Question about the health of this NVMe Drive

Coras

Some context before the question (and apologies for the length):

I had an Asus G752VS gaming laptop like, one and a half years ago, until I spilled tea on it. I immediately shut it down and turned it over to dry, but that didn't save so I have sent it to Amazon Protect, which ended me being able to claim a full refund (because it'd take a long time to get the parts needed for the fix).

Before I sent it though, I had to get my data from my NVMe drive inside and delete my work related documents (company policy to not disclose any info about me and the company, even like contracts etc.). So I ordered an enclosure, put the drive in and plugged it to my Pi 3B and got my files. However, during the process the drive was disconnecting, not being able to connect for 10-15mins, and then can be reconnected again. I managed to get my files, delete the ones I needed to be gone from the drive, and formatted it with MBR for good measure (again, company policy) before putting it back in the laptop. I always thought it was a temperature issue. However, the repairer at Amazon Protect deemed it broken and wanted to replace (which in the end it did not happen). Regardless, I asked if I can get my drives back (since the HDD was fine, and wanted the data on it if I can), and they have graciously sent both back.

Recently I wanted to do a full health check on the NVMe drive and to see if it's ok to use, to install it on my PC. It was doing the same thing. I first full-formatted it (knowing that filling with 0s will degrade some life out of the drive), but that did not change it as well. In addition, when I plugged it in to my motherboard, it did not show up at the next boot. At last, when I changed its system from MBR to GPT, with an enclosure, I never saw the issue of connecting it to my PC. So I am not sure if the MBR was the issue (which from what I know, shouldn't be related to) or the drive is simply in an almost-dead state. Is there a way to check the health of the drive fully? I already did surface tests with partition managers and the disk check from cmd in Windows, which shows no issues.

4 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

I mean beside running benchmarks on it, you can check drive health with CrystalDiskInfo.

Benchmarks are fine, and CrystalDiskInfo says its on 93% health. But it was still intermittently not working after those.

Just now, Coras said:

Benchmarks are fine, and CrystalDiskInfo says its on 93% health.

It's not great, but fine.

Keep an eye on it. But it should be safe to use for a while yet.

1 minute ago, fuzz0r said:

It's not great, but fine.

Keep an eye on it. But it should be safe to use for a while yet.

(Even I think it wont damage it but) Would there be any risk to my other components, mobo, CPU GPU, etc?

19 minutes ago, Coras said:

(Even I think it wont damage it but) Would there be any risk to my other components, mobo, CPU GPU, etc?

None at all.

The only risk really is it dying suddenly and you losing your files, so keep a backup. 🙂

29 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

None at all.

The only risk really is it dying suddenly and you losing your files, so keep a backup. 🙂

Will do. I'm thinking I'll use it as a long-loading games drive, like GTAV, MFS2020