Ways to adapt a computer to parkinsons diease.

My great uncle has suffered from parkinsons for 10 years  and is deteriorating quite rapidly now. He is having to change alot of stuff in his lifestyle to even survive. But this is a matter of enjoyment I suppose, My Grandpa Skypes him as he lives in Boston and we're in the UK. It's just a way for him to connect to his family and is really a lifeline for him. Now though he cannot even see the screen properly and if you're familar with parkinsons you know it causes shakes. This means he cant even control the mouse or see what he is doing; making it a whole lot harder for him to communicate with us over here. He is an acamdemic, he was a dean at MIT and now can barely read a book or focus on a computer screen for more than 5 minutes, as you can understand this is extremely frustrating for him and I just want to see if there is any suggestions from you lot to improve this situation. Any feedback will be much appreciated and thank you for your time.

You can use the build in speech command in Mac OSX. This should atleast make him able to control the computer.

There is probably also specialized software and hardware for people in his situation. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

You can use the build in speech command in Mac OSX. This should atleast make him able to control the computer.

There is probably also specialized software and hardware for people in his situation. 

is the speech command in mac osx known to be quite reliable? but the main issue with this is parkinsons has attacked his vocals so he slurs and mumble a hell of a lot but thank you very much anyway

;/ wish I could help but I honestly don't feel qualified enough to help, I would hate to make it any worse.

its ok i didnt expect to hear from a medical proffesional on here so fire away with ideas anything is better than nothing!

check out a track-ball mouse, they're far & thin between, but they still exist, it can help with the shaky hands.

Wireless-trackman-mouse.jpg

thank you this might exactly what he needs! i'll search for one now

people like all of you that replied or tried to help are the reason why i love this forum

is the speech command in mac osx known to be quite reliable? but the main issue with this is parkinsons has attacked his vocals so he slurs and mumble a hell of a lot but thank you very much anyway

I have only played aroud with it, but it seemed pretty accurate.

I think there is a way to tailor the voice commands to his voice, so the sluring shouldn't be too much of a problem, unless it is very inconsistent.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes