Folding@Home With a MX150 Equipped Laptop: Worth It?

Hi,

Last year in March-May as I remember, LTT started a campaign about Folding@Home for coronavirus and other research projects. I joined to that but wasn't able to continue that time. Now I thought about joining F@H again, just to make use of when I am not using the laptop (or at least the GPU). Questions:

1) Will it harm my laptop or is it worth it? My laptop has MX150 GPU, not as powerful as a GTX/RTX series (it is as strong as a GTX 1030 to be specific). My laptop is over a laptop cooler, the GPU usually runs at 70-80 degrees Celsius. I think I'll only do GPU folding, no CPU folding.

2) Is there any contest or something I can join about F@H or related ones? 

For possible replies; I don't plan to do any mining, the target here is folding for research.

Thanks.

Hi, LTT has a pretty lively F@H team that does regular events and usually has community provided price pools aswell!

1) your laptop won't be harmed if your card only reaches 70/80 degrees. If you feel like it's still working a bit too hard you could set a lower power limit in MSI afterburner.

CPU folding is usually not worth it anyway.

2) there is a little F@H sprint coming at the end of this month, you can sign up here:

welcome to the fold! 😄

This has a list of how many points each card can earn each day. https://folding.lar.systems/gpu_ppd/overall_ranks

It includes data for the MX150 at around 170,000 points per day. https://folding.lar.systems/gpu_ppd/brands/nvidia/folding_profile/gp108_geforce_mx150

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

@RollinLower Thanks for the reference! Gonna join that. The MSI Afterburner is a good idea too, I use ASUS GPU Tweak for that because seems like MSI Afterburner doesn't support the GPU (or at least the temperature).

@SpottyThanks for that value too, nice to know that. One other thing, CPU folding is not worth it but is it good to use the integrated UHD 620 graphics beside MX150? The option seems not available (or disabled) but is it worth it? If it is, how to enable it? An extra 40,000 points (UHD 630) don't sound bad compared to 2,000 points CPU (i5-8250U) folding.