Recommend power supply for 2 760's?

mkessler9
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

Its a Corsair CX600M 80+ Bronze

You should be fine.

Note: The psu doesn't have enough pci-e connectors so you'd need to find a way around that.

Ok, So due to Linus's latest video I went to a wattage calculating website to see what  my pc recommend psu was....I'm planning on adding a second 760 in a few weeks. So I added a second 760 to the calculator to see what they recommended. According to http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine my pc with a second 760 would need at least a 538watt psu. Now I'm confused about this. The least amount of amperage you need for a 760 is 30amps on the 12volt rail, My 600watt psu has 48amps on the 12volt rail and its a Corsair psu. If I where to add a second 760 to my pc wouldn't I need at least 60amps on the 12volt rail? I have been waiting to get a second 760 because I thought I would need to get a more powerful psu so I have been saving for that to. But now according to this I don't need to upgrade. Is this correct? Can I really add a second 760 and be ok? If I can I know I would be stressing my psu so I would upgrade it as soon as I get the money. But it would be great if I could go ahead and add it now. So can I add a second 760? Anyone running 2 760's on a 600watt psu?

Gaming rig- Cpu- Amd 9590, 16gbs of G Skill Ram, Gpu- GTX 760 windforce 3 edition 2gb. A Thermaltake water 2.0 water cooler for my cpu. Keyboard- Thermaltake Posieden , Case- 750D, Mobo Asus 990fx R2.0. 24 inch Dell LED monitor

Your 600w psu should be sufficient. and no you don't need 60 amps on the 12v rail, you're making it too complicated.

Your 600w psu should be sufficient. and no you don't need 60 amps on the 12v rail, you're making it too complicated.

That's good to know, But it doesn't make since, why would they require 30amps on the 12volt rail if it doesn't really need all of that at full load

Gaming rig- Cpu- Amd 9590, 16gbs of G Skill Ram, Gpu- GTX 760 windforce 3 edition 2gb. A Thermaltake water 2.0 water cooler for my cpu. Keyboard- Thermaltake Posieden , Case- 750D, Mobo Asus 990fx R2.0. 24 inch Dell LED monitor

I run my OC i5 and SLI 760's off of a 750w, so 650 or more should be fine.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

That's not how it works. Nvidia recommends a psu with 50A on the 12v rail for 760 sli.

As long as you have the 4 pci-e power connectors needed, you should be fine.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I'd go with a 750w, (I run 2 cards on a 750w with no problems)

First Build:| Gigabyte 990FXa-UD3 | FX 8120 4.0Ghz | Coolermaster Seidon 240M | Asus Radeon HD 7870 | Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB SSD + WD Green 2TB HDD | Corsair RM750 | 8Gb Kingston HyperX 1866Mhz CL9| Fractal Define R4 White/Windowed |

What kind of 600W PSU do you have? If it's a quality brand then two 760's would be fine. Likely optimal in terms of efficiency curve at load. Unless you're doing badass overclocks or want to upgrade further you don't need anything higher. 

"Rawr XD"

What kind of 600W PSU do you have? If it's a quality brand then two 760's would be fine. Likely optimal in terms of efficiency curve at load. Unless you're doing badass overclocks or want to upgrade further you don't need anything higher. 

Its a Corsair CX600M 80+  Bronze

Its a Corsair CX600M 80+ Bronze

You should be fine.

Note: The psu doesn't have enough pci-e connectors so you'd need to find a way around that.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You should be fine.

actually I think it does have enough connectors.

I'm running my SLI'd 760's on a 650w EVGA NEX650G without any issues. No need to go bigger. You might be a little tighter under full load for wattage, but I think you'll slip through fine.

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!

actually I think it does have enough connectors.

The cx600m only comes with 2 pci-e connectors--specifically 6+2 pin connectors if you'e wondering. Each 760 needs two 6 pin connectors.

There was a comment here. Will edit tomorrow after further research

Edited by mkessler9

It comes with the needed cables. Here's a picture for proof 

cxm600_detail_contents.png

..Where? I don't see the 4 6 pin connectors.

..Where? I don't see the 4 6 pin connectors.

Nvm. I edited my comment