My internet speed just jumped from 500 to 900 mbps

😲 WOW, I was not expecting my speed to jump all the way up to almost 1 gbps just by disabling a few services in the operating system. I'm paying for around 500 ish mbps with comcast. Before I disabled those services, I usually got up to 550ish last I recall. But now I'm getting well over 900 mbps ever since I disabled the following services listed below. I NEVER got anywhere near 900 mbps before this, wouldn't dream of it. Keep in mind, that it still depends largely on your set up, so results may vary. I have a brand new computer, and using a Cat6A ethernet cable connected directly to the modem. And its not just my internet speed that changed. My whole computer is running a lot faster now. I'm about to see how big of a difference this made playing video games. 

Microsoft Update Health Service
OpenSSh Authentication Agent
Shared PC Account Manager
Remote Registry
Routing and Remote Access
net. Tcp Port Sharing Service
File History Service
Windows Connect Now
Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service
Windows image Acquisition
Smart Card
Routing and Remote Access
Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service
Geolocation Service
File History Service
Application Layer Gateway
Alljoyn Router Service

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

This isn't how subscription Internet works. If your ISP has allotted you 500Mbps down that's the best you're going to see. Something else is going on here. Changing settings in Windows doesn't do this.

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

This isn't how subscription Internet works. If your ISP has allotted you 500Mbps down that's the best you're going to see. Something else is going on here. Changing settings in Windows doesn't do this.

🤔 Well, I am having trouble with my phone line, so maybe that free'd up some bandwidth. 🤷‍♂️Thing is though, its not just the internet speed that got significantly faster, its my entire computer. Everything is loading up a fuck ton faster now, so I seriously doubt it has anything to do with my phone line being down. It feels like I just bought this computer yesterday ever since I disabled those services. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

If you don't use any of those services and your computer got faster as a result that's great but I would really recommend against sharing doing this because some of those services could be very important to things other people do.

If you don't know what a service does don't touch it.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

If you don't use any of those services and your computer got faster as a result that's great but I would really recommend against sharing doing this because some of those services could be very important to things other people do.

If you don't know what a service does don't touch it.

🙂 True, but its easy to research each one to see what they are for beforehand. I doubt 90% of the average home user would need any of those services I listed, but if something stops working, they can always re-enable it anyway. 👍👍 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

2 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

I usually got up to 550ish last I recall. But now I'm getting well over 900 mbps ever since I disabled the following services listed below.

ISPs can allow higher speeds during off-peak hours, but these usually lie within the provisioned speeds.

If you run the speed test through an ISP-independent website like dslreports.com, do you get the same speeds? What about on fast.com?

Sometimes, if the speed test server is located with your ISP, your speeds will appear faster than they really are. Try connecting to another server in a neighbouring city and speeds might change.

Enjoy the extra boost while you have it!

1 hour ago, Falcon1986 said:

ISPs can allow higher speeds during off-peak hours, but these usually lie within the provisioned speeds.

If you run the speed test through an ISP-independent website like dslreports.com, do you get the same speeds? What about on fast.com?

Sometimes, if the speed test server is located with your ISP, your speeds will appear faster than they really are. Try connecting to another server in a neighbouring city and speeds might change.

Enjoy the extra boost while you have it!

🤔 Without any other windows up in the browser I get the full 1.0 gbps speed according to Fast.com. When streaming a YouTube and Netflix video at the same time it fluctuates between almost 800 to 1.0. That's still pretty damn good considering where it was before. And its 400 mbps I'm paying for. I usually got 450 at the most. I hope it stays this way forever. And again, its not just my internet that's moving a lot faster, its my whole computer. My programs are loading up even faster basically, so I'm counting on it staying this way. 🤞 

With just Fast.com open:

While streaming a Youtube and Netflix video: 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10