Fps capped at 108 specifically but only sometimes in league

lilnibbles

Everything has always ran super smooth on my pc but as of the last 2 days both league and cs have had a cap of 108 fps specifically. If I change from borderless windowed to fullscreen 2 times it sometimes sets it back to the 144 cap but it seems to be quite inconsistent. Any help would be greatly appreciated as it sort of makes the game super shaky.
Specs:
Gpu - 2060 Super
Cpu - Ryzen 5 3600
Ram - 16 GB 3200 Mhz
Storage - 1.5Tb ssd + 1Tb hdd

Specs are a must for any troubleshooting. (Also this would go in that subforum)

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Made an account just so I could reply here. This is a weird bug and for me it started occurring when I updated to that freaking 20h2 windows update. I can't help but feel this is the reason behind our struggles. The same thing works for me (changing to borderless and back to fullscreen) except that it works reliably for me as a fix until I alt + tab out of the game which messes it up again. I tried to update my GPU drivers to no avail.

As for my specs:

1080 ti

i5 8600k

And it's running on an SSD.

Can you tell me if you also started having those issues when you updated windows?

Sorry I've taken a while (constant exams at school), I think it also turned up as an issue when I updated my windows. I rarely update windows for reasons like this and I think that is likely a factor in why, I might try reverting a version or 2 to see if that fixes anything. I put my graphics drivers back a version and that didn't seem to fix it so I think it's more likely a windows update. 🙂

Same thing started happening to me a few weeks ago. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with a recent Windows update. I hope it gets fixed soon.

Hey Guys I had the same issue for a few weeks now, I fixed it by toggling the "wait for vertical sync" option under FPS cap. It seems to be an issue were I have to toggle it everytime a new game starts up. Hopefully this works as a temp fix

Same here, tried just about everything now. Seems to be the Windows media overlay that makes it go to 108 FPS but it works if i don't alt tab out of the game.

If i  alt tab out of the game it begins and the only fix is to enable / disable vsync (haven't tried with the other settings) then it works perfectly fine until i alt tab again, then it goes to 108 everytrime i try media controls again.

Fresh installation of Windows. (2 weeks ago) 

Windows version 20H2

i7-8700

b360-f gaming 

ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 ROG STRIX Advanced

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz 16GB

Seasonic plat psu

2 screen setup, 1 gsync 1 amd freesync (but disabled)

I've been having this issue as well and i think i have a found a fix. either in shortcuts or in the file click onto the properties of league or any other game, select comparability and then select disable full screen optimisations. not sure if this is a permanent fix since i just found it but hopefully it works for you guys as well.

On 4/5/2021 at 7:24 PM, poopswag69 said:

I've been having this issue as well and i think i have a found a fix. either in shortcuts or in the file click onto the properties of league or any other game, select comparability and then select disable full screen optimisations. not sure if this is a permanent fix since i just found it but hopefully it works for you guys as well.

It seems to work for me, the game is much more stable and no issues there anymore. But the overlay doesn't show up in League anymore sadly, if i alt tab out it is there but not in league itself. Thanks for the fix though

On 3/13/2021 at 11:37 PM, lilnibbles said:

Everything has always ran super smooth on my pc but as of the last 2 days both league and cs have had a cap of 108 fps specifically. If I change from borderless windowed to fullscreen 2 times it sometimes sets it back to the 144 cap but it seems to be quite inconsistent. Any help would be greatly appreciated as it sort of makes the game super shaky.
Specs:
Gpu - 2060 Super
Cpu - Ryzen 5 3600
Ram - 16 GB 3200 Mhz
Storage - 1.5Tb ssd + 1Tb hdd

Had the same problem. Like everyone says, capped after alt tab, turning vsync on and off temporarily fixes the issue. I uninstalled this windows update and everything was fixed for me! Obviously can't promise it'll fix it for you but worth a try.

Windows.PNG

• 2 months later...
On 3/30/2021 at 3:11 PM, Simon 8646 said:

"Seems to be the Windows media overlay that makes it go to 108 FPS"

What is this media overlay that you speak of?

On 6/25/2021 at 4:12 PM, ksnipa said:

"Seems to be the Windows media overlay that makes it go to 108 FPS"

What is this media overlay that you speak of?

Hi it is this that i mention. It is the windows media overlay when you use media keys on the keyboard when not in the specific program.

image.png.21be8bef2082b9599138e040560da4dd.png

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I was having this issue (where my FPS would be locked at like 108 in League) for the longest time but after doing some updates I think I was able to fix it? Not sure what everybody else had to do to reproduce this, but what I observed was that this issue was only happening when I had two monitors turned on AND I had ShadowPlay's Instant Replay turned on.

GPU - RTX 3070
CPU - Ryzen 5 3600x
MB - MSI Tomahawk B450 Max

I mistakenly did these three all at once and then things started working (it was a mistake because now I'm not sure if you only need to do one to fix it):

- Updated my BIOS to the latest version

- Ran MSI Live Update 6 to update the MB drivers

- Turned on my MSI X Boost to be optimized for gaming

Let me know if this fixes it for anybody!

Edit:

This is actually false and it went back to causing fps issues after the night. I ended up just disabling Instant Replay to use a more resource intensive recording/clipping program (lowkey.gg) and that seems to fix the issue 🤷‍♂️

• 1 month later...

Bumping old thread, getting this issue intermittently; any permanent fix in place yet?

CPU - 5900x

GPU - RTX 3090

MOBO - ASUS B550-XE

Hi, I had this problem on league of legends (fps locked at 108 fps) and by searching in the depths of the internet I found a solution for this problem (which works for me anyway). 

Right click on ur desktop > nvidia control panel > manage 3d settings > program settings > select or add the program you want (for me league of legends client) > disable vertical sync > apply > restart the game

this solution worked for me, i hope for you too !

Sans titre.png

• 3 months later...
On 4/5/2021 at 2:24 PM, poopswag69 said:

I was having the same error, and this was the solution. Thanks @poopswag69

• 4 months later...

I had this problem and was only able to fix it 10 minutes ago, the fix for me was to enable G-Sync on my monitor, then disable it on Nvidia Control Panel.

I guess the issue started because I disabled G-Sync in my monitor but forgot to disable it on the Control Panel first.

• 1 month later...

I made an account just to post about this because I was having the same issue. I turned off GeForce Shadowplay(or whatever it's called these days). I also turned off G-Sync/FreeSync on my monitor and Nvidia Control Panel and ensured VSync was off everywhere.

image.png.1f3e0d4004d278e1ee84e8f4a77fb4eb.png

So the last thing I decided to turn off was f.lux. FPS immediate shot up to 200+
image.png.059dbd23bcc95516ceb2d1e4dc00e446.png

It turns out the specific setting in f.lux that was causing issues was the "Software cursor"

image.png.74dc10821bd67d06181be5cc4bf4117f.png

Hope it helps someone else!

• 1 year later...

so i found a way to fix this problem i just clicked my gpu drivers {adjust desktop size and then scaling and make sure your monitors are on the same scaling 

• 4 months later...
On 4/5/2021 at 6:24 PM, poopswag69 said:

I just made an account to tell you that if i could kiss you right now, i would. I was this close to quitting league after 10 years. This was unbearable..