Is mining really that bad on GPU if temperatures are correct ?

Hey there,

With the recent surge in crypto prices I wanted to try out mining, so I downloaded NiceHash QuickMiner (which if I understood correctly mines Ethereum using the DaggerHashimoto algorithm) and ran it for most of yesterday on my RTX 2060.

I enabled the "lite optimization preset" which seems to undervolt the card and overclock the memory (GPU memory is running at around 7GHz according to NiceHash) to maximize the mining efficiency. I closely monitored temperatures because I know heat is horrible for GPU and after a bit of fan tweaking in the utility included with NiceHash I managed to get the average temperature down to 60°C and the hotspot temperature under 73°C.

However I've read that controlling temperatures might not be sufficient to preserve the GPU's lifespan, since overclocking the memory combined with the fact that Ethereum mining is apparently very VRAM intensive might wreck the card, which worried me to the point I stopped mining for the time being. Is this true, and if so, to what extent ? How long would it take for mining under such conditions to damage the card ?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure what the price of electricity is where you live, but mining on a single card, especially an RTX 2060 is probably not all that profitable. Regarding the temperatures, unless the card is overheating and you have some adequate case airflow it should be fine.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

4 minutes ago, Analog said:

Not sure what the price of electricity is where you live, but mining on a single card, especially an RTX 2060 is probably not all that profitable. Regarding the temperatures, unless the card is overheating and you have some adequate case airflow it should be fine.

Seems to be profitable according to https://www.nicehash.com/profitability-calculator/nvidia-rtx-2060. Wasn't sure about their objectivity but the values they give for one day line up pretty well with what I've made yesterday.

5 minutes ago, Analog said:

I keep seeing this "mimimg on a single card isnt profitable", but my 4gb  480 still profits me in eth.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I keep seeing this "mimimg on a single card isnt profitable", but my 4gb  480 still profits me in eth.

It all depends how much the electricity costs where you are located. In my region electricity is expensive so it makes little sense when mining on one card. I do have friends that make decent money when mining, but they own several dozen machines especially built for for that purpose. 

8 minutes ago, Edern said:

Seems to be profitable according to https://www.nicehash.com/profitability-calculator/nvidia-rtx-2060. Wasn't sure about their objectivity but the values they give for one day line up pretty well with what I've made yesterday.

I don't believe that 3 USD a day profitable in any way, but if you think otherwise, then go ahead. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

20 minutes ago, Analog said:

It all depends how much the electricity costs where you are located. In my region electricity is expensive so it makes little sense when mining on one card. I do have friends that make decent money when mining, but they own several dozen machines especially built for for that purpose. 

if 3$ isn't profitable, how much is your electricity? Its like 15c/KWh for me

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, Analog said:

I don't believe that 3 USD a day profitable in any way, but if you think otherwise, then go ahead. 

I agree that it isn't a lot, but it's still much more than the electricity cost, and since I'm currently still a student every little bit counts as profitable lmao. Unless it's killing the card of course, but from what you've said above as long as I keep the temperatures down I should be fine right ?

On 3/17/2021 at 6:05 AM, Edern said:

Hey there,

With the recent surge in crypto prices I wanted to try out mining, so I downloaded NiceHash QuickMiner (which if I understood correctly mines Ethereum using the DaggerHashimoto algorithm) and ran it for most of yesterday on my RTX 2060.

I enabled the "lite optimization preset" which seems to undervolt the card and overclock the memory (GPU memory is running at around 7GHz according to NiceHash) to maximize the mining efficiency. I closely monitored temperatures because I know heat is horrible for GPU and after a bit of fan tweaking in the utility included with NiceHash I managed to get the average temperature down to 60°C and the hotspot temperature under 73°C.

However I've read that controlling temperatures might not be sufficient to preserve the GPU's lifespan, since overclocking the memory combined with the fact that Ethereum mining is apparently very VRAM intensive might wreck the card, which worried me to the point I stopped mining for the time being. Is this true, and if so, to what extent ? How long would it take for mining under such conditions to damage the card ?

Thanks in advance.

Could u please mention the tweaking you did in nice hash to get the Hotspot temp down to 73? I'm in an eerily similar situation to you as a student with an RTX 2060 looking for some extra cash and I started this week with nicehash but my Hotspot temp is around 78 on lite which has me worried. 

Thanks alot and good luck with mining!