices lol... can't stand MacOS and iOS. Also the iPhone culture gets a little toxic at times.

On 3/21/2021 at 1:28 AM, thrasher_565 said:

do you live by one? you spend more in time and gas...

Even 30 min drive for once or twice a year, it would be cheaper than buying ink. But for everyone not close, that's why I suggested the instant ink program if you have an hp inkjet

On 3/21/2021 at 10:42 AM, SGT-AMD said:

The law was tied up in court, because of "freedom of speech"

Maybe, you should scan your phone for malware.

Can you provide some context for the law tied up for freedom of speech? I have not heard of any attempts to expand the call types, and could not find anything except a recent attempt to increase fines and a few other enforcement changes. Nothing addressing the structure. 

Also I scan my phone daily, malware has nothing to do with the DNC not covering political calls or surveys. Incoming calls are not malware, they're just annoying

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Games on steam that don't work anymore. Why tf should I rely on community patches when the developer could issue an update to fix it. Steam should, although they never would, test games every few years to make sure they work, and if they don't work out of the box on modern hardware, at least warn users that it may not work.

phones. i hate calling people so much. my iPhone is more of a texting an emailing device lmao, i almost never use the "phone" aspect of it. i much prefer texting as i don't have to immediately think of a response. 

She/Her

12 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

One thing that drives me nuts is "Auto Correct".
The intent behind it was to be helpful but in practice it's annoying as all hell.

Well, on my phones I have auto correct, but it only suggests words does not replace words on it's own, I've disabled that. I've been using SwiftKey keyboard for years now, it learns pretty well in my experience.

Main PC: Acer IPISB-VR│Intel Xeon E3-1270 3.4GHz│AeroCool AirFrost 4 with Noctua NF-A9│16GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual-channel│nVidia GeForce GTX1060 6GB│Cricual MX500 250GB SSD + WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm + Seagate 1TB 7200rpm│Windows 7 Pro x64 & Windows 11 Pro│CoolerMaster Silencio 352M│Seasonic M12II-520 EVO 520W│Acer SA220Q 22" 1920x1080

Secondary PC: MSI H81M-P33│Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz│DeepCool Ice Edge Mini FS V2│16GB DDR3 1866MHz (1600MHz) Dual-channel│AMD R9 270 2GB│WD Green 120GB SSD + Seagate 1TB│Windows 11 Pro│Acer Aspire M1930 case│CoolerMaster B500 v2 500W│Samsung S19B300 1366x768 & Fujitsu-Siemens P15-1 1024x768

Test PC/Nice XP PC: ASUS M2N│AMD Athlon64 x2 6000+ 3.1GHz│CoolerMaster unkown model│4GB DDR2 800MHz│nVidia GeForce 9500GT 1GB│Hitachi Deskstar 80GB 7200rpm + WD Raptor 74GB 10000 rpm│Windows 7 Pro x64 + Windows XP Pro SP3│TurboX Case│Zalman 450W│LG Flatron L1718S 17" 1280x1024

Future workshop PC: ASUS M4N68T-M-V2│AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 2.8GHz│Some 130W tower cooler│8GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual-channel│AMD Radeon HD4670 512MB│Samsung Spinpoint 640GB 7200rpm│Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 + Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit│Medion MD8840 case│Antec VP350P 350W│Lenovo L220x. 22" 1920x1200

HTPC: HP Elite 8200 USDT│Intel Core i7-2600s 2.8GHz│6GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual-channel│Intel HD Graphics 2000│WD Blue 1TB 5400rpm│Windows 7 Pro x64│JVC LT-32VF30K 32" 1920x1080

New Main laptop: HP ProBook 455 G9│AMD Ryzen 5 2625U 2.3GHz│16GB DDR4 3200MHz│AMD Radeon RX Vega 7│1TB NVMe SSD│Win 11 Pro│15.6" 1920x1080
Old Main laptop: HP EliteBook 8470p│Intel Core i7-3610QM 2.3GHz│16GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual-channel│Intel HD4000 Graphics│Kingston 240GB SSD│Win 7 Pro x64│14.1" 1600x900

Secondary laptop: HP EliteBook 8470p│Intel Corei7-3520M 2.9GHz│8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual-channel│Intel HD4000 Graphics│2 x Crucial BX500 500GB SSDs│Win 7 Pro x64│14.1" 1600x900

Main phone: Sony Xperia X CompactOther phones: Sony Xperia L3, Sony Xperia Z3 Compact (x2){and both are dead now}, Sony Xperia E3, Sony Xperia Tipo + 12 more (not going not list everything)

Most other PCs and laptops I own:

Spoiler

Small laptop: Acer Aspire One D255│Intel Atom N550 1.5GHz│2GB DDR3 1333MHz│Intel GMA3150 256MB│Western Digital 500GB 5400rpm KingDian S100 32GB Apacer AS350X 120GB SSD│Win 7 Ultimate x64 & Win 10 Pro x64 Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 32bit & Q4OS│10.1" 1024x600

Old secondary PC: ASUS A7V8X-X│AMD Sempron 3000+ 2.0GHz│Titan CPU Cooler│1.75GB DDR 400MHz│nVidia GeForce FX5700LE 256MB│2 x WesternDigital 40GB 7200rpm (sadly one seems to be dead)│Windows XP Pro SP3│Some case│Codegen 300XA 350W│Dell E173FP 17" 1280x1024 & Fujitsu-Siemens P15-1 1024x768Philips 200P4 20" 1600x1200

"The Old" PC: eMachines eTower 466i│Intel Celeron 466MHz│512MB RAM PC133│nVidia GeForce FX5200 128MB PCI ATi 3D Rage Pro AGP 2x_ 4MB│Seagate Baracuda 40GB 7200rpm│Windows 98SE & Windows XP Pro SP3│IBM P50 14" 1024x768 CRT

"The Floppy" laptop: Clevo 2700C│Intel Pentium III 1.1GHz│512MB PC133 SDRAM│SiS 630 32MB shared│Samsung 40GB│Windows XP Pro SP3│15" 1024x768

"The P4" laptop: HP Pavillion ZD8000│Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz│2GB DDR2 666MHz Dual-channel│ATi Mobility Radeon X600 256MB│Seagate 100GB│Windows XP Pro SP3│17" 1440x900

Dell laptop: Dell Latitude D600│Intel Pentium M 1.6GHz│1.5GB DDR 333MHz│ATi Mobility Radeon 9000 64MB│40GB IDE│Windows XP Pro SP3│14.1"  1400x1050

Future workshop PC (dead): MSI MS-7302│Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8GHz│Stock cooler│3GB DDR2 800MHz│AMD Radeon HD7470 2GB│Samsung Spinpoint 640GB 7200rpm│Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 + Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit│Medion MD8840│FSP Group 250W│Samsung SyncMaster 730bf 17" 1280x1024

Old Secondary PC: HP IPISB-CH│Intel Core i5-2320 3GHz│DeepCool Ice Edge Mini FS V2│8GB DDR3 1333MHz│AMD R9 270 2GB│WD Green 120GB SSD + WD Blue 1TB 2.5"│Windows 7 Ultimate x64│Acer Aspire M1930│CoolerMaster B500 v2 500W│Samsung S19B300 1366x768 & Fujitsu-Siemens P15-1 1024x768

Go and disable the Microsoft home page in Edge for Windows 10. Then, when you get fed up of trying, give installing Firefox or Chrome a go instead, and see how any times it begs you not to.

I think that sums up pretty well what I hate about the modern tech industry.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

11 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Go and disable the Microsoft home page in Edge for Windows 10. Then, when you get fed up of trying, give installing Firefox or Chrome a go instead, and see how any times it begs you not to.

I think that sums up pretty well what I hate about the modern tech industry.

Go ahead and skip the first step. Microsoft edge < anything else

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang

3 hours ago, gamagama69 said:

Games on steam that don't work anymore. Why tf should I rely on community patches when the developer could issue an update to fix it. Steam should, although they never would, test games every few years to make sure they work, and if they don't work out of the box on modern hardware, at least warn users that it may not work.

Steam is actually working on something for this, mostly on the Linux side. With any luck it will make it's way over to Windows, considering most of the runtimes in the containers can be built cross-platform. Don't know what Valve is actually calling it, but they are compatibility containers of sorts.

It's already been mentioned, but Technology that really annoys me is most IoT Home Devices. Companies don't need to monitor what I am doing, I have no interest in what they have to offer. I barely even shop online. My device shouldn't require a subscription to work. My device shouldn't just stop working when the internet goes out.

Next on my list would be Anti-Tamper Devices, which is software and hardware controlled to tell if a device has been opened or modified. Stop acting like we have a rental agreement and let me do as I wish with the device I payed full price for. Not only does it piss me off, but it hurts small businesses that operate in Device Repair.

On 3/22/2021 at 9:57 PM, Parabellum117 said:

Apple devices lol... can't stand MacOS and iOS. Also the iPhone culture gets a little toxic at times.

The thing about toxic brand loyalty is that it goes both ways. All ways actually. If you live by Apple products then you close yourself off to a plethora of brilliant Android, Linux and Windows devices, but if you live by Android, for example, you shut yourself off to the best tablets on the market, iPads. If you live by HP, you shut yourself off to the new M1 MacBooks, and a lot of AMD laptops. There's nothing wrong with having an opinion for or against a brand, but personally I hear more toxicity in real life coming from people with Androids who believe that makes them better in every conceivable way. iPhone users just tend to use their phones without shouting about it.

On 3/22/2021 at 9:57 PM, Parabellum117 said:

The thing about toxic brand loyalty is that it goes both ways. All ways actually. If you live by Apple products then you close yourself off to a plethora of brilliant Android, Linux and Windows devices, but if you live by Android, for example, you shut yourself off to the best tablets on the market, iPads. If you live by HP, you shut yourself off to the new M1 MacBooks, and a lot of AMD laptops. There's nothing wrong with having an opinion for or against a brand, but personally I hear more toxicity in real life coming from people with Androids who believe that makes them better in every conceivable way. iPhone users just tend to use their phones without shouting about it.

Edited by SansVarnic
Merged Comments

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

30 minutes ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

but personally I hear more toxicity in real life coming from people with Androids who believe that makes them better in every conceivable way.

I have an Android phone. Three, in fact. However, if there was a Linux or even a Windows alternative, I would happily try it out.

31 minutes ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

but if you live by Android, for example, you shut yourself off to the best tablets on the market, iPads.

Some people prefer to have products that weren't made by child labor. 🙄

While objectively iPads are 'the best', the Apple tax is huge, and shoveling money into that company is literally the last thing I would willingly do. I would buy a Windows or Linux tablet long before I bought an iPad.

While I have Android phones, I don't 'live by it'. It's great, I love Android, I hate Samsung's BS software, but I know it isn't the best, and that I'm supporting billion dollar companies by buying the product, but at least I'm not feeding money into Apple.

If this is toxic, then so be it. Apple is toxic. Google is, Microsoft is, and Samsung certainly is. But, to me, Apple has crossed many lines, many more lines than the other billion dollar companies, so I refuse to touch their products. Sort of a 'lesser of many, many, many evils' issue, I guess.

All of that said, Apple does have the best accessibility experience, especially for visually impaired people, so it might just be a necessary evil. I try to keep that in mind when crapping on them.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

2 minutes ago, Sarra said:

I have an Android phone. Three, in fact. However, if there was a Linux or even a Windows alternative, I would happily try it out.

Some people prefer to have products that weren't made by child labor. 1f644.png

Manufacturers of Android devices contract exactly the same companies to build them as Apple do.

The best sensible thing you could do to avoid that kind of impact would be to own one phone, rather than three...

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

6 minutes ago, Sarra said:

Some people prefer to have products that weren't made by child labor. 🙄

While objectively iPads are 'the best', the Apple tax is huge, and shoveling money into that company is literally the last thing I would willingly do. I would buy a Windows or Linux tablet long before I bought an iPad.

While I have Android phones, I don't 'live by it'. It's great, I love Android, I hate Samsung's BS software, but I know it isn't the best, and that I'm supporting billion dollar companies by buying the product, but at least I'm not feeding money into Apple.

If this is toxic, then so be it. Apple is toxic. Google is, Microsoft is, and Samsung certainly is. But, to me, Apple has crossed many lines, many more lines than the other billion dollar companies, so I refuse to touch their products. Sort of a 'lesser of many, many, many evils' issue, I guess.

All of that said, Apple does have the best accessibility experience, especially for visually impaired people, so it might just be a necessary evil. I try to keep that in mind when crapping on them.

Every big tech company is unethical in some way or another. I had this debate with a friend earlier and we found data that put Samsung beneath Apple in terms of human rights and labour. Apple is the obvious company that people take aim at because of its massive market share and power, but it is stupid to say that Apple has products made with child labour, whilst other companies don't, as that is simply not true.

Every big tech company has its downfalls, the data suggests many are worse than Apple. Apple certainly is not the best, but unfortunately no company is 100% responsible.

Edit: I find it stupid and hypocritical for you to claim to be opting for lesser evils, whilst using 3 phones. That's 2 more phones potentially made using child labour than you need. This sort of argument does prove some of what I believe about toxic brand loyalty going in all directions; you crap on Apple without knowing what your chosen brands have done.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

Just now, pythonmegapixel said:

Manufacturers of Android devices contract exactly the same companies to build them as Apple do.

The best sensible thing you could do to avoid that kind of impact would be to own one phone, rather than three...

So, that is in fact true. However, Apple, according to reports, has actively resisted changing the behavior of their vendors. Other companies might just turn a blind eye, or not even know about it, but Apple is willfully preventing change for the better.

As for having three phones, two are literally ewaste. I have a Nexus 6 which I use as a music player. If that wasn't a function, it would have been tossed already. My other 'old' phone is a broken Razer Phone 2, which I will eventually clean and sell for parts. Third phone is my S10+, which is my daily. I didn't go out and buy three brand new phones, I just kept my old phones when I upgraded or replaced them.

Just now, Sarra said:

As for having three phones, two are literally ewaste. I have a Nexus 6 which I use as a music player. If that wasn't a function, it would have been tossed already. My other 'old' phone is a broken Razer Phone 2, which I will eventually clean and sell for parts. Third phone is my S10+, which is my daily. I didn't go out and buy three brand new phones, I just kept my old phones when I upgraded or replaced them.

Ah right, sorry, I misunderstood you.

Some people I've spoken to genuinely carry around multiple smartphones (you know, those things that are supposed to be multi-functional so everything is integrated into one device) for different purposes. Particularly tech youtubers. (It irks me how much they pretend to care about the environment and ethics, and then carry round an iPhone, a Samsung phone and an iPad all the time just because "App X works marginally better on the other platform and I'm a rich twat so who cares anyway")

pythonmegapixel

On 3/23/2021 at 11:53 AM, AMD A10-9600P said:

Every big tech company has its downfalls, the data suggests many are worse than Apple. Apple certainly is not the best, but unfortunately no company is 100% responsible.

My problem with Apple is that vendors are apparently on record saying they notified Apple that they were going to stop using child labor, and Apple responded with what amounted to a "lol no bro, it's too hard, just status quo that shit" and kept on going.

I'm sure that Samsung is just as bad, or worse, than Apple. But, the other part is Apple's absolute war on right to repair. Then their app store being an endless tub of money for them, and they are willing to spend stupid amounts of money to prevent that from ever changing. At least I don't have to fork over $12/month to Samsung to keep using Bixby (god I hate Bixby), and Samsung isn't actively trying to destroy me because I use a VPN on my phone.

Back in the G4 days, I loved Apple. They were the underdog, competing against Intel and Microsoft, and I very much enjoyed their stuff. Then, when they made the iPod and iPhone, they changed, and they literally turned into what they were fighting against, then they perfected it to the point where it was absurd.

On 3/23/2021 at 11:59 AM, pythonmegapixel said:

Ah right, sorry, I misunderstood you.

Some people I've spoken to genuinely carry around multiple smartphones (you know, those things that are supposed to be multi-functional so everything is integrated into one device) for different purposes. Particularly tech youtubers. (It irks me how much they pretend to care about the environment and ethics, and then carry round an iPhone, a Samsung phone and an iPad all the time just because "App X works marginally better on the other platform and I'm a rich twat so who cares anyway")

Yeah, no worries. My managers at my job have a cell phone that they purchased on their own, and a company provided cell phone. However, they all use forwarding from their company cells, and just leave them powered off in a desk, so when they move on, or whatever, they can give unused, like new phones back to the company to re-issue. We have locations so far out in the boonies in some areas, that some managers don't actually have their own phones. 😄 I guess it makes sense... I think they do the same forwarding with their office landlines, too.

Edited by SansVarnic
Merged Comments

3 minutes ago, Sarra said:

Back in the G4 days, I loved Apple. They were the underdog, competing against Intel and Microsoft, and I very much enjoyed their stuff. Then, when they made the iPod and iPhone, they changed, and they literally turned into what they were fighting against, then they perfected it to the point where it was absurd.

I didn't live during that time, but I wish that they didn't switch from "open up your Mac and swap around the RAM, HDDs, optical drives, mess around with PCI cards, change your video card" to "unscrew a little trapdoor and switch your RAM modules" to "give us more money and we'll do it for you, but you can do it yourself if you void your warranty" to "to upgrade your system you have to pay us, no other way to do it".

It's very easy to work on my Power Mac G4 and iMac G5. It's a total pain to do basically anything to my Mac Mini 2011.

elephants

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

I didn't live during that time, but I wish that they didn't switch from "open up your Mac and swap around the RAM, HDDs, optical drives, mess around with PCI cards, change your video card" to "unscrew a little trapdoor and switch your RAM modules" to "give us more money and we'll do it for you, but you can do it yourself if you void your warranty" to "to upgrade your system you have to pay us, no other way to do it".

It's very easy to work on my Power Mac G4 and iMac G5. It's a total pain to do basically anything to my Mac Mini 2011.

Well, they started out in the 'not upgradable' space, moved into the upgradable space, then went back to their roots, I guess.

Then again, my first Apple product was a Performa PowerPC 5215CD from 1995. It had no upgrade options, other than the RAM, which didn't really make any difference.

The same BS with soldered components is happening in the PC space now, as well. It's like going back to the 2000's eMachines era. Apple is still amazingly evil about it, with a SSD soldered to a board, where if a single "security chip" dies, the entire contents of the machine are FOREVER lost.

12 minutes ago, Sarra said:

My problem with Apple is that vendors are apparently on record saying they notified Apple that they were going to stop using child labor, and Apple responded with what amounted to a "lol no bro, it's too hard, just status quo that shit" and kept on going.

I'm sure that Samsung is just as bad, or worse, than Apple. But, the other part is Apple's absolute war on right to repair. Then their app store being an endless tub of money for them, and they are willing to spend stupid amounts of money to prevent that from ever changing. At least I don't have to fork over $12/month to Samsung to keep using Bixby (god I hate Bixby), and Samsung isn't actively trying to destroy me because I use a VPN on my phone.

Obviously for any company to be fine with their contractors using child labour is horrendous, but there is no conceivable way that every other tech company has completely ousted the use of child labour; again, the data suggests Samsung and many other Android phone brands to be on par, if not worse than Apple with regards to labour and human rights.

I definitely agree with your stance on Apple's war against the right to repair, but again, a huge number of companies you look at are making their products less and less accessible for user repairs, and charging a huge amount for first party repairs too. Soldered components are the norm these days, as are non-removable batteries.

As for the App Store, I believe they've reduced the cut they now want to take, and despite that, the App Store and Play Store have always had very similar rates that they take from developers.

As for Bixby, that sounds horrendous, I don't ever use Siri, but I would be livid if I had to pay Apple monthly to use it.

I don't know much about Apple's stance on VPNs, so I'll skip that one.

I think it's naïve to say that Apple became what they were fighting against. Intel and Microsoft were and still are their competitors (hence the "fighting"), and for Apple to strike gold with the iPhone and iPod, well, surely that's what they would have wanted as a company? To grow. Perfecting products is nothing to hold against any company, a perfected product is the consumers dream!

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB