What tech do you find.... Annoying?

Beerzerker
Message added by SansVarnic,

Please utilized the Muti-Quote Function. It Exists. Use It.

If you need to add more content, edit your comment to add more.

Thought about this last night when I ran into (Once again) a particular piece of tech that's just annoying.
I'm talking about the gas pumps that while pumping, also want to throw ads and just assorted crap at you while filling up or topping off. I don't mind it too much on TV and other places because well... It's expected.

I understand advertising is part of business.....
But at the pump itself?

Ads and vids from Cheddar, KFC, Wendy's and other's blasting (loudly) from the pump that are a real distraction and franky gets on my nerves - Makes me NOT want to patronize the places they feature instead of generating interest in them.

That's one piece of annoying tech I don't like at all. 
What tech is annoying to you?

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

America much? I really do love the strict advertising regulations in my country. I can't say I've ever been hit by a TV blasting ads whilst filling up the car, all we have are a few promo stickers for the petrol station or supermarket you're at, but that's it. One of the main things that's always struck me the most when in the US are the ads. Everywhere. Sometimes when watching US TV programmes here back home, you can clearly tell where they planned to slot in extra adverts.

I can bring another car related tech into the discussion though. Sometimes whilst driving, the touch display in the centre of our VW Polo will glitch out and forget there's any other devices connected to it. It forgets any diagnostic features, the radio antenna, any Bluetooth devices; all gone until you take out the ignition, lock the car and come back the next day to give it another chance. Thankfully the digital speedo isn't connected to that display and it doesn't actually affect the drive.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

I mean it's one thing to advertise but these things have the volume cranked to the point it's just LOUD - Like the damn thing is screaming at you.
I was just going into the store and I could hear the pump at the outer row of the station clearly, just imagine how loud that is while standing there.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

7 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Ads and vids from Cheddar, KFC, Wendy's and other's blasting (loudly) from the pump that are a real distraction and franky gets on my nerves - Makes me NOT want to patronize the places they feature instead of generating interest in them.

You may well be in the minority. All kinds of market research points to "more eyes on + more time = more sales" so I guess some people like being annoyed.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Printers and scanners.. Just ugh! While pushing in as many 'cool tech!' into these things, they forgot the most important part; just pressing print/scan and getting a sheet of printed A4 paper/a scanned image.

Another annoying thing is TV's and setup boxes for TV's. Especially Smart TV's, which all seem to be slow as molasses. 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

You may well be in the minority. All kinds of market research points to "more eyes on + more time = more sales" so I guess some people like being annoyed.

I'm not aware of anyone that "Likes" these things and I can tell by looking at the ones pumping they get annoyed too.

3 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Modern phones. WTF do phone manufacturers think when making phones that the user is not allowed to control as he wishes. 🤬

You are a grumpy old man. You do have a point though. I hate knowing that my phone is listening in to everything I say, only to throw "relevant" ads at me when I next open a Google app

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

Just now, Beerzerker said:

I'm not aware of anyone that "Likes" these things and I can tell by looking at the ones pumping they get annoyed too.

It is strange that it correlates to higher sales though.

On the flip side, 80% of a company's revenue comes from 20% of their clients (approximately) so perhaps it just invigorates the fans of the product more than it annoys other consumers

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

My wife's tablet while we've been talking, more than once has suddenly thrown an ad about something we had mentioned and I mean right on the spot with it too.

3 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

My wife's tablet while we've been talking, more than once has suddenly thrown an ad about something we had mentioned and I mean right on the spot with it too.

Some of these tactics should be illegal

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

Windows 10 and it’s lack of user control. It holds your hand and smacks you when you try to do anything fun.

For a younger generation who’s almost exclusively used windows 10 this is just the norm for them, but anyone who used XP or 2000, Windows 9x, etc knows that your operating system used to respect you and let you do what you want.

Disabling windows update in windows 7 is as easy as ticking a single box, you can disable the service easily too if you want.

Disabling windows update in 10 requires the group policy editor because the regular tools available for you don’t allow you to disable it so much as temporarily pause it, and you only get the group policy editor with professional or ltsc. If you try to disable it normally as you would think you would, it just turns itself back on.

Same thing with windows defender or the anti malware services, firewall, etc. Windows 7 if you say turn off, it turns off. And if you say stop telling me it’s off on the system tray, it stops telling you it’s off.

With windows 10 if it’s off, it’ll turn back on on its own at some point, but until then it gives you pop ups off the system tray and if you click them they vanish, but that also turns the service back on when clicked.

It’s deceptive and disrespectful of the user. It’s why I refuse to use it and why many others I know refuse to use it. A lot of people who absolutely must end up cutting down LTSC heavily just to get a system that respects what they want it to do.

Printers: never works when you need it to

Mobile phones: planned obsolescence, and it's more buggy than windows and idk how that's possible

Air conditioning: 24c = freeze to death, 25c = heat wave

Latest GPU that only have one HDMI port: really? The most commonly used port?

AMD CPU socket: it's shit when your CPU isn't secured in the socket enough that it follows the cooler up, get your shit together

Radeon software: you just had to copy Nvidia, yet you failed so hard

Pcie 6+2: they always want to be apart so plugging them in is hard

30-series Nvidia GPU length: why tf are you so long?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Murasaki said:

Modern phones and their increasing sizes. Our hands aren't getting bigger and our eyes arent getting worse. MAKE SMALLER PHONES PLEASE.

343D7F1B-AFEB-4B57-B31B-F4E1AF3FB88E.thumb.jpeg.d16bb6a759ad7d633afd2b3b68314a4e.jpeg

Printers. I actually have two of them - 1 for scanning and one for printing. They each fail at the opposite task, so I've got to have both. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 minute ago, 8tg said:

an iPhone

ADDITION: ALSO THAT IS NOT AN IPHONE!

Things I hate:

-Everything made by Apple after 2010

-Prebuilts/OEM builders! There's nothing really wrong with the hardware, if they were half the price they would be worth it. Minimum configurations are waaay too overpriced... 

-Proprietary hardware. Trust me, I use a HP workstation and everything is proprietary and not replaceable, even the fans!

3 minutes ago, SGT-AMD said:

I have never seen ads on my S7edge. Youtube, yes

I refuse to believe you've never seen an ad on your phone, you must be living in some sort of utopia. My phone itself doesn't throw ads at me, Apple would never allow that, but the YouTube app definitely does.

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

32 minutes ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

I refuse to believe you've never seen an ad on your phone, you must be living in some sort of utopia. My phone itself doesn't throw ads at me, Apple would never allow that, but the YouTube app definitely does.

Never seen an ad thrown at my phone. Not even on youtube.  I don't get any ads on youtube at all.

But as for tech I find annoying, it is cell phones and tablets.  I'm a truck driver. Do you know how many people I see a day watching videos while driving 70 mph down the highway?  I've lost count. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

6 hours ago, Zusafek said:

But as for tech I find annoying, it is cell phones and tablets.  I'm a truck driver. Do you know how many people I see a day watching videos while driving 70 mph down the highway?  I've lost count. 

that's not annoyance with the tech but with bad drivers...

voicemail
1. Why can spam calls still leave me voicemails??
2. I can have 256 gb of file storage in a device that fits in my hand, but you're telling me I can't get more than 12-15 messages before my voicemail is full?! You do realize I get like 10-15 spam voicemails a day, right??

Edited by SansVarnic
Merged Comments

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

16 minutes ago, SGT-AMD said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/stop-google-tracking-device-163435205.html

That is one way to have it stop tracking you

I'll pass it along and thanks!

1. Bluetooth. Never works right the first time, and requires a lot of button-mashing on Windows.

2. HP printers that can connect to the Internet. They require you to use HP Smart to do basically everything.

elephants

IOT: why does everything need to be connected to the internet now. What purpose does a fridge have to be connected to the internet when I have a phone in my pocket

Printers: when buying a new printer is cheaper than buying new ink to print off that 1 or 2 pages you need once every few years, you know something has gone wrong. 

Game launchers: (steam, origin, egs etc) once I've downloaded a game, let me just run it without having to open up its corresponding launcher. The only time it should be required is for online games where the account is created by your launcher account. For single player offline games, there is no reason for it. 

Apps: why does everything need its own App? I want to go to a website and have full access to the content without a stupid popup saying "download our app" and having certain things just stop working if you dont

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Game launchers: (steam, origin, egs etc) once I've downloaded a game, let me just run it without having to open up its corresponding launcher. The only time it should be required is for online games where the account is created by your launcher account. For single player offline games, there is no reason for it. 

What annoys me even more about this is when you buy a game on Steam, then have to connect Uplay/Origin, then boot the game from Steam only for it to open Uplay/Origin to boot off of. Ridiculous that it got to this.