Netflix Windows App Not recognizing screen as 4K

StealthMind
Go to solution Solved by Kisai,
19 hours ago, StealthMind said:

after a fresh boot, they both play Netflix at UHD 4K with no issue, but after the PC goes to sleep for a while, Netflix only shows HD on both monitor.

You might need to change the OS settings to not switch resolutions when it goes to sleep.

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration

Poke through there and look for configurations that you don't want to use and delete them. Or just delete all of them, unplug all the monitors and replug them in the order you want them initialized and that may fix it.

There's also this option:

https://superuser.com/questions/409468/windows-7-dual-monitor-windows-move-when-screen-is-locked/908156#908156

Which is to force the driver to always use the EDID stored rather than re-read it when it wakes up from sleep.

I have the same issue, but different behavior.

I have 2 4k Monitor from LG, a 32" and 27"

one is DisplayPort 1.4 and the other is HDMI 2.0b

both at 4K 60Hz running on I9 9900K no overclock with AMD RX480 4GB Windows 10 latest release and updates.

Using Netflix App latest version from Microsoft Store.

after a fresh boot, they both play Netflix at UHD 4K with no issue, but after the PC goes to sleep for a while, Netflix only shows HD on both monitor.

everywhere else still plays at 4K.

I then reboot my PC and Netflix starts showing UHD 4K again until PC goes to sleep.

looks like something goes wrong with HDCP when windows goes to sleep.

Any insight or guidance is much appreciated!

1 hour ago, StealthMind said:

I have the same issue, but different behavior.

I have 2 4k Monitor from LG, a 32" and 27"

one is DisplayPort 1.4 and the other is HDMI 2.0b

both at 4K 60Hz running on I9 9900K no overclock with AMD RX480 4GB Windows 10 latest release and updates.

Using Netflix App latest version from Microsoft Store.

everywhere else still plays at 4K.

I then reboot my PC and Netflix starts showing UHD 4K again until PC goes to sleep.

looks like something goes wrong with HDCP when windows goes to sleep.

Any insight or guidance is much appreciated!

Something I would report to Netflix and microsoft as a bug.  The problem of course is each is going to blame the other. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

sounds about right, i still can't believe the steps it took for windows+nflx to recognize my monitor, while it just works on a console and  prime works just fine on windows.

Trying to figure out who's at fault is 😝

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

19 hours ago, StealthMind said:

You might need to change the OS settings to not switch resolutions when it goes to sleep.

Poke through there and look for configurations that you don't want to use and delete them. Or just delete all of them, unplug all the monitors and replug them in the order you want them initialized and that may fix it.

https://superuser.com/questions/409468/windows-7-dual-monitor-windows-move-when-screen-is-locked/908156#908156

Which is to force the driver to always use the EDID stored rather than re-read it when it wakes up from sleep.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/20/2021 at 6:23 PM, Kisai said:

Thanks for your reply, I looked the entries and I have a huge list, so I got scared and none of the item in the list is related to LG Monitors, so I don't know what to do. (see screenshot)

I noticed that if reduce the refresh rate to 30Hz instead of 60Hz and replaced the DP cable with an HDMI, the 4K works correctly for Netflix App. so I'm confused, since the RX480 and the 2 LG Monitors supports 4K @60Hz 10-Bit and all HDMI cables are Certified Premium HDMI 2.0b.

image.thumb.png.58c3d009112e96680e83b4823b74b498.png

23 minutes ago, StealthMind said:

Thanks for your reply, I looked the entries and I have a huge list, so I got scared and none of the item in the list is related to LG Monitors, so I don't know what to do. (see screenshot)

I noticed that if reduce the refresh rate to 30Hz instead of 60Hz and replaced the DP cable with an HDMI, the 4K works correctly for Netflix App. so I'm confused, since the RX480 and the 2 LG Monitors supports 4K @60Hz 10-Bit and all HDMI cables are Certified Premium HDMI 2.0b.

This definitely sounds like it's waking up and using different settings than when it went to sleep. Given the number of monitor profiles listed, it sounds like like there might have been previous hardware (either a GPU or a monitor) had also had a configuration issue.

You can safely delete the profiles, the worst that will happen is it will reset the resolution and refresh rate. If you turn each monitor on/off, it will logically create a profile for each monitor on solo on that port it's connected to. My guess is that if it's working correctly at 30hz, it's because it's not operating in HDMI 2.0b mode.  Check the manual to see if there is a setting to force 2.0 mode.

5 hours ago, Kisai said:

This definitely sounds like it's waking up and using different settings than when it went to sleep. Given the number of monitor profiles listed, it sounds like like there might have been previous hardware (either a GPU or a monitor) had also had a configuration issue.

You can safely delete the profiles, the worst that will happen is it will reset the resolution and refresh rate. If you turn each monitor on/off, it will logically create a profile for each monitor on solo on that port it's connected to. My guess is that if it's working correctly at 30hz, it's because it's not operating in HDMI 2.0b mode.  Check the manual to see if there is a setting to force 2.0 mode.

Thanks Kisai, I deleted all entries, then I hooked one monitor at a time, so far so good.

I'm running on HDMI on both monitor at 60Hz and Netflix seems to be working as expected with UHD 4K when available 🙂

Thanks again!

Much appreciated!