RTX 3060 + dummy HDMI to VGA adapter

sonicfelipemt
Go to solution Solved by nkls21,

I can verify that it works. I just tested it today and for the last 10 hours it works perfectly.

IMG_20210320_233031.jpg

I got an RTX 3060 for my gf's PC. 

She wanted to mine on it when not gaming.

In brazil, we're kinda poor and mining whould help us a lot. Also, sorry for the language barrier. 

Even with that 470.05 driver, u still need the card plugged on the main pci x16 slot and plugged on a monitor/tv (or a dummy plug, but what resolution should it be running?) in order to unlock the full mining speed. 

Then: is it safe to turn these HDMI to VGA adapters into a dummy adapter?

They say it supports up to 1080p 60hz (we also have an older 1366x768 60hz monitor, just in case). 

I wonder if I can plug this in (modded with the resistors like the method below) along with the real monitor (plugged in another HDMI on the gpu) and on windows duplicate the main screen, configure it as 1080p 60hz (1080p60 to trick the RTX 3060 into max hash). 

This should enable us to plug and unplug the real monitor (when actually using the PC) while letting the gpu mining full-speed when not plugged, and also not having to deal with re-setting desktop resolution, etc. 

Hot-Sale-1080P-HDMI-to-VGA-Adapter-Digit

https://shopee.com.br/Cabo-Adaptador-Conversor-Hdmi-Para-Vga-Com-Saída-P2-De-Áudio-i.358573540.4378751633

Using this method:
vga_dummy_electronic_schema.jpg

Those pre-made HDMI dummies are way too expensive here, while this HDMI to VGA adapter is hella cheap. 

I could buy the HDMI dummies but I haven't seen any video showing they work + HDMI DUMMY SCALPERS, CHARGING 6 TIMES THE ORIGINAL PRICE: 
https://shopee.com.br/Dummy-Hdmi-Headless-Emulador-Monitor-Btc-i.371147514.9112548585
At least in Brazil, they exhist. HDMI DUMMY SCALPERS!!!
In the end, the poor gamer can't even f*king mine on their cheapper GPUs, wtf Nvidia... Now not so cheap anymore! The day after I bought this 3060, the price went up from 4800brl to 6600brl... (stores said the 3060 would be priced at 3600 brl... HUGE LIE)

for me, i just plugged mine in, no modding needed

make sure it's PCIE 3.0 x8 or above, and plug in the HDMI to VGA converter (without plugging in display) and see if it works

you can also buy HDMI dummy plugs, they sell those

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

17 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

you can also buy HDMI dummy plugs, they sell those

I believe OP mentioned that

1 hour ago, sonicfelipemt said:

Those pre-made HDMI dummies are way too expensive

1 hour ago, sonicfelipemt said:

At least in Brazil, they exhist. HDMI DUMMY SCALPERS!!!

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Spoiler

9 hours ago, nkls21 said:

I can verify that it works. I just tested it today and for the last 10 hours it works perfectly.

IMG_20210320_233031.jpg

WOOHOO! Tnx! 😄

Hell yeah Nvidia GIT FÓKD by one 2.89usd hdmi to vga adapter + 3 lil 0.02usd 75Ω resistors >:D YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAA!

Strange, the RTX 3060 only runs at PCIe x4 on the Athlon 3000g, but AMD itself says it supports full PCIe 3.0 x16 and uses x8 for dedicated graphics (x8 lanes for GPU and the other for nvme storage, iGPU, etc). What can I do? I'm using a Gigabyte GA-AB350M-DS3H V2, it has a full PCIe 3.0 x16 connection. 

3000G supports PCI-e3.0 x4 mode in a x16 slot and PCI-e3.0 x2 mode in a M2 slot. With your motherboard 3000G only support sata mode in M2 slot.

22 hours ago, --SID-- said:

3000G supports PCI-e3.0 x4 mode in a x16 slot and PCI-e3.0 x2 mode in a M2 slot. With your motherboard 3000G only support sata mode in M2 slot.

Ouch, I spent all night trying to find the same info for the  Ryzen 3 PRO 3200GE and got nothing (found a 3200GE with a cool discount in another store, gonna return the 3000g anyways). 

Where do you guys check this PCIe lanes on cpu/mobo info? I seriously have not found it anywhere, maybe it's a language barrier. Or is this magic? 

Not even AMD themselves puts this info on their site, this is such BS... :C