Low frame rates on HP Omen 15

ColdPressCoconutOil

I had purchased an HP Omen 15 2020 laptop in the month of January, with 8GB RAM, Ryzen 5 4600H and GTX 1660Ti. I was able to play all my games smoothly until today morning, when I just downloaded rainbow six siege. the game defaulted to 720p low when j launched it for the first time, and was getting only around 20 FPS on high settings at 1080p. dropping settings down to medium only increased FPS to 25. I suspected the integrated graphics were being utilised, but hwmonitor and task manager both said that the GPU was at 70-80% utilisation. one thing I noted is that the GPU temperature never crossed 50. 

I tried the same thing with apex legends and valorant as well. the GPU was at 70-80% utilisation, remaining between 40-50 degrees, and I was getting 7 FPS in apex legends, 25 FPS in valorant.

I tried updating my graphics drivers and restarting the pc multiple times, but nothing changed. and yes, my laptop is plugged in and not running on battery. I even checked windows power options to see if the power modes had changed but they're all in balanced.

any help to resolve this issue would be appreciated. thanks in advance!

😕

2 minutes ago, ColdPressCoconutOil said:

I had purchased an HP Omen 15 2020 laptop in the month of January, with 8GB RAM, Ryzen 5 4600H and GTX 1660Ti. I was able to play all my games smoothly until today morning, when I just downloaded rainbow six siege. the game defaulted to 720p low when j launched it for the first time, and was getting only around 20 FPS on high settings at 1080p. dropping settings down to medium only increased FPS to 25. I suspected the integrated graphics were being utilised, but hwinfo and task manager both said that the GPU was at 70-80% utilisation. one thing I noted is that the GPU temperature never crossed 50. 

I tried the same thing with apex legends and valorant as well. the GPU was at 70-80% utilisation, remaining between 40-50 degrees, and I was getting 7 FPS in apex legends, 25 FPS in valorant.

I tried updating my graphics drivers and restarting the pc multiple times, but nothing changed. and yes, my laptop is plugged in and not running on battery. I even checked windows power options to see if the power modes had changed but they're all in balanced.

any help to resolve this issue would be appreciated. thanks in advance!

What was your gpu frequency when playing? Are you sure the game used the dedicated gpu and not the Ryzen integrated?

11 minutes ago, Naijin said:

What was your gpu frequency when playing? Are you sure the game used the dedicated gpu and not the Ryzen integrated?

this is while playing ghostrunner. this issue persists even when i disconnect the monitor, and the hdmi port connects directly into the gpu

gpu.PNG

😕

4 minutes ago, ColdPressCoconutOil said:

this is while playing ghostrunner. this issue persists even when i disconnect the monitor, and the hdmi port connects directly into the gpu

Your cpu is running at 0.39 GHz, how does that happen? What Windows power plan are you using?

7 minutes ago, Naijin said:

Your cpu is running at 0.39 GHz, how does that happen? What Windows power profile are you using?

there is a HP Recommended power setting. i have been using that since i recieved the laptop. although i did make one single change.

under power options>change plan settings>change advanced power settings>multimedia settings>when playing video>plugged in>changed from optimize video quality to balanced.

i was told to do this on this article i cannot find right now

edit: this issue was persistent even before i changed the setting to balanced

Edited by ColdPressCoconutOil

😕

1 minute ago, ColdPressCoconutOil said:

there is a HP Recommended power setting. i have been using that since i recieved the laptop. although i did make one single change.

under power options>change plan settings>change advanced power settings>multimedia settings>when playing video>plugged in>changed from optimize video quality to balanced.

i was told to do this on this article i cannot find right now

Is your laptop plugged in?

Try the high performance power plan, if it doesn't exist yet, look at the left side and click "create a power plan".

Use high performance as a baseline and give it a name, then try again 🙂

8 minutes ago, Naijin said:

Your cpu is running at 0.39 GHz, how does that happen? What Windows power profile are you using?

i am using firefox only right now and my cpu is running at 2.5 to 3 GHz, this doesnt make any sense

😕

Just now, Naijin said:

Is your laptop plugged in?

Try the high performance power plan, if it doesn't exist yet, look at the left side and click "create a power plan".

Use high performance as a baseline and give it a name, then try again 🙂

yep i made sure it was plugged in several times.

alright i will try this and get back to you soon

😕

@Naijin

2 minutes ago, ColdPressCoconutOil said:

i am using firefox only right now and my cpu is running at 2.5 to 3 GHz, this doesnt make any sense

okay i dont understand, sometimes it spikes to 2.5-3 ghz, otherwise it sits at around 0.3-0.9 ghz. it keeps fluctuating.

my pc is not as responsive as it used to be either, things like windows animations, opening applications and programs, etc. have all become slower than usual. is this also because of the low cpu clocks?

😕

It actually does make sense. Under low load, your cpu will use less power and can boost higher. When under heavy load, the cpu will automatically throttle and reduce voltages. My work laptop uses an i7 8665U, which under low load can turbo to over 4.4 GHz while using less than 10W. Under full load it will clock down to base at 2.0-2.2GHz while consuming 15W. Full load power draw is very different compared to idle turbo.

@Naijin

okay i dont understand, sometimes it spikes to 2.5-3 ghz, otherwise it sits at around 0.3-0.9 ghz. it keeps fluctuating.

my pc is not as responsive as it used to be either, things like windows animations, opening applications and programs, etc. have all become slower than usual. is this also because of the low cpu clocks?

This is most likely due to low clocks. You effectively divide your cpu power by 10. That's why you should check with the high performance power plan, as it will run your cpu with minimum 100% and maximum 100% (also verify this in the advanced power plan settings).

1 minute ago, Naijin said:

It actually does make sense. Under low load, your cpu will use less power and can boost higher. When under heavy load, the cpu will automatically throttle and reduce voltages. My work laptop uses an i7 8665U, which under low load can turbo to over 4.4 GHz while using less than 10W. Under full load it will clock down to base at 2.0-2.2GHz while consuming 15W. Full load power draw is very different compared to idle turbo.

oh i see, why are the clocks so low when im in a game then? any idea how the problem could have arised all of a sudden?

😕

oh i see, why are the clocks so low when im in a game then? any idea how the problem could have arised all of a sudden?

Running a game will put load on the cpu, and using a very low power plan, it will reduce clocks accordingly.

Question, how long have you had this laptop? Is it fairly new? If it is, you can always wipe all "bloatware" and start with a clean Windows install. That way you'll always have a clean machine to test with and will usually fix all your issues.

2 minutes ago, Naijin said:

Running a game will put load on the cpu, and using a very low power plan, it will reduce clocks accordingly.

Question, how long have you had this laptop? Is it fairly new? If it is, you can always wipe all "bloatware" and start with a clean Windows install. That way

you'll always have a clean machine to test with and will usually fix all your issues.

ive owned it since the beginning of january. i had made a system image of the laptop brand new as soon as it arrived, so i could use that and reset it, or i could reinstall windows. which should i do? is there any way i can fix this without having to do any of the above?

also, i tried running ghostrunner again with the high performance power plan, but im still getting 10 fps

image.thumb.png.92dc6788c8578f5f4a8cbd9256787248.png

😕

3 minutes ago, ColdPressCoconutOil said:

ive owned it since the beginning of january. i had made a system image of the laptop brand new as soon as it arrived, so i could use that and reset it, or i could reinstall windows. which should i do? is there any way i can fix this without having to do any of the above?

also, i tried running ghostrunner again with the high performance power plan, but im still getting 10 fps

image.thumb.png.92dc6788c8578f5f4a8cbd9256787248.png

What happens if you only put your cpu in a stress test? Try running Cinebench (R20/R23) and see if clocks go up. It looks like your cpu only tops out at 11.58W, which is way below the spec it's supposed to do.

1 minute ago, Naijin said:

What happens if you only put your cpu in a stress test? Try running Cinebench (R20/R23) and see if clocks go up. It looks like your cpu only tops out at 11.58W, which is way below the spec it's supposed to do.

okay, I'll download cinebench now and run the test. will get back to you soon. thanks!

😕

32 minutes ago, Naijin said:

image.png.c43d035714f5695ebf16969c78e50f0a.png

image.thumb.png.9f5d9c69c4892c20e84c58c793444ddc.png

😕

33 minutes ago, Naijin said:

my fans didnt even ramp up to medium speed even once, and the temperatures never crossed 45 degrees

😕

7 minutes ago, ColdPressCoconutOil said:

image.png.c43d035714f5695ebf16969c78e50f0a.png

image.thumb.png.9f5d9c69c4892c20e84c58c793444ddc.png

Does that mean when it loops it never keeps a steady clock speed?

According to a Reddit post the cpu should get about 8900 points in Cinebench R23 at normal operation. Your score of 2580 is very far below that.

I'd still suggest a complete reinstall of Windows. But not a reinstall from the HP image you created. Instead, use Windows Media Creation tool to create a bootable USB and boot from USB. Then, install Cinebench R23 again and try running it again. If it still doesn't properly work, I'd go for an RMA.

17 minutes ago, Naijin said:

According to a Reddit post the cpu should get about 8900 points in Cinebench R23 at normal operation. Your score of 2580 is very far below that.

I'd still suggest a complete reinstall of Windows. But not a reinstall from the HP image you created. Instead, use Windows Media Creation tool to create a bootable USB and boot from USB. Then, install Cinebench R23 again and try running it again. If it still doesn't properly work, I'd go for an RMA.

ah alright got it. thanks a lot for your help!

😕

On 3/19/2021 at 2:34 PM, Naijin said:

it worked! i reinstalled windows through windows media creation tool and im now able to play all my games normally. Thanks a lot for your help!

😕

• 4 weeks later...

Hello guys, I'm having the same issue with my Hp Omen 15 2020 AMD 4800 with RTX2060. Suddenly from today morning I'm getting 10-15FPS on games. So I also reinstalled a fresh copy of windows 10 home. But I'm still getting the same issue. I have the latest driver for GPU. Also my CPI is clocked at 0.38hz. 

1.PNG

• 5 months later...

yep. happened to me as well a couple weeks ago. a non-windows reboot or two fixed mine tho