Black Resizable Box on Desktop?

apollo_sg

So, I have a really weird issue. Built my PC in January of this year and everything has been flawless. I noticed today this weird little mark on my desktop. Originally, I thought it was a smudge on my monitor. Turns out, it's a completely down-sized "box" on my desktop. There is no name. There are no close buttons or anything of the like. I don't see anything out of ordinary in task manager, but then again I might've missed something. It starts out completely minimized. If I resize it larger, it acts like an open program in that if I click on it, it will come forward of the rest of my open windows. 

Any idea how to troubleshoot this? It's not hurting anything, but I've already accidentally clicked is once and it maximized and took up the entire screen with no way of closing it other than a restart. 

On the screenshots, look for the little mark in the upper left on the first image. 

Windows 10 Build 19042.867

Ryzen 3800x 

RTX 3070

16gb Ballistix 3600mhz

MSI B550 MPG Gaming Edge Wifi

EVGA 750w Bronze

MSI Bios 1.5

Chipset 2.11.20.106

Screenshot_1.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg

Screenshot_4.jpg

Edited by apollo_sg
Add system specs

When it has focus, can you close it with Alt+F4? Maybe open task manager to see which process disappears, in case it does close.

~edit: Maybe use "tasklist" in cmd before and after, so you have an easier time comparing it.

c:\>tasklist | clip

Then paste into notepad.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Hi, I just had the same issue today. I figured to remove all recently installed application (which was Dragon Center for my MSI) and found that uninstalling this resolved the problem. Check your installed programs if you have the same application installed.image.thumb.png.a2d87be843e28b19e06ad005c6332ced.png

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2021 at 11:55 PM, apollo_sg said:

So, I have a really weird issue. Built my PC in January of this year and everything has been flawless. I noticed today this weird little mark on my desktop. Originally, I thought it was a smudge on my monitor. Turns out, it's a completely down-sized "box" on my desktop. There is no name. There are no close buttons or anything of the like. I don't see anything out of ordinary in task manager, but then again I might've missed something. It starts out completely minimized. If I resize it larger, it acts like an open program in that if I click on it, it will come forward of the rest of my open windows. 

Any idea how to troubleshoot this? It's not hurting anything, but I've already accidentally clicked is once and it maximized and took up the entire screen with no way of closing it other than a restart. 

On the screenshots, look for the little mark in the upper left on the first image. 

Windows 10 Build 19042.867

Ryzen 3800x 

RTX 3070

16gb Ballistix 3600mhz

MSI B550 MPG Gaming Edge Wifi

EVGA 750w Bronze

MSI Bios 1.5

Chipset 2.11.20.106

Screenshot_1.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg

Screenshot_4.jpg

I just had this same thing happen to me I fixed it super easy. I literally just hit alt/tab and it came up as one of the open windows. I clicked the little red X in the top corner and tada! it's gone hope this helps u or anyone else with this problem.  

• 3 months later...

just end the task with name voice engine it worked for me