Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Re-assuring post from Palmer Luckey about Oculus aquisition

LapX

https://www.facebook.com/notes/palmer-luckey/the-future-of-vr/728073470566558

It looks like the aquisition should not cause any problems to the developpment fo the rift.

If it speeds the evolution of VR, I am all for it. He says it will allow them to add more ressources to the project, and allow them to take more risk.

I am still scared though, how about you ?

Edit : WiiManic asked me to add this link from the CEO of Oculus : http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/letter-to-the-team-from-brendan-iribe/

I'm glad he asked me to, it adds more information.

Thanks to Damikiller37 heres a screenshot of the first link for those of you who can't log into Facebook.

post-3457-0-35791000-1395792815_thumb.pn

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

I can see it already.

An overlay on the screen for your Facebook notifications. 
Streaming and sharing directly to Facebook. 

I don't know. Might not (i.e. isn't) worth it.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I can see it already.

An overlay on the screen for your Facebook notifications. 

Streaming and sharing directly to Facebook. 

I don't know. Might not (i.e. isn't) worth it.

Oh god... Haven't thought of that...

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

.... It's almost never a good thing when facebook buys anything, like when they bought whatsapp I think a ton  of whatsapp users just left because of it. I hope facebook doesn't completely make this project a horrible thing. Like @Vitalius said I totally hope they dont do what he said...

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

I don't think acquisition is the sort of thing I usually associate with "take more risks". I don't know if this is really "the end of oculus!" but I don't think that Facebook really has anything beneficial to add to Oculus, nor do I see how Oculus would benefit Facebook meaningfully.

On the bright side, it's not Yahoo!

''must log in to view''

well...fuck.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

.... It's almost never a good thing when facebook buys anything, like when they bought whatsapp I think a ton  of whatsapp users just left because of it. I hope facebook doesn't completely make this project a horrible thing. Like @Vitalius said I totally hope they dont do what he said...

Meanwhile, I don't think they can do so much harm to hardware.

Meanwhile, I don't think they can do so much harm to hardware.

True but like Vitalius said facebook overlays... that would be the worst thing ever. IMO

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

You might want to also put Brendan's post about it in the OP, he is the CEO.

I just hope the only change from this is increased cash.

I don't want any other crap, just Oculus to have more money to chase the VR dream.

The second I see any FB stuff, forced integration, bit removed and stuff, then I'm out. I'll jump to Morpheus, or wait for Valve.

I've been following since the kickstarter and this is the first time I've had any doubt what so ever that I'd buy the CV.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

I think everyone is overreacting a bit. Sure the potential for Facebook to twist Oculus' arm to do stuff is certainly there. But I do think that Facebook will keep to their word about not interfering with development. At least for now.

Here's my wild speculation: Maybe in the future, after the consumer version is out, Facebook will make their move. They might have Oculus make another model to be more like google glass or other wearables. And have this be along side the Rift. Not replace it, be along side it. Or maybe, and more likely, like Zuc's statement, they will use the Rift to be a platform to sell court side sports viewing experiences. As an avid Anaheim Angels and Seattle Seahawks fan, if it's done well, they couldn't take my money fast enough, especially for football games since it's hard for me to be there in person due to distance. This latter speculation, could be a HUGE moneymaker potentially. That's why I think they bought Oculus.

Why did they think this was a good idea?

I mean if Google purchased oculus the story would have been very different.

Google has invented ways of improving our lives through technology, Facebook has invented ways to take money from users and drive families apart.

What the fuck were you thinking oculus? 

you-were-the-chosen-one.jpg

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

https://www.facebook.com/notes/palmer-luckey/the-future-of-vr/728073470566558

It looks like the aquisition should not cause any problems to the developpment fo the rift.

If it speeds the evolution of VR, I am all for it. He says it will allow them to add more ressources to the project, and allow them to take more risk.

I am still scared though, how about you ?

god damn it... that link just takes me to a facebook login when i don't have or want an account... i see the same thing happening with the rift I don't want to need a facebook account to use a gaming peripheral

Tbh I think this acquisition might be good for oculus as facebook seem to have a massive stash of money they can throw some big bucks behind oculus and if they are truly behind the whole vr experience it may lead to oculus being able to push the production ready model of rift quicker but still im skeptical to say the least   

Basically Oculus sold out.

At any rate it allows another VR company to squeeze in and take up any space the FB haters create.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

You might want to also put Brendan's post about it in the OP, he is the CEO.

I just hope the only change from this is increased cash.

I don't want any other crap, just Oculus to have more money to chase the VR dream.

The second I see any FB stuff, forced integration, bit removed and stuff, then I'm out. I'll jump to Morpheus, or wait for Valve.

I've been following since the kickstarter and this is the first time I've had any doubt what so ever that I'd buy the CV.

I'm doing so right now, great idea.

god damn it... that link just takes me to a facebook login when i don't have or want an account... i see the same thing happening with the rift I don't want to need a facebook account to use a gaming peripheral

Sorry for that, I added a screenshot the OP if you want to read it.

I wonder if John Carmack knew he would be working for Mark Zuckerberg when he joined the Oculus Rift team.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

It's pure PR, don't take it at face value.

Rift is dead, move on.

Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est

True but like Vitalius said facebook overlays... that would be the worst thing ever. IMO

What if some sexy beast finds a way to hack the oculus and completely wipe all the facebook integration? Sort of like rooting your phone and flashing a new rom?

I don't know I might be optimistic but I am pretty sure Facebook wasn't the only one trying to buy Oculus. In this case I would believe they had to examine all the possible options. Its possible Facebook offered them the best deal. I am not talking only money here. I think Oculus are intelligent enough to realise that money isnt everything and wouldn't sell out that easily for no freedom of some kind.

Anyway ... Im optimistic so I might be completely wrong. After reading the post, it seems to be what happened.

Here is some more opinions from Rev3Games : http://youtu.be/99GNJqadkdg

Since when is facebook ran in an open way?

Of course, they mean they open up your private information to advertisers.

well..this just plain sucks. R.I.P Rift. What sucks worse is... I've been watching Linus and Luke on GooTube. The genuine glow from Slick about the Rift got me hooked on the damn thing. I hear a quote coming from Linus.. "This sucks balls!"...Yep, Damn it Man. What's next, Star Citizen sells out to...wait for it.... EA   "O.O"   ">.<" (Yeah, I  #blame Luke   for Star Citizen too.... I signed aboard, must have more ....GAAA  :D )

well..this just plain sucks. R.I.P Rift. What sucks worse is... I've been watching Linus and Luke on GooTube. The genuine glow from Slick about the Rift got me hooked on the damn thing. I hear a quote coming from Linus.. "This sucks balls!"...Yep, Damn it Man. What's next, Star Citizen sells out to...wait for it.... EA   "O.O"   ">.<"

Some serious shit would go down. With all the crowdfunding that went into the game.... 

I'l give it a year and see how oculus turns out.... 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^