Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"The request failed due to fatal device hardware error" when trying to initialize disk.

So the disk im using is a WD Blue M.2 1TB non nvme drive. I currently have to use a Usb to m.2 adapter to sorta of use the drive. I can't use it in the either of my m.2 slot on my mobo as no windows install will boot, even install media. I don't know why. But the disk needs to be initialized. When I try to do so, I get "The request failed due to fatal device error". The drivers for the adapter are up to date. I tried to use disk part to try and clean the reformat the drive but I get an error, event viewer shows the error, "VDS fails to write boot code on a disk during clean operation. Error code: 800701E3@02070008". I can't find anything helpful anywhere else, so I came here.

7 minutes ago, The Apocalyptic Gamer said:

I currently have to use a Usb to m.2 adapter to sorta of use the drive.

Why?

7 minutes ago, The Apocalyptic Gamer said:

I can't use it in the either of my m.2 slot on my mobo as no windows install will boot, even install media.

Where did you get your "install media" from?

8 minutes ago, The Apocalyptic Gamer said:

The drivers for the adapter are up to date.

How are the drivers UTD is there is no windows?

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Why?

Where did you get your "install media" from?

How are the drivers UTD is there is no windows?

-Ok, if I try to boot with the m.2 drive installed, no windows install will work, i dont know why but it wont. It will do a load wheel for a second or two then go to a black screen. With the install media it's purple. The windows install im using currently and install media will work just fine if the m.2 drive is not installed.

-The media is from the windows site.

-Im using another drive with a working windows install.

1 minute ago, The Apocalyptic Gamer said:

-Ok, if I try to boot with the m.2 drive installed, no windows install will work, i dont know why but it wont. It will do a load wheel for a second or two then go to a black screen. With the install media it's purple. The windows install im using currently and install media will work just fine if the m.2 drive is not installed.

-The media is from the windows site.

-Im using another drive with a working windows install.

Sounds like a bad drive

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

So pretty sure I figured out the problem. The the adapter is nvme protocol only, while the ssd is a sata protocol.