I (almost) burnt AIO pump->fans cable :(

frozensun

Damn,my friends,

I dunno what was I thinking routing the cable like this way last year,over my RAM memory...probably didn't think that RAM will heat too.

Luckly PC wasn't working that much for a year but enough to do this tiny damage.

Today I check and see this is not right and there (marked in red) I could see a tiny damage on that place marked with blue arrow,and as seen on pic,one wire lost isolation.

I hope I noticed at the perfect time,and I will correct this tomorrow,but I blame myself how stupid was I routing the cable like this.

Obviously cable must go over RAM memory,but not touching it,but it is hard to route the cable without touching memory modules in any way.

I checked what cable is this and it goes to connectors marked 1 and 2 probably for controlling PWM of fans.

I hope this won't be an issue in the future,these cables are so tiny it's impossible to solder them.

I marked with blue,the damage,maybe it looks like light glare or really the isolation was damaged by the heat of RAM,or I'm overexaggerating this.

Tomorrow will have day light,and check better with flashlight,but so far everything works okay.

I hope I noticed this as right time...I'm so sad,you know guys I have bad OCD,and what I did made me so sad.

20210317_170730.jpg

20210317_171212.jpg

20210317_170542.jpg

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

I would not call that "burnt". If your ram is heating so much that it can deform plastic, you have bigger problems than that slightly scuffed cable. That cable looks like it was caught on something and was peeled slightly. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I dont see RAM heating it up at all.  Maybe the LED?  Ive seen LEDs melt some plastics (I.E. cheaper LED strips etc)

At least, I wouldnt concern myself with any PC insulated wire touching RAM.  I could be wrong though.  I bet it was the LED (if in fact it was melted by the LED).  Could it be possible that the pump vibrated such a tiny amount that, over time, it was rubbed off?  Could be reaching with that question

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

The wires had conntact with head spreader on RAM...now I'm not sure if heated RAM can burn isolation on wire...

The RAM temperature is hmm maybe 45-50 C not sure...but this is RGB RAM.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Tidy cables are happy cables. I didn't think an LED could get that warm. I have to question the effectiveness of the cooling system in your chassis. I only have one pair of RGB ram, but both pairs together are sitting at 24c right now overclocked and overvolted. Not @ load though.. that is 30c.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3733 14-14-14-34 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
EVGA SuperNova 750w | Fractal Torrent Compact | 1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

6 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

I dont see RAM heating it up at all.  Maybe the LED?  Ive seen LEDs melt some plastics (I.E. cheaper LED strips etc)

At least, I wouldnt concern myself with any PC insulated wire touching RAM.  I could be wrong though.  I bet it was the LED (if in fact it was melted by the LED).  Could it be possible that the pump vibrated such a tiny amount that, over time, it was rubbed off?  Could be reaching with that question

just like all electrical components,RAM heats up too.if you have temp sensors on good quality RAM,it can report temp on chips.

I think my goes to around 40 C,but not sure if that temp can melt wire isolation.what ever happened there is that tiny damage,and I think RAM is to blame...and me ofc.

Looks like it was possibly just rubbing on the ram and or it's dust from the computer, as I am seeing dust build up in the pictures. It doesn't look like melting plastic from the pictures. That's insulated wire either way it should be fine. But if you're really worried about it use a zip tie or something and move it away from the ram so it's not touching.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

3 minutes ago, frozensun said:

just like all electrical components,RAM heats up too.if you have temp sensors on good quality RAM,it can report temp on chips.

I think my goes to around 40 C,but not sure if that temp can melt wire isolation.what ever happened there is that tiny damage,and I think RAM is to blame...and me ofc.

I understand.  Still not hot enough to melt wire insulation.  If there is damage it was either like that, or rub.

However LED's can get very hot, up to 100c - but the insulated wires we use can take up to 200C+ and they dont melt, they char.  (quick googling around)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

3 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Looks like it was possibly just rubbing on the ram and or it's dust from the computer, as I am seeing dust build up in the pictures. It doesn't look like melting plastic from the pictures. That's insulated wire either way it should be fine. But if you're really worried about it use a zip tie or something and move it away from the ram so it's not touching.

yep I know,will do it tomorrow,but in any way that wire must go over memory modules,can't route the wires over VRM heatsink.

Maybe it is dust who knows,it's late here and dark.

Could be just rubbing the heatsink on modules.

I will check tomorrow on daily light.

13 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

I understand.  Still not hot enough to melt wire insulation.  If there is damage it was either like that, or rub.

However LED's can get very hot, up to 100c - but the insulated wires we use can take up to 200C+ and they dont melt, they char.  (quick googling around)

On picture this look liek melted,and dust isn't for sure....so if insulation is not melted then I dunno what the hell is it...

Look at the other wires...marked with red.

If you say so bro,that I don't have to worry about it.

In any way I will use zip ties in other way and try to route the wires so they don't touch RAM modules.

If this is not the damage of the cable insulation then I dunno what the hell is it (marked in red).

Hope I noticed at right time..

Well I did cable management, yeah it's messy but what the hell,at least everything works so far...

20210318_131827.jpg

20210318_131106.jpg