I recently downloaded Alienware OC Controls and now my audio sounds very odd and not right, and I don't know what to do.

JCisme

So basically, I have a Dell G7 7790 laptop that is supposed to work with Alienware Control Center to control fans and overclocking and whatnot. So I download Alienware Control Center and it asks me to download Alienware OC Controls to control all of the fan settings and everything. I download the correct drivers for my computer and after I restart my computer, my audio is messed up completely. I can still hear out of my headphones, but it sounds very weird. For example, in youtube videos, it kind of sounds like the audio is only in front of me, and it sounds like low quality-ish. And in games, it feels like the sound is like vibrating my ears and once again, sounds low quality-ish. I have tried download the correct latest drivers for my computer from the Dell website, which changed nothing, and I really am not much into audio tech, so I don't know what to do. This problem has happened to me before, but it was so long ago that I don't remember the fix to it. My computer uses Realtek Audio Console, and i'll attach a screenshot of what it looks like. I have also gone into the device manager and tried updating the drivers, to which it told me that I am using the latest drivers. I appreciate any help.

Screenshot 2021-03-18 144213.png

Screenshot 2021-03-18 144237.png

Everything looks in check with those settings. Except for one thing.

Try checking the "Front left and right" box, under Full-range Speakers. Your headphones/speakers might not be receiving a full range signal.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

5 hours ago, Derkoli said:

Everything looks in check with those settings. Except for one thing.

Try checking the "Front left and right" box, under Full-range Speakers. Your headphones/speakers might not be receiving a full range signal.

I turned it on and it doesn't really do anything, the quality is still really messed up.

1 hour ago, JCisme said:

I turned it on and it doesn't really do anything, the quality is still really messed up.

Hmmmmm.......... All I can imagine is ditch the high level stuff and just let windows do it's thing at a lower level.  Top down software is easily broken in windows with everything changing and what not.  After you uninstall all of the audio software go into device manager control panel etc and let it do it's thing with updates, might even need to uninstall and reinstall drivers who knows.

Everything you see in these menus can and probably should be done within windows minus the EQ

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

10 hours ago, Psittac said:

Hmmmmm.......... All I can imagine is ditch the high level stuff and just let windows do it's thing at a lower level.  Top down software is easily broken in windows with everything changing and what not.  After you uninstall all of the audio software go into device manager control panel etc and let it do it's thing with updates, might even need to uninstall and reinstall drivers who knows.

Everything you see in these menus can and probably should be done within windows minus the EQ

So you are telling me to delete Realtek Audio Console, then delete the audio drivers and windows will hopefully reinstall the correct ones?

1 hour ago, JCisme said:

So you are telling me to delete Realtek Audio Console, then delete the audio drivers and windows will hopefully reinstall the correct ones?

correct, it'll reinstall the drivers then you can right click in device manager to update them, might take a few restarts

one useful tip is in device manager you can click view and show hidden devices

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

5 minutes ago, Psittac said:

correct, it'll reinstall the drivers then you can right click in device manager to update them

Should I reinstall Realtek Audio Console after?

Just now, JCisme said:

Should I reinstall Realtek Audio Console after?

at first no, just see what windows does with it

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

1 hour ago, Psittac said:

at first no, just see what windows does with it

I just deleted the drivers, is there supposed to be a prompt to restart or do i need to restart on my own? Also should i search online for drivers or not?

2 hours ago, Psittac said:

correct, it'll reinstall the drivers then you can right click in device manager to update them, might take a few restarts

one useful tip is in device manager you can click view and show hidden devices

Okay so I just deleted the drivers and new ones were reinstalled, but idk, i feel like it isn't fully fixed. I feel like it sounds better, but not like it was before. I also wasn't able to update the drivers, as it said that I was already on the latest ones, so do you know what I could do next? I didn't reinstall Realtek Audio Console if you wanna know.

1 hour ago, JCisme said:

Okay so I just deleted the drivers and new ones were reinstalled, but idk, i feel like it isn't fully fixed. I feel like it sounds better, but not like it was before. I also wasn't able to update the drivers, as it said that I was already on the latest ones, so do you know what I could do next? I didn't reinstall Realtek Audio Console if you wanna know.

I mean, you could try the realtek software and see if it helps, if it gets worse do what you just did.  Could it be that you have a physical malfunction with your headphones?

errr wait, did you go into the control panel and set the bitrate of the audio device after the reinstall?  Maybe try turning it up and down and see if that helps before you do the realtek drivers.  Could just be one setting that stuck around

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

I mean, you could try the realtek software and see if it helps, if it gets worse do what you just did.  Could it be that you have a physical malfunction with your headphones?

errr wait, did you go into the control panel and set the bitrate of the audio device after the reinstall?  Maybe try turning it up and down and see if that helps before you do the realtek drivers.  Could just be one setting that stuck around

I changed my bitrate back to 24 bit 48000 Hz and nothing really changed. Also, I think I can't even reinstall Realtek Audio Control (apparently its called "Control", not "Console"), cause it downloads through the Microsoft Store, and it's not working. I'm just so done with this computer, with all of these driver problems and thermal throttling problems I also have with this computer (I can't even run games like Fortnite and sometimes even Rocket League without throttling).

18 minutes ago, JCisme said:

I changed my bitrate back to 24 bit 48000 Hz and nothing really changed. Also, I think I can't even reinstall Realtek Audio Control (apparently its called "Control", not "Console"), cause it downloads through the Microsoft Store, and it's not working. I'm just so done with this computer, with all of these driver problems and thermal throttling problems I also have with this computer (I can't even run games like Fortnite and sometimes even Rocket League without throttling).

try 16bit, you need music specifically mastered in 24bit to even make use of it.  Also a typical gaming laptop really needs a chill pad to not throttle, I know my gaming laptop would freakin explode without one.  I wouldn't let the microsoft store bother you, that's all high level stuff, I prefer to use lower level implementations.   

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

47 minutes ago, Psittac said:

try 16bit, you need music specifically mastered in 24bit to even make use of it.  Also a typical gaming laptop really needs a chill pad to not throttle, I know my gaming laptop would freakin explode without one.  I wouldn't let the microsoft store bother you, that's all high level stuff, I prefer to use lower level implementations.   

Yea 16bit sounds the same. The worst part is that im already using a cooling pad lol.

11 minutes ago, JCisme said:

Yea 16bit sounds the same. The worst part is that im already using a cooling pad lol.

doht, do you have another pair of headphones or another source so that you can determine it is in fact the laptop?

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

doht, do you have another pair of headphones or another source so that you can determine it is in fact the laptop?

Yeah, I have used apple earbuds that now sound worse with the laptop.