B550/X570 RYZEN USB issues and disconnects, might release a fix in april

Summary

This can be an issue with both AMD and GEN 4 PCIe, which PCIe gen 4 had their issues with PCIe riser cables and maybe in more areas. The issues that can stem from this is, USB port dropout, USB 2.0 audio crackling (e.g. DAC/AMP combos), and USB/PCIe Gen 4 exclusion. AMD has prepared AGESA 1.2.0.2 to deploy this update, and they plan to distribute the 1.2.0.2 version. Customers can expect downloadable BIOSes containing AGESA 1.2.0.2 to begin with beta updates in early April. Also there has been a few reports of similar issues, but not always the same cause in the LTT thread from AMD users. One could fix some of their problems by running in GEN 3 mode?

AMD is aware of reports that a small number of users are experiencing intermittent USB connectivity issues reported on 500 Series chipsets. We have been analyzing the root cause and at this time, we would like to request the community’s assistance with a small selection of additional hardware configurations. Over the next few days, some r/Amd users may be contacted directly by an AMD representative

We would like to thank the community here on r/AMD for its assistance with logs and reports as we investigated the intermittent USB connectivity you highlighted. With your help, we believe we have isolated the root cause and developed a solution that addresses a range of reported symptoms, including (but not limited to): USB port dropout, USB 2.0 audio crackling (e.g. DAC/AMP combos), and USB/PCIe Gen 4 exclusion.

AMD has prepared AGESA 1.2.0.2 to deploy this update, and we plan to distribute 1.2.0.2 to our motherboard partners for integration in about a week. Customers can expect downloadable BIOSes containing AGESA 1.2.0.2 to begin with beta updates in early April. The exact update schedule for your system will depend on the test and implementation schedule for your vendor and specific motherboard model. If you continue to experience intermittent USB connectivity issues after updating your system to AGESA 1.2.0.2, we encourage you to download the standalone AMD Bug Report Tool

My thoughts

This could be a problem for some, and their experience with AMD products. Hopefully it gets resolved, as from what I have seen or heard. There are some people in the LTT forum that MIGHT have some issues that could be related to this.

Also this being an early beginner tax, for the GEN 4 PCIe.

Sources

Title has an error - it's B550/X570, not B550/B570.

Also about the USB fix - yay!
I was dreading that with my motherboard upgrade since I use a LOT of USB devices but hopefully I will not get it.

elephants

I have yet (*knock on wood*) to experience this issue with my X570 / R7-3800x PC. My only concern is that while fixing the USB issue, they introduce other issues as a result.

1 hour ago, StDragon said:

they introduce other issues as a result.

Yes it could, but you dont need to update to that version... yet or for a long while?

Only took them 4 months too long... But, as long as it fixes the USB issues, I will be happy! 

Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING

Ryzen 5900X

Corsair Hydro H150i Pro 360mm AIO

Ballistix 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CL16 RGB

Samsung 980 PRO 1TB

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti GAMING OC

Corsair RM850X

Predator XB273UGS QHD IPS 165 Hz

iPhone 13 Pro 128GB Graphite

That's good. Can't say I had issues, maybe sometimes front ports, though case is very old so not sure if it's scuffed. But nice it's fixed.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

This was a big issue for HP Reverb G2 users on the subreddit, glad to see it getting fixed!