Nvidia Unhackable RTX 3060 anti-miners driver has just been hacked (this time for real)

Wail3Y
52 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I'm so glad I bought my RTX 3080 for gaming back in december 2020 for 990€. Stores are currently selling vanilla RTX 3060 for 1000€ and more. Absolute insanity. Also I hope this whole garbage crashes monumentally. And crashes so hard no one will think of or touch this mining idiocy. This is literally one of the dumbest things humanity has made up.

"I have nothing to do with it now, but I hope it dies anyways"

Pretty toxic, isn't it?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

53 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I'm so glad I bought my RTX 3080 for gaming back in december 2020 for 990€. Stores are currently selling vanilla RTX 3060 for 1000€ and more. Absolute insanity. Also I hope this whole garbage crashes monumentally. And crashes so hard no one will think of or touch this mining idiocy. This is literally one of the dumbest things humanity has made up.

You may be disappointed if you hope a crypto crash will fix the shortage problem. Nvidia Estimates that $100-$300 Million in Q4 Revenue was from Miners. This is 2-6% of total revenue or 4-12% of gaming revenue. Note that they "conceded that it couldn't accurately predict the impact due to sales through AIBs and distributors." Significant, but far from a shortage fix even if all miners sell.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-q4-earnings-100-300-million-dollars-cryptocurrency-mining

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

I highly doubt even if crypto crashed, it would fix the supply issue. I mean, it's not like the 3060 mining block (for the 2 weeks it existed) did literally anything to help supply, it was literally their worst launch yet. Especially considering the silicon supply issues have effected industries outside of GPUs

Plus I highly doubt miners are the ones paying the absolutely ridiculous ebay prices, because for them ROI actually matters (and at 2-3x MSRP, it's not that great). The people likely paying those prices are just ridiculously desperate gamers, or people who really want an upgrade for other reasons. This would partially explain why even really old GPUs, or GPUs that cannot mine (such as my GTX 970), are still double or triple their normal price.

9 hours ago, Apk.down said:

It really piss me off..

Im on my way to saving money for my build

My first plan is buying 3080 , then price up changed my plan to 3070, then its up again, changed to 3060, my saving now is like 85% to common price of 3060 in my country which is around 900usd. Now this happen. Im sure the price will up again, my build will never done

IMG_20210223_192844.jpg

Of you really want a GPU download an app hotstock (I believe) subscribe to BH photo of the item. (I had plenty of time to get the Gigabyte 2070, and so did many others a month ago)

https://cryptomining-blog.com/12738-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-with-full-unrestricted-eth-mining-hashrate/

Looks like this might be in fact an improvement. It's only for a single card it looks like. Which means that gamers who want to mine in their spare time can now do so, but this driver does not help big mining farms.

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

38 minutes ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

https://cryptomining-blog.com/12738-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-with-full-unrestricted-eth-mining-hashrate/

Looks like this might be in fact an improvement. It's only for a single card it looks like. Which means that gamers who want to mine in their spare time can now do so, but this driver does not help big mining farms.

Interesting, so they're allowing gamers to mine, but specifically targets risers

This could be good news

My card will arrive in few days, I'll test it then

9 hours ago, Moonzy said:

"I have nothing to do with it now, but I hope it dies anyways"

Pretty toxic, isn't it?

Everything is fucking toxic in today's society isn't it? How the fuck is wishing this bullshit to die "toxic"? Jesus...

9 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Everything is fucking toxic in today's society isn't it? How the fuck is wishing this bullshit to die "toxic"? Jesus...

care to elaborate why it's bullshit?

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

care to elaborate why it's bullshit?

Coz it's a made up thing based literally on nothing, that can crash any time and the whole time it's consuming jiggawatts of power worldwide while creating massive shortages of GPU's meant for gaming coz miners drive them out of factories in Asia on pallets. You could hardly made up a dumber thing than cryptomining.

10 hours ago, Craftyawesome said:

You may be disappointed if you hope a crypto crash will fix the shortage problem. Nvidia Estimates that $100-$300 Million in Q4 Revenue was from Miners. This is 2-6% of total revenue or 4-12% of gaming revenue. Note that they "conceded that it couldn't accurately predict the impact due to sales through AIBs and distributors." Significant, but far from a shortage fix even if all miners sell.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-q4-earnings-100-300-million-dollars-cryptocurrency-mining

Interesting, but I really doubt that claim of Nvidia being unable to predict the impact of mining through AIBs and retailers because AIBs are ordering GPU dies from Nvidia, and Nvidia should know how many cards retailers are selling.

The same article states Nvidia had a record $5 billion in quarterly revenue, I would assume a lot of that is from mining.

9 hours ago, TheBahrbarian said:

I highly doubt even if crypto crashed, it would fix the supply issue. I mean, it's not like the 3060 mining block (for the 2 weeks it existed) did literally anything to help supply, it was literally their worst launch yet. Especially considering the silicon supply issues have effected industries outside of GPUs

Plus I highly doubt miners are the ones paying the absolutely ridiculous ebay prices, because for them ROI actually matters (and at 2-3x MSRP, it's not that great). The people likely paying those prices are just ridiculously desperate gamers, or people who really want an upgrade for other reasons. This would partially explain why even really old GPUs, or GPUs that cannot mine (such as my GTX 970), are still double or triple their normal price.

If crypto crashed, there would at least be something to buy, because there is a connection with scalping and mining, scalpers are only charging so much for cards because miners want anything that can mine, and miners are the only ones that can afford the cards at 2-3X the MSRP.

Just now, RejZoR said:

Coz it's a made up thing based literally on nothing

mmm... i don't know if that's true

i'm not too sure about crypto since im on the mining side of things, but i think people made it for the decentralization of currency or something

so it indeed does fulfill a market/need...? not too sure, since im mostly into mining aspect instead of crypto

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

that can crash any time

yeap, but why is this bad?

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

the whole time it's consuming jiggawatts of power worldwide

yeap, but why is it consuming electricity automatically makes it bad?

3 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

while creating massive shortages of GPU's

mmm... miners are contributing to the shortage but they definitely arent the only one doing so

gamers buying GPU are doing the same thing

4 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

GPU's meant for gaming

marketed for gaming =/= meant for gaming

GPU are general purpose devices, and the downside of GP devices is that when people discover a way to use it, the value of it goes up

to the point that previous uses may not be "worth" it if people are used to paying a certain price for certain things

5 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

miners drive them out of factories in Asia on pallets

I'm assuming they bought them legally, yes?

6 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

You could hardly made up a dumber thing than cryptomining.

depends on your point of view, i suppose

personally i view gaming as a worse industry as it not only uses electricity to convert into entertainment, it uses up people's time, which, imo, is more precious than electricity.

but that doesn't mean i want gaming to go away, people seem to enjoy it and i respect that, and i myself could use some gaming occasionally

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Interesting, but I really doubt that claim of Nvidia being unable to predict the impact of mining through AIBs and retailers because AIBs are ordering chips from Nvidia, and Nvidia should know how many cards retailers are selling.

I'm not really sure, that was the quote from the article. Maybe they don't ask how they are selling the cards? (If they are selling directly to miners, or if miners are refreshing webpages like everyone else)

9 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The same article states Nvidia had a record $5 billion in quarterly revenue, I would assume a lot of that is from mining

🤷‍♂️ they gave you an estimate.

10 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

miners are the only ones that can afford the cards at 2-3X the MSRP.

I think you are underestimating how much money some people are willing to spend on something, especially on the high end.

Why is it bad if it can crash at any time? And you even have to ask? Hundreds of millions of people are computing some worthless noodle, consuming huge amounts of power just to essentially get to a point where it becomes worthless. If that isn't definition of useless then I don't know what is. And entertainment is still entertainment. It has a value that is often priceless in the end and will stay with you forever in form of good memories and fun you had during that time. What's crypto? Basically it's a 50 bill you find on the ground. You're excited that moment, but ultimately it doesn't bring any long term value or joy, even if you buy whatever it makes you happy with it. And if minuscule power consumption of entertainment is the issue, we should just stop making all electric devices then. Also it's just not comparable. Mining rigs run 24/7 at their constant peak. How often do you run games 24/7 on same rig that would always utilize peak power? You don't. The difference in total power consumed is massive.

Also yes, the fact miners drive cards on pallets straight from factories is creating massive shortages. We've had amazing graphic cards multiple times in history yet we never had such idiotic shortages as we do now with crypto mining existing. This has NEVER happened before. So yes, miners are creating huge shortages. And I'm talking about this before this dumb ass virus.

@Craftyawesome

Yeah, people are willing to spend a lot of money on graphic cards. Only difference is, they may buy 2 at most per user coz they are really hardcore and they put them in SLi. They don't buy them in bulk on a pallet.

37 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Mining rigs run 24/7 at their constant peak.

Minor nitpick, the CPU is almost idle and GPU power limits are almost always reduced.

37 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

So yes, miners are creating huge shortages.

FWIW, Nvidia disagrees with you. 

30 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Why is it bad if it can crash at any time? And you even have to ask?

Yes, I have to ask

Because I don't get it

I don't understand why investment shouldn't have risks.

Hundreds of millions of people are computing some worthless noodle, consuming huge amounts of power just to essentially get to a point where it becomes worthless.

U say this and then continue to say this

And entertainment is still entertainment. It has a value that is often priceless in the end and will stay with you forever in form of good memories and fun you had during that time.

Forever... Until you die, I suppose?

So... Worthless in the end?

And if minuscule power consumption of entertainment is the issue, we should just stop making all electric devices then.

I mean, I'm okay to be against mining, but just have to be reasonable about it

So far the best reason I've seen is global impact.

But whether it's all for nothing or not is up for debate, feel free to give me your thoughts

But I have a feeling that it's all going to be subjective because we're discussing about "worth" here

38 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Mining rigs run 24/7 at their constant peak. How often do you run games 24/7 on same rig that would always utilize peak power? You don't. The difference in total power consumed is massive.

Yes, if all gaming rigs mined then it would consume a lot more electric, refer to above.

39 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Also yes, the fact miners drive cards on pallets straight from factories is creating massive shortages. We've had amazing graphic cards multiple times in history yet we never had such idiotic shortages as we do now with crypto mining existing. This has NEVER happened before. So yes, miners are creating huge shortages. And I'm talking about this before this dumb ass virus.

Have you seen how many GPU I was able to get from retail? Albeit at a higher price.

But again, yes, everyone who buys a GPU is contributing to the shortage

As long as it's legal then I see nothing wrong with it

Big scale miners have the ability to buy cards by the crates, gamers don't, at no fault of the miners.

41 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Yeah, people are willing to spend a lot of money on graphic cards. Only difference is, they may buy 2 at most per user coz they are really hardcore and they put them in SLi. They don't buy them in bulk on a pallet.

Why is buying more than 2 GPU bad?

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

As long as it's legal then I see nothing wrong with it

Big scale miners have the ability to buy cards by the crates, gamers don't, at no fault of the miners.

You can have moral problems with something that is legal. It is unfortunate that some miners with money to throw around can essentially skip the queue or page refreshing that the rest of us, including small miners, have to deal with. The centralization of hashrate in a place isn't even great for crypto either, because of internet/power outages. This is minor, at least.

4 minutes ago, Craftyawesome said:

You can have moral problems with something that is legal

Yes this is true, not everything legal is moral

But I don't see why people paying for products is immoral, they simply have the capabilities that others don't

NVIDIA, PLZ COME OUT WITH CMP SO THIS DOESN'T HAVE TO HAPPEN!

haha broskie like dab my guy

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

yeap, but why is it consuming electricity automatically makes it bad?

The sheer, absolutely disproportionate amount of it.

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

i'm not too sure about crypto since im on the mining side of things, but i think people made it for the decentralization of currency or something

so it indeed does fulfill a market/need...? not too sure, since im mostly into mining aspect instead of crypto

It's the excuse, but mostly just a tool for speculation IMO.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

The sheer, absolutely indisproportionate amount of it.

Yes yes I'm well aware it uses a lot of energy

But why is using energy automatically makes it bad?

Are there no industry that uses more energy, say, transportation industry? Does it make it a bad industry that should be condemned to disappear tomorrow?

Transportation industry actually serves a purpose, it's not just a tool to make "free money" through speculation. Watch the video.

It's not "using energy is bad", it's what you use it for and whether it's worth it.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Craftyawesome said:

I'm not really sure, that was the quote from the article. Maybe they don't ask how they are selling the cards? (If they are selling directly to miners, or if miners are refreshing webpages like everyone else)

🤷‍♂️ they gave you an estimate.

I think you are underestimating how much money some people are willing to spend on something, especially on the high end.

I'm just saying that estimate Nvidia gave seems low, but it could be $300 million from retailers, which I think means miners are still skipping the lines and getting bulk deals from AIBs and retailers.

I doubt gamers are spending $3000 on a RTX 3090, most don't have that kind of budget, miners investing in crypto usually do, while the ROI is worse than getting cards at MSRP the GPU is still returning a profit which all miners care about.

16 minutes ago, MightyMishka said:

CMP cards won't do anything to help the average consumer that wants a single GPU for work or gaming, miners don't want mining only cards because they can't be flipped on ebay. IIRC, the CMP cards are based on the RTX 20 series, which could've been used to make more RTX 20 series cards.

8 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Yes this is true, not everything legal is moral

But I don't see why people paying for products is immoral, they simply have the capabilities that others don't

I can imagine these words coming out of the mouth of the big pharma representatives for the companies that drove insulin prices up 10x in the U.S.A.
I mean, there are people that have the capabilities to for it that others don't, so why is it immoral? It's perfectly legal!

Yes, it's hardly fair, because insulin is a life-saving medicine, but I'm just trying to prove that reducing everything to a mere "Entity A purchases product B" is going too far with the simplification, and also that morality can definitely be part of a commercial and legal transaction - just because they can and it's legal doesn't necessarily mean it's right.

15 minutes ago, MightyMishka said:

I think pretty much everyone agrees CMP is one of the dumbest, stupidest ideas to ever come out of nVidia, for both gamers and miners alike.

19 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Yes yes I'm well aware it uses a lot of energy

But why is using energy automatically makes it bad?

Are there no industry that uses more energy, say, transportation industry?

Well, yeah. 

But you like being able to go to the grocery to buy things like food and clothes, I suppose? Whether we like it or not, we need the transportation industry.

20 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Transportation industry actually serves a purpose

And mining does too, it processes transactions

21 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Watch the video.

They're comparing crypto to visa, which is true that they're both transactions, but they're not the same thing

It's like saying apples and oranges are fruit, but the similarities ends there.

But again, I'm not into crypto, I'm just into mining so I don't have in-depth knowledge about crypto

22 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

It's not "using energy is bad", it's what you use it for and whether it's worth it.

So why is it not worth it?

I think it's worth it because it allows me to continue my hardware fiddling hobbies without paying few grand every year.

Am I wrong to think so?