Moving into Bachelor with 3 people, network questions.

Mendozacheers

Okay, so I could probably find all the information by searching for 1 question at a time, but I figured I would make a thread for them all to make it easier.

First of all, It's a 4 room apartment, with regular sized rooms (I don't know the exact area measured), we are going to be 3, maybe 4 people, sharing the same internet connection. We decided to go for 250 Mbit/s down and 100 Mbit/s up Fiber, since we are all pretty much used with 100 Mbit/s down before. The estimated amount of internet-enabled devices would be up to a 20 devices (5 computers, 4 mobile phones, 4 consoles, maybe a media center etc), These would not be on, using the internet at the same time obviously but still! I figured around 10 devices should be able to be online at the same time. We are also planning on having LAN's, with a lot of devices using the Local Network and not necessarily internet.

This is the router we chose.

Here are the questions:

1. Is 250 Mbit/s down good enough?

1.1. Will we even notice it being slower if we are all used to 100 Mbit/s?

2. Is the router good enough?

2.1. Will the WiFi be covering the entire apartment if it's located in the middle?

2.2. Is this thing user-friendly? With opening ports, changing settings etc?

2.3. Are the 4 wired ports going to be enough? do we need a hub?

2.4. Can I somehow limit my roommates usage and re-direct most usage to my machine? Especially the 100 mbit/s up bandwidth.

2.5. Is there anything negative about this router? All I have found has been positive.

2.6. How well does it perform with a heavily used local network, for when we are having LANs? My last one made it lag for Everyone except the host.

3. Is this overkill?

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | MB: Asus P8Z77-V PRO | GPU: x1 Asus DirectCU II OC GTX 680 (2GB) | CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k | RAM: 32GB 8x4 Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz | PSU: Corsair TX 750W | Sound Card: Sound Blaster Zx | SSD: Intel 520 Series 180GB (Boot & Windows) | HDD: WD Green 2TB (Steam), Samsung HD501LJ 500GB (Storage), External Seagate 500 GB (Storage) External WD 1TB (Storage) | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 | MonitorLG IPS 24" 1080p | Keyboard: CMStorm Quickfire TK Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M65 Performance | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M50 | Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T20 Series II, Roth Oli POWA-5 Black | Microphone: Samson Q1U | Mobile Device: Samsung Galaxy S6 Sapphire Black (32GB) | Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7" (32GB) | Notebook: Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E540 | Steam: 4500+ Games

Steam | Twitter | Twitch

That router really isn't the best. There's some shocking reviews for it too. I'll let someone else recommend something. I would suggest something far higher end for 20 device connectivity.

250mbit/s down is plenty. It's rare you'd be hitting the 12MB/s level (100mbit/s) while downloading something.

Why would you need to limit the 100mbit/s upload? Do you plan to seed a ton of torrents/run a server or something?

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

2.1. Depends on alot of things, do your devices support ac and dual band. You should be fine though, if you place the router in the center of the house/apartment.

2.2. From what i have heard its okay, nothing special though. From my experience Asus has the best router UI.

2.3. You will proberly need a ethernet switch, which you can buy pretty cheap.

2.4. Qos is used to determent who gets what. With that you priorities traffic.

2.5. I would proberly take a look at Asus line up, i atlest really like them.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

As for wireless coverage, it depends on the layout of the apartment, the contents of the walls and the strength of the router.

I once lived in a flat where my PC was 4m from our router, but there happened to be a bunch of electric conduits in the wall, so I was only barely getting a signal.

If you are planning to have LANs I would suggest you get a switch, so everyone can get a wired connection, as the ping increases quite notably through the wireless.

Also 250Mbit/s is probably enough, I have 100, and rarely use all of it, it mostly comes down to the servers I download stuff from.

Considering that you are 4 people, you may notice a difference from 100 to 250, as several people might try to download stuff simultaniously. If the price difference isn't too big, go with 250. How much do you pay for that anyway?

I envy you nordics and your internet...

pfSense + Unifi AP ;)

Which is exspensive as F***

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Which is exspensive as F***

I know, but also is awesome !!  :D

I know, but also is awesome !! :D

4 780ti watercooled is also awesome, but not everybody have money for that ;-)

That router really isn't the best. There's some shocking reviews for it too. I'll let someone else recommend something. I would suggest something far higher end for 20 device connectivity.

250mbit/s down is plenty. It's rare you'd be hitting the 12MB/s level (100mbit/s) while downloading something.

Why would you need to limit the 100mbit/s upload? Do you plan to seed a ton of torrents/run a server or something?

Well, 20 devices was a stretch. 10 devices tops. I am a bit worried about the router now though, some say it's the best to get, that the Asus ones have had "issues" etc. I guess I will see (I already bought it, see).

Well, I am seeing myself streaming stuff, having a server and a home cloud. Seeing as 10 Mbit/s up and 100 Mbit/s up were the only options, I went for the 100 one.

2.1. Depends on alot of things, do your devices support ac and dual band. You should be fine though, if you place the router in the center of the house/apartment.

2.2. From what i have heard its okay, nothing special though. From my experience Asus has the best router UI.

2.3. You will proberly need a ethernet switch, which you can buy pretty cheap.

2.4. Qos is used to determent who gets what. With that you priorities traffic.

2.5. I would proberly take a look at Asus line up, i atlest really like them.

Thanks.

As for wireless coverage, it depends on the layout of the apartment, the contents of the walls and the strength of the router.

I once lived in a flat where my PC was 4m from our router, but there happened to be a bunch of electric conduits in the wall, so I was only barely getting a signal.

If you are planning to have LANs I would suggest you get a switch, so everyone can get a wired connection, as the ping increases quite notably through the wireless.

Also 250Mbit/s is probably enough, I have 100, and rarely use all of it, it mostly comes down to the servers I download stuff from.

Considering that you are 4 people, you may notice a difference from 100 to 250, as several people might try to download stuff simultaniously. If the price difference isn't too big, go with 250. How much do you pay for that anyway?

I envy you nordics and your internet...

Roger that, switch for LAN's :)

We are paying ~60€ for 250 down and 100 up.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | MB: Asus P8Z77-V PRO | GPU: x1 Asus DirectCU II OC GTX 680 (2GB) | CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k | RAM: 32GB 8x4 Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz | PSU: Corsair TX 750W | Sound Card: Sound Blaster Zx | SSD: Intel 520 Series 180GB (Boot & Windows) | HDD: WD Green 2TB (Steam), Samsung HD501LJ 500GB (Storage), External Seagate 500 GB (Storage) External WD 1TB (Storage) | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 | MonitorLG IPS 24" 1080p | Keyboard: CMStorm Quickfire TK Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M65 Performance | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M50 | Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T20 Series II, Roth Oli POWA-5 Black | Microphone: Samson Q1U | Mobile Device: Samsung Galaxy S6 Sapphire Black (32GB) | Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7" (32GB) | Notebook: Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E540 | Steam: 4500+ Games

Steam | Twitter | Twitch

4 780ti watercooled is also awesome, but not everybody have money for that ;-)

Not as expensive as that, a pfsense router can be mounted on any pentium 4, the access point itself is expensive but, for example the netgear r7000 will be fine. ;) 

250mbit/s?

Where in sweden is this and how high is the average rent!?

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I think you should decide on who is going to be the one having to take out the trash......... the details of these arrangements always get overlooked.

4+ Years on Steam - Profile Name: Nimbus ~l~ Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit ~l~ ASUS Z87 Pro ATX Intel Motherboard ~l~ Intel Core i7 4770K 3.5GHz Processor ~l~

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Superclocked w/ACX Cooler 3072MB GDDR5 Video Card ~l~ Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 8GB Memory Modules) ~l~

Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) ~l~ Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7,200 RPM Internal Hard Drive ~l~ Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX Modular Power Supply ~l~ NZXT Crafted Series Phantom 410 Mid Tower ATX - Black

250mbit/s?

Where in sweden is this and how high is the average rent!?

Norrköping. Not sure about the average rent, but ours are 9000:-/month, 4 rooms, 1 bathroom and 1 toilet. Bredbandsbolaget has "Bredband 250 plusfart" for 499:-/month. 

I think you should decide on who is going to be the one having to take out the trash......... the details of these arrangements always get overlooked.

Yes, this will get bad, and we will all hate each other. I have already overlooked this way too much.

Steam | Twitter | Twitch

Norrköping. Not sure about the average rent, but ours are 9000:-/month, 4 rooms, 1 bathroom and 1 toilet. Bredbandsbolaget has "Bredband 250 plusfart" for 499:-/month. 

Yes, this will get bad, and we will all hate each other. I have already overlooked this way too much.

9000:-!? I am guessing it's a pretty big apartment then. I pay 3100:- for a 56 m2  apartment with 2 rooms + kitchen and bathroom.. But i can only get 24mbps from bredbandsbolaget :/

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"