88C CPU temp a few hours a day: how bad it it really?

So I have a Ryzen 9 5900x and I have been some cooling issue and have yet to figure out how to fix it. It runs at 88C when playing Cyberpunk 2077. 

Assuming I game and have my CPU running at 88C on average 3 hours a day can my CPU still last 6 years? That's how long I am planning on keeping it.

AMD says it can run up to 95C and I've heard conflicting answers about a maximum safe temperature.

Well, it throttles at 95c....

High temp alert is 70c. (At defaults Cpu fan 100% duty cycle)

Life expectancy up to 10 years or roughly 100,000 hours of constant use at full load.

Running XMP/DOCP profiles automatically increases CPU SOC voltage and generally raises Cpu temps as a result. 

If it's at 1.1v while default, you can try manually a lower voltage like 1.050 or 1.020v or maybe less. Gotta test stability.

But yes, otherwise 88c is fine, should last 6 years full load at that temp. But ideally, would want 70c or less. That just won't happen with AMD sensemi boosting algorithms to keep the cpu at it's maximum performance by default.

What cooler do you have on it?

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

There is no guarantee that it will last that long,especially with these temperatures.

Thermal stress kills CPUs,The higher the temperature change within the silicon - the higher the wear.

So your CPU has a higher chance of failure from thermal stress with those temperatures.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

2 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

What cooler do you have on it?

Dark rock 4. It's weird... It was running at I think 66C more or less. My old CPU ran at those exact temps with a similar cooler. After I reinstalled Windows on Wednesday My monitoring software said it was running at 88C. Some of my other programs say the same thing. I'm not 100% sure the temperature is legitimate. I noticed it like 2 minutes after I started gaming so if it was getting that hot before I reinstalled Windows, I probably would have noticed.

Just now, smeek14 said:

Dark rock 4. It's weird... It was running at I think 66C more or less. My old CPU ran at those exact temps with a similar cooler. After I reinstalled Windows on Wednesday My monitoring software said it was running at 88C. Some of my other programs say the same thing. I'm not 100% sure the temperature is legitimate. I noticed it like 2 minutes after I started gaming so if it was getting that hot before I reinstalled Windows, I probably would have noticed.

Did your power plan change? I wouldn't be happy with somehow an update changed my temps so drastically. Something in the BIOS?

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

3 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Did your power plan change? I wouldn't be happy with somehow an update changed my temps so drastically. Something in the BIOS?

My BIOS says my CPU is running at 1.46 volts which seems high especially since it isn't overclocked. The power settings I saw looked normal.

1 minute ago, smeek14 said:

My BIOS says my CPU is running at 1.46 volts which seems high especially since it isn't overclocked. The power settings I saw looked normal.

That is super high. At idle that wouldn't be a problem, but running a relatively CPU intensive game like CP77 at that voltage is definitely why you're seeing high 80C temps.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

1 minute ago, tishous said:

That is super high. At idle that wouldn't be a problem, but running a relatively CPU intensive game like CP77 at that voltage is definitely why you're seeing high 80C temps.

What should it be? I'm trying to figure out how to lower it. I would do that in BIOS, correct?

Also is it high for a non-overclocked Ryzen 9 5900x?

i'd clear your CMOS and see what happens.

Even update BIOS perhaps

Just now, smeek14 said:

What should it be? I'm trying to figure out how to lower it. I would do that in BIOS, correct?

Also is it high for a non-overclocked Ryzen 9 5900x?

At stock you'd usually want it to be between 1.2V and 1.3V under load, so it is very high. Like what @Mister Woofsaid, try clearing your CMOS.

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

Just now, tishous said:

At stock you'd usually want it to be between 1.2V and 1.3V under load, so it is very high. Like what @Mister Woofsaid, try clearing your CMOS.

Will do,,, thanks. Could the update have messed with my BIOS?

3 minutes ago, smeek14 said:

I doubt it, but it's worth a shot if you're getting these high voltages for seemingly no other reason than because of the OS update.

Doesn't Windows power plan do some strange stuff?

Are you on balanced or high performance? 

2 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Doesn't Windows power plan do some strange stuff?

Are you on balanced or high performance? 

It says the power plan is unavailable and the RPC server is unavailable. I put it on balanced about a day ago though. I used to have it it high performance no problem.

7 minutes ago, smeek14 said:

The Windows power plan manages how the CPU behaves on idle and under load (to an extent),

So it's possible that the update changed something there.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

Just now, smeek14 said:

It says the power plan is unavailable and the RPC server is unavailable. I put it on balanced about a day ago though. I used to have it it high performance no problem.

I've never seen that before, that is weird.

1 minute ago, smeek14 said:

It says the power plan is unavailable

That's strange...

Just now, Mister Woof said:

I've never seen that before, that is weird.

Yep,another quality update from Microsoft!

Try using build 1909.