Fake arctic MX-4?!!

Meeena

Hey peeps,

I recently upgraded my cpu cooler to an AIO and bought MX-4 thermal compound.

After awhile, I scanned the "Scan & Win" qr code on the back of the thermal compound case and it redirected me to arctic site and said my product is a counterfeit!

Can this damage my pc in anyway?!

note: "my thermals are really good even with this counterfeit paste"

Thanks
🙂

UPDATE: I just repasted both my GPU and CPU with a genuine MX-5 and temps dropped about 4-5 degrees on both of them!

Edited by Meeena
UPDATE

From what you've said, thermals are OK so..... I don't believe you have an issue to worry over with the paste itself.
Can you post a pic of the tube of TIM you have?

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

20 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

From what you've said, thermals are OK so..... I don't believe you have an issue to worry over with the paste itself.
Can you post a pic of the tube of TIM you have?

IMG_20210318_133831.jpg

IMG_20210318_133742.jpg

48 minutes ago, Meeena said:

After awhile, I scanned the "Scan & Win" qr code on the back of the thermal compound case and it redirected me to arctic site and said my product is a counterfeit!

you should follow up with the retailer (where did you buy this from?) and with arctic customer service, have your proof of purchase on hand. I'm sure if there's a large distributor handling illegitimate product they'd like to know about it.

If there's a mixup and it is legitimate, they might provide you with a new QR code.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

24 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

you should follow up with the retailer (where did you buy this from?) and with arctic customer service, have your proof of purchase on hand. I'm sure if there's a large distributor handling illegitimate product they'd like to know about it.

If there's a mixup and it is legitimate, they might provide you with a new QR code.

I bought it from a local computer store here in Egypt so I don't think they even care if it's legitimate or not. I'll contact arctic just to be sure. thanks

3 minutes ago, Heliian said:

That seems like a lot of work to counterfeit some thermal paste.  Probably just the site, or the contest was closed.  If you follow the links you'll find contact info. 

the draw is still open but I don't really care about it I just was curious xD but I'll contact Arctic anyways. thanks 🙂

• 1 month later...

What have you done so far ?

8 bought the same product from Hardware Market and when I contacted them they claimed that's a general problem but doesn't mean that the product isn't genuine. 

On 5/8/2021 at 6:32 PM, Dr.Hema said:

What have you done so far ?

8 bought the same product from Hardware Market and when I contacted them they claimed that's a general problem but doesn't mean that the product isn't genuine. 

Well, I contacted arctic and they confirmed it's counterfeit product unfortunately.

Performance wise, I'm still using it till now and it's actually not bad xD

I bought an MX-5 from arctic's site from germany tho (a friend got it for me from there)  but didn't apply it yet 😄

I bought an arctic MX-4 from an online store and some of the reviews said that it's a fake because of qr code problems so it's the same as you, it did drop (GPU) temps with lowered fan curve setting before repasting, didn't even know there was a qr code on the back until i saw the reviews

yea and apparently there are some other indicators other than the qr code. when I contacted arctic and sent the pics for my paste they told me so but didn't point out those differences in packaging.

but I mean at least it kinda works lol

this is funny i just bought mx4 and the pictures in the arctic store looked soooo fake (didnt say mx4 just "thermal paste" ) so i bought it from another store that said "mx4" on the package lol.

edit: imo that looks also kinda fake ʕ•ٹ•ʔ

20210521_043946.thumb.jpg.cd62b9c7fd6515589dfca7e320481012.jpg

And I also just checked, the code on my package from 2 years ago still works! 👀

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 5/21/2021 at 4:33 AM, Mark Kaine said:

this is funny i just bought mx4 and the pictures in the arctic store looked soooo fake (didnt say mx4 just "thermal paste" ) so i bought it from another store that said "mx4" on the package lol.

edit: imo that looks also kinda fake ʕ•ٹ•ʔ

20210521_043946.thumb.jpg.cd62b9c7fd6515589dfca7e320481012.jpg

And I also just checked, the code on my package from 2 years ago still works! 👀

Yea I've noticed that too 🤦😂 but as long the qr code works or you bought directly from arctic store you should be good to go 🙂

• 3 months later...

is this safe to use? i bought same product , i don't have an alternative and i need to replace my cooler

i can have a decent thermal past which i ordered next month , would it be safe to use this till then?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2021 at 12:48 PM, dzsergio said:

is this safe to use? i bought same product , i don't have an alternative and i need to replace my cooler

i can have a decent thermal past which i ordered next month , would it be safe to use this till then?

I didn't have time to repaste both of the cpu and gpu and ended up using it to this moment and it's still great xD

Where did you buy this thermal compound?

as for damage this shouldn't have much effect other than you getting higher temperatures on the CPU/GPU

-------------
the LTT DIY thermalpaste video is a good example of this:

or the BULK thermalpaste video:

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Counterfeit thermal paste is like a massive market now apparently

I'm still trying to find a legitimate seller for kryonaut, i dont trust ANY third party seller on amazon, not when theres so many bad reviews for this problem.

System Specs: AMD 5950x PBO-AutoNoctua DH-15 Black | Gigabyte x570 MasterEVGA 3080FTW3 Ultra | (2x16gb) G.Skill Royal 3600mhz CL18 | Corsair 5000D Airflow (Black) Samsung 980 Pro 2TB & Firecuda 520 1TB & Crucial MX500 2tb850W Corsair RMX | 2 Noctua A14 CPU, 6 Noctua A12x25 Intake, 3x Noctua F12 Top Exhaust, 1x Noctua A12x25 Back Exhaust

Monitors: (Main) LG Ultragear 34" 2k Ultrawide 144hz IPS '34GP83A-B' (Side) Acer Predator 27" 2k 144hz TN 'Abmiprz'

Peripherals: Corsair K100 OPX | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Corsair Virtuoso SE | Audioengine A2+

27 minutes ago, Daethz said:

Counterfeit thermal paste is like a massive market now apparently

I'm still trying to find a legitimate seller for kryonaut, i dont trust ANY third party seller on amazon, not when theres so many bad reviews for this problem.

If you cant find legit thermal paste then just buy the chinese stuff

Gd900 is a pretty good thermal paste, from what ive seen its comparable to arctic mx4

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/16/2021 at 11:46 PM, darknessblade said:

Where did you buy this thermal compound?

as for damage this shouldn't have much effect other than you getting higher temperatures on the CPU/GPU

-------------
the LTT DIY thermalpaste video is a good example of this:

or the BULK thermalpaste video:

I got it from a local shop here on Egypt. It wasn't even cheap! Anyways I got MX-5 from Germany and probably will repaste everything this week or so.

On 3/18/2021 at 12:12 PM, Meeena said:

2 hours ago, Meeena said:

I got it from a local shop here on Egypt. It wasn't even cheap! Anyways I got MX-5 from Germany and probably will repaste everything this week or so.

Hello. Same thing happened to me too. Is it save to use? Did it damage you pc?

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

3 hours ago, Ralf said:

Hello. Same thing happened to me too. Is it save to use? Did it damage you pc?

Everything works fine and the temps are surprisingly good tbh. Nothing to worry about.

On 3/18/2021 at 1:12 PM, Meeena said:

Hey peeps,

I recently upgraded my cpu cooler to an AIO and bought MX-4 thermal compound.

note: "my thermals are really good even with this counterfeit paste"

Thanks
🙂

hey mate do mind telling me where did you got it from ? cause i bought 2 and i was wondering if they where fake too

ps: i'm in Egy-Cairo

On 10/6/2021 at 11:01 AM, Khaled ElSaiad said:

hey mate do mind telling me where did you got it from ? cause i bought 2 and i was wondering if they where fake too

ps: i'm in Egy-Cairo

I bought it from Sigma computer store.

And to be sure you got the original product, scan the qr code on the mx-4 package. It should tell you if it's counterfeit.

i bought mine from elbadr group at black friday 2020 i noticed the difference in badges on the back between yours and mine 

244355396_189084423367928_5186995054433354055_n.thumb.jpg.d8a981d94f75c2940f412753bd8dd539.jpg

when i scaned the qr code it directed me to this 

Capture.thumb.PNG.4863654f6d11b51eced884fc8d66631f.PNG

i guess that ok right?

have you tried to returned it,get your money back?

anyway it's not that good of a thermal paste i would go for noctua nt-h2 or Hydronaut ,Kryonaut from Thermal Grizzly which are available on amazon.eg especially if you wanted to change paste of your gpu