3900x worth upgrading to 5000 Series?

I have got a 3900x in May 2020. I don't know if it would be worth to upgrade to 5000 series CPU?

I'll be using it for streaming, gaming, rendering/editing videos, photos and of course stream production in the future once I learn more.

I have never touched the bios, or adding any static voltage to it. All I have done was enabled PBO. The warning message one and the the other. I don't know why there was two on my board (Asus TUF x570) but both enabled. As well as 3200mhz D.O.C.P. 1600MHZ FCLK. I know how to overclock a CPU.

I overclock by just set my desired clock speed, and stress test my system using Aida64 or OCCT while incrementally increasing the voltage by 0.05v until the system is stable and no BSOD's are happening. If I am happy with the temperatures my processor reaches, I save the settings. However I have never done this do to people scaring me of degradation with voltage statics with ryzen. With Intel I was throwing voltage at it. Haha.

Should I just go for an overclock? As whenever EVGA gets stock of RTX 3080 FTW3 ultra (when its my turn in queue) I'll be exchanging the 3070 XC3 ultra for that. If it makes a difference on a decision.

First watercooled System

Build Name: Frost

Monitor: Alienware AW3423DWF 1800R Curved Ultrawide 3440x1440 QD-OLED 157hz 10 bit 0.1ms

Chassis: Lian Li 011 Dynamic EVO w/ 2x120mm Corsair QL RGB Fans on the bottom 1x120mm on back exhaust

Top Rad & Fans:  Corsair 54mm 360mm w/ 3x120mm Corsair ML Pro RGB Fans

Side Rad & Fans: Corsair 30mm 360mm w/ 3x120mm Corsair QL RGB Fans

Motherboard: Asrock X670E Steel Legend

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D w/ Corsair XC7 RGB Pro w/ Kyrosheet

Memory/RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB DDR5 2x16GB 32GB 6000Mhz

GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 4080 TUF w/ EK-Quantum Vector2 Nickel/Plexi & Backplate

Pump/Reservoir: Corsair XD5 RGB

Coolant: EK Mystic Fog

PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000w G3 w/ custom modmesh black & white cables from cablemod

Boot/OS SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe

WZ/2042 SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Game SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB

Performance/Editing HDD: Western Digital Black 1TB

Storage HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB

Mouse: Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition/Razer Mamba

Mouse Mat: Corsair MM700 RGB

Keyboard: Razer Ornata Chroma

Microphone: HyperX Quadcast

Headset: Razer Blackshark v2 Pro

Eyewear/Glasses: Gunnar Optiks Razer FPS

Camera: Razer Kiyo Pro

17 minutes ago, ChaoticChaosx said:

I have got a 3900x in May 2020. I don't know if it would be worth to upgrade to 5000 series CPU?

I'll be using it for streaming, gaming, rendering/editing videos, photos and of course stream production in the future once I learn more.

I have never touched the bios, or adding any static voltage to it. All I have done was enabled PBO. The warning message one and the the other. I don't know why there was two on my board (Asus TUF x570) but both enabled. As well as 3200mhz D.O.C.P. 1600MHZ FCLK. I know how to overclock a CPU.

I overclock by just set my desired clock speed, and stress test my system using Aida64 or OCCT while incrementally increasing the voltage by 0.05v until the system is stable and no BSOD's are happening. If I am happy with the temperatures my processor reaches, I save the settings. However I have never done this do to people scaring me of degradation with voltage statics with ryzen. With Intel I was throwing voltage at it. Haha.

Should I just go for an overclock? As whenever EVGA gets stock of RTX 3080 FTW3 ultra (when its my turn in queue) I'll be exchanging the 3070 XC3 ultra for that. If it makes a difference on a decision.

The 3900X may bottleneck the 3080 for about 10% of its performance. If you really want an absolute dream machine and you care about the 10% for your streaming and content creation - get a 5000 series. If you think that the 10% bottleneck are not worth spending an extra (how much is it? like 400- bucks?) for a new CPU - don't get it. I personally would not get it, because the better performance would not be worth the so much extra spending for me, but this is just my opinion. Hope that helps!

But now, fellow gamers, that was it for me. Please keep in mind, that this is just my personal opionion and I am no expert. Your system shall be cooled forever, see you next time.

I have overclocked my 3900X to 4.4GHz, the infinity fabric is also clocked a bit and I really don't see any meaningful bottleneck with an RTX 3080. Keep in mind that I play my games on 2160p usually with max settings. What is the clock speed that you managed to overclock to. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

48 minutes ago, JohanKjeldahl7 said:

The 3900X may bottleneck the 3080 for about 10% of its performance.

What?

It highly depends on the application and what not

As for op, is your CPU limiting you in any way?

If yes, then you decide if the upgrade is worth it

If not, then you won't see much difference from the upgrade

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

41 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

What?

It highly depends on the application and what not

Sorry I forgot to include the usecase and info.

10% bottleneck is the average for this combination at 1080p gaming on ultra settings.

Here is my source: https://www.cpuagent.com/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-3900x/bottleneck/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080?res=1&quality=ultra

The link actually says 11%.

I totally agree with you on the application topic, sorry for not including it, that was my fault.

But now, fellow gamers, that was it for me. Please keep in mind, that this is just my personal opionion and I am no expert. Your system shall be cooled forever, see you next time.

Bottleneck calculators aren't really that helpful.

In some games there will be almost none, in others, a huge bottleneck, and most others, it will depend on the specific conditions within that game and it will fluctuate as you play.

I would say you need to consider the majority of the games you play to see if they are sensitive to cpu limitations. If they are, then upgrading isn't a bad idea.

For example if you play a lot of MMO games, a cpu upgrade is a good choice.

If you play a bunch of doom eternal, then no.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

16 hours ago, JohanKjeldahl7 said:

The 3900X may bottleneck the 3080 for about 10% of its performance. If you really want an absolute dream machine and you care about the 10% for your streaming and content creation - get a 5000 series. If you think that the 10% bottleneck are not worth spending an extra (how much is it? like 400- bucks?) for a new CPU - don't get it. I personally would not get it, because the better performance would not be worth the so much extra spending for me, but this is just my opinion. Hope that helps!

Not really to worried if just 10%. Not like I don't have the money to do an whole new system build twice over.

15 hours ago, Analog said:

I have overclocked my 3900X to 4.4GHz, the infinity fabric is also clocked a bit and I really don't see any meaningful bottleneck with an RTX 3080. Keep in mind that I play my games on 2160p usually with max settings. What is the clock speed that you managed to overclock to. 

All Max settings at 1440p is what I play at.  I never touched overclocking yet as I mentioned. I don't know much about the infinity fabric but what I do see is 4.3Ghz all core when under load/in game so I'm not sure how far I can get if I did attempt to overclock.

Like I said I read to much I guess some say this, "the voltage with Ryzen is not like intel", "static voltage bad", "offset okay but not great for highest clocks possible". I'll just attempt one day here soon see what happens.

14 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

Bottleneck calculators aren't really that helpful.

In some games there will be almost none, in others, a huge bottleneck, and most others, it will depend on the specific conditions within that game and it will fluctuate as you play.

I would say you need to consider the majority of the games you play to see if they are sensitive to cpu limitations. If they are, then upgrading isn't a bad idea.

For example if you play a lot of MMO games, a cpu upgrade is a good choice.

If you play a bunch of doom eternal, then no.

I play mostly "mainstream" games. Like Cyberpunk 2077 (once full patches are done) tomb raider, resident evil remakes, doom, Warzone...etc. All Max settings at 1440p. I play no MMO games. Ever. Just not into them. So might just try an overclock and get what I get.

Thank you all for your information and suggestions helped me out. I appreciate you all.

First watercooled System

Monitor: Alienware AW3423DWF 1800R Curved Ultrawide 3440x1440 QD-OLED 157hz 10 bit 0.1ms

Chassis: Lian Li 011 Dynamic EVO w/ 2x120mm Corsair QL RGB Fans on the bottom 1x120mm on back exhaust

PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000w G3 w/ custom modmesh black & white cables from cablemod

18 minutes ago, ChaoticChaosx said:

Not really to worried if just 10%. Not like I don't have the money to do an whole new system build twice over.

All Max settings at 1440p is what I play at.  I never touched overclocking yet as I mentioned. I don't know much about the infinity fabric but what I do see is 4.3Ghz all core when under load/in game so I'm not sure how far I can get if I did attempt to overclock.

Like I said I read to much I guess some say this, "the voltage with Ryzen is not like intel", "static voltage bad", "offset okay but not great for highest clocks possible". I'll just attempt one day here soon see what happens.

I play mostly "mainstream" games. Like Cyberpunk 2077 (once full patches are done) tomb raider, resident evil remakes, doom, Warzone...etc. All Max settings at 1440p. I play no MMO games. Ever. Just not into them. So might just try an overclock and get what I get.

Thank you all for your information and suggestions helped me out. I appreciate you all.

yeah i don't think an upgrade makes sense based on those games

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

I don't even want to read this.

Dude are you serious,you want to upgrade 12C/24T beast with 5000 series,wtf is wrong with you? 😄

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

I Have my 3900x ccx oc to 4500mhz since day one, and I have a 6800xt, It bottlenecks on the tittles that are old or just use one or 2 cores. The rest just dosent care amazing cpu. Just keep it and wait for ddr5, ddr5 will have new cpu, new rams and ofc new board, so just put the money side for that, thats what Im doing. 

On 3/18/2021 at 8:58 AM, JohanKjeldahl7 said:

10% bottleneck is the average for this combination at 1080p gaming on ultra settings.

1080p, mate, 1080p. You'll be CPU limited with a 2080 as well. This is why CPU benchmarks are done at 1080p. And giving an overal figure is very inaccurate since CPU impact on gaming performance varies dramatically between titles.

And who buys a 3080 to game at 1080p? That does not make any sense. 1440p or 4k, that's what those cards are intented to run. 

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

1 hour ago, bowrilla said:

1080p, mate, 1080p. You'll be CPU limited with a 2080 as well. This is why CPU benchmarks are done at 1080p. And giving an overal figure is very inaccurate since CPU impact on gaming performance varies dramatically between titles.

And who buys a 3080 to game at 1080p? That does not make any sense. 1440p or 4k, that's what those cards are intented to run. 

I completely agree with you, those cards are intented to run very high resolutions on very high settings. Using a number for 1080p from a bottleneck calculator sure was not the best idea and I have learned from this mistake. In the future, I will first ask what games the person is playing on which resolution and try to find user experience for this games instead of using a bottleneck calculator. Thank you for pointing these things out.

8 hours ago, Xkillerpn said:

I Have my 3900x ccx oc to 4500mhz since day one, and I have a 6800xt, It bottlenecks on the tittles that are old or just use one or 2 cores. The rest just dosent care amazing cpu. Just keep it and wait for ddr5, ddr5 will have new cpu, new rams and ofc new board, so just put the money side for that, thats what Im doing. 

what settings you applied to hit 4.5 GHz,I don't think anyone over internet hit 4.5 with 3900X.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

On 3/19/2021 at 8:23 AM, bowrilla said:

Right I'm running 1440p on a 32". I didn't know if a 5000 series is a big improvement or not with a 3080 that is all. I'll be waiting quite sometime though like till it ages enough for a full new build.

On 3/19/2021 at 6:52 AM, Xkillerpn said:

What?! 4.5? I get a solid 4.3 under load in tests and games. Voltage levels out around 1.180V. I'll have to take some time and go for my OC.

First watercooled System