AMD has got to be kidding

AMD can’t help it sometimes. Nvidia makes a mistake and they just have to one-up them. With the timing of this launch, that’s exactly what the Radeon RX 6700 XT is - But could it still be good?

Check out the Radeon RX 6700 XT at https://geni.us/8KOEHcP

Buy an AMD GPU
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/6gEz
On Best Buy (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/CSmTN35
On WalMart (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/CSsiAFO
On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/JpJV1v
On B&H (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/MjPA

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

4 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

AMD can’t help it sometimes. Nvidia makes a mistake and they just have to one-up them. With the timing of this launch, that’s exactly what the Radeon RX 6700 XT is - But could it still be good?

Check out the Radeon RX 6700 XT at https://geni.us/8KOEHcP

Buy an AMD GPU
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/6gEz
On Best Buy (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/CSmTN35
On WalMart (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/CSsiAFO
On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/JpJV1v
On B&H (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/MjPA

anthony? AMD Card review? Oh boy I clicked on this one fast

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

1 minute ago, Downkey said:

anthony? AMD Card review? Oh boy I clicked on this one fast

Faster than pressing F5 for available GPU stock. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

An early one...

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Yikes. Not looking too good. 3070 is a vastly better card, $479 is way too high for the reference model, AIBs will be near $600 or more I'm sure. 

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

Unlike how the numbers show the card performance, this video is pretty good in my opinion. I'm not sure whether it's the writing or the video editing, but what Anthony says during the video is in-sync with what is shown in the B-roll. I think this is one of LTT videos where I can catch up the graphs explanation and fully understand the points delivered.

2 minutes ago, AbdulMubdiBIndarNewbie said:

Unlike how the numbers show the card performance, this video is pretty good in my opinion. I'm not sure whether it's the writing or the video editing, but what Anthony says during the video is in-sync with what is shown in the B-roll. I think this is one of LTT videos where I can catch up the graphs explanation and fully understand the points delivered.

it's more likely that it's b/c Anthony hosted this video

Edited by Red :)
Rephrased.

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

"Amazing card" my ass.

$399, this would've been fair game and a nice successor to the 5700XT. But nope, and yet we know exactly why they priced it the way they did.

Doesn't matter how good or bad value it is. They'll sell through inventory anyhow...

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Oh man, are AMD GPU's competitive in anything anymore? It's not even worth to buy for OpenCL work like in the past, CUDA has completely demolished the competition there.

1 minute ago, D13H4RD said:

"Amazing card" my ass.

$399, this would've been fair game and a nice successor to the 5700XT. But nope, and yet we know exactly why they priced it the way they did.

Doesn't matter how good or bad value it is. They'll sell through inventory anyhow...

Yup and now the precedence is set for future SKUs to be priced similarly.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

The RTX 3070 is a better card,and if you want DLSS, RTX voice, or NVENC, an RTX card may be a better choice, but because of the current market you can't buy one at a reasonable price anyway.

The $479 MSRP is also too much in my opinion, although at least AMD didn't set the price low at launch to only increase it later, but I agree this probably sets a higher pricing model for future card SKUs, although I expect Nvidia to do that as well.

Could AMD's "legendary" drivers be a source of performance issues?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I won't doubt the test results, nor the conclusion. But it might be wise to understand the situation LMG is in now: a recommended GPU is immediately snapped up by scalpers and miners, so not available for gamers (the LMG audience!), they have the "genuine gamers" program to roll out, so (publicly) emphasising the poor price/performance may actually get scalpers and miners to leave the launch stock alone. Making it available for gamers to buy 😉

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Just now, Dutch_Master said:

I won't doubt the test results, nor the conclusion. But it might be wise to understand the situation LMG is in now: a recommended GPU is immediately snapped up by scalpers and miners, so not available for gamers (the LMG audience!), they have the "genuine gamers" program to roll out, so (publicly) emphasising the poor price/performance may actually get scalpers and miners to leave the launch stock alone. Making it available for gamers to buy 😉

An interesting idea, except other reviewers might find differing results, which might hurt LTT's credibility

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

11 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

wishful thinking there

So do I smash the refresh button tomorrow to buy one and hopefully sell my Vega 64 for a daft amount on eBay or do I just hold on until the end of the year and hope the 6800XT settles down in price and availability? Given the performance to price I'm tempted to hold off but feel the Vega is showing its age, especially as I'm running at 3440x1440

5 minutes ago, Nick980 said:

So do I smash the refresh button tomorrow to buy one and hopefully sell my Vega 64 for a daft amount on eBay or do I just hold on until the end of the year and hope the 6800XT settles down in price and availability? Given the performance to price I'm tempted to hold off but feel the Vega is showing its age, especially as I'm running at 3440x1440

Patience is a virtue. And you will be thusly rewarded for it.

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

An interesting idea, except other reviewers might find differing results, which might hurt LTT's credibility

The test results are genuine, I doubt LMG has made them worse then reality. It's the overall tenure of the message Anthony is conveying: it's not a bad card, but certainly not as much value for money as things stand ATM. And he's emphasising it fairly strongly IMO. Is it deliberate? I have no idea, can't read his mind 😉

59 minutes ago, LpoolTech said:

wishful thinking there

I am indeed hoping a sense of pre-corona normality returns quickly, yes 😛

this card launched now because 2 6700xt/6000 dies can come from a single 6800/6800xt/6900
its about massively increasing the number of cards out.
I don't like the pricing, I'd like to see this card be at the 400$ mark with the 6700 when that launches at 325

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I also watched GN's review. I feel like GN had slightly better results for their benchmarks, the 6700xt placed above the 3070 in more of their results than for LTT. That being said, it's still not a great value at its price. I think Steve said it well there, it's better than the 5700xt, but it's also more expensive. So to be honest it's more of a side-grade than anything. And looking at the value proposition for this card and the 3060, it seems like complete stagnation.

It seemed to me that for 1080p (and in some cases 1440 as well) the 6700xt still seems to outgun Nvidia, or at least trade blows. And looking at Steam hardware surveys shows this to be vastly more important. 

That being said, it's so hard to tell these days. Not only is the GPU market absolute chaos, but MSRPs don't seem to matter anyway. The 3060ti at $399 seems like a great value, but everything other than the FE are way more expensive than that. This goes for the 3070 too. It's impossible to tell if this is from tariffs, shortages, scalping, unrealistic MSRPs for AIBs, or what. eBay prices aside, none of the MSRPs are realistic since the AIB cards this generation seem to carry a much higher premium than normal. Kinda crazy too think I bought an AIB GTX970 for just over $300 brand new back in the day, and now a $399 price tag for a 3060ti FE is unrealistically cheap. GPU prices have really inflated.