Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My wife HATES it - LMG Reacts to Gold Xbox Controller

First!

 

No, no apparent reason to post. But I can tick off another box 😉

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

 

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Linus' sponsor spot: Dbrand.

 

Nailed it! Trolling par excellence! LMAO!

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

 

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GaWran said:

Full carbon fiber controller next ?

The range would be terrible (carbon fiber blocks wireless signals, not sure if it would be better or worse than gold though) but I second this!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GaWran said:

Full carbon fiber controller next ?

That could be a lot harder to do.  Metals are castable.  If there’s a castable carbon fiber it might be possible.  I’m reminded of a carbon fiber filled plastic bead where the carbon fibers are dumbbell shaped and designed to lock together. Saw it used for 3d printing a car body once. 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

We made a solid gold Xbox controller... and reactions to it are mixed.

 

Buy Xbox Core Wireless Controller (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/8dPs

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

 

So are you guys actually melting it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are alot of children charities out their and i would pay to enter a raffle for chance to win and even if you don't  win  would be so happy knowing that all the money going to a good cause .

Link to post
Share on other sites

wife tell the husband...

welp i will be wearing the pants this year.... you not worthy of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Smart woman. "Super cool if we get our money back" 

lol. My wife probably say the same thing but other wise think it's dumb as hell. lol. 

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! - - Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below -

Spoiler

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

We made a solid gold Xbox controller... and reactions to it are mixed.

 

Buy Xbox Core Wireless Controller (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/8dPs

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

 

If you decide to melt it down, please throw it at the unbreakable tv first.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why melt it down when you can sell it to the highest bidder? Start the bidding at 70k, I bet that some rich LTT fan will buy it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Was anyone else affected upon seeing Linus getting realy emotional/sad during the discussion with Yvonne? She was out of it from the start, even roasting it saying it looked fake, was really dumb to even make, etc. Yes, its probably a bad financial decision and thats the second one in a row ( stonks) but you could see Linus being pretty hurt about it (the roasting and totally close minded feel). I felt that Yvonne (im like 98% sure she didnt grow up gaming) didn't appreciate the joy that this totally epic and otherworldly achievement brought Linus. To game as a kid to now, having worked really hard to get to a point in life to literally make a meme controller but then ending up really liking the feel of it...Damn those comments must have hurt. Also its weird (due to the sudden cut due to editing) but Linus had gotten really emotional when he said the 'never told anyone my initial plan but it was...' part. That prompted me to finally join the LTT forum and post my first comment. 

Thanks for reading, and i'd love to hear your thoughts on this :)

PS: I dont think melting it is a fair thing to do considering the time, love and effort that Alex, Linus and the jewellers put into it. If they want the money back (+ more) they should auction it/ even maybe sell it as an NFT (is that possible..idk).

PPS: No hate for Yvonne: she's a wonderful human, wife, etc 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why exactly are you not allowed to touch it? I hear that it would ruin the finish, but what exactly does that mean? Your fingerprints stay on it forever? You ruin the texture it has?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Idk if melting it is the best decision. I'm sure there's some really rich Saudi prince out there or something that watches LinusTechTips videos and would pay a ton of money for a gold controller to match their gold Xbox 

 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

 The sweat starts corroding the gold, making the texture coarse, which makes it lose its shine and look darker.

Thanks for explaining that.

 

That's kind of disappointing. So you can never use that controller without gloves? I am a person who hates wearing gloves and I would to not be able to use my controller without gloves. At first I thought they were going to sell it and they wore gloves out of respect or something. You know, so the buyer can tell himself that he is one of the first to touch it without gloves or something. But that sounded kinda stupid too me so my second thought was that maybe it was extremely hard to clean it or something. idk.

 

I would honestly love to own one of those, but after finding out that sweat kills it I don't really like the idea anymore.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That $69K USD price is pretty bang on if it's between 2-3lbs. I was actually drooling over a 36 inch 1 inch wide Cuban link chain the other day that I saw and when I quoted them on the price got told $57K. This is an outfit based in Miami.

 

Not sure the wife there really understands the purpose of gold. Yes, it's a commodity that get traded, but it is also an investment. And the price of gold continues to rise as it becomes rarer and harder to mine. It will never lose it's value, so the money you put into it stays. It can also always be exchanged for cash if you need money in an emergency or financial squeeze. Hold onto it long enough and you can pass it down to others giving them an investment too.

 

Finally, and pretty much the point here, it's the RARE gold items such as these in their size/weight that become collectables. Working with gold is an art and a skill. There are only a handful or two of outfits that can do gold pieces this large/heavy with the craftsmen able to pull it off. That makes stuff like this very limited edition, and I doubt there is another one of these in existence, unlike that 1Kg gold chain which I am sure has been done a few times.

 

BTW: 18K gold does not deteriorate when you touch it. Jewellery IS worn and is in contact with your skin constantly. I wear a necklace/bracelet and don't even take mine off when I shower. You can wipe that controller over with a jewellers cloth and it'll be fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aragorn_64 said:

Was anyone else affected upon seeing Linus getting realy emotional/sad during the discussion with Yvonne? She was out of it from the start, even roasting it saying it looked fake, was really dumb to even make, etc. Yes, its probably a bad financial decision and thats the second one in a row ( stonks) but you could see Linus being pretty hurt about it (the roasting and totally close minded feel). I felt that Yvonne (im like 98% sure she didnt grow up gaming) didn't appreciate the joy that this totally epic and otherworldly achievement brought Linus. To game as a kid to now, having worked really hard to get to a point in life to literally make a meme controller but then ending up really liking the feel of it...Damn those comments must have hurt. Also its weird (due to the sudden cut due to editing) but Linus had gotten really emotional when he said the 'never told anyone my initial plan but it was...' part. That prompted me to finally join the LTT forum and post my first comment. 

Thanks for reading, and i'd love to hear your thoughts on this 🙂

PS: I dont think melting it is a fair thing to do considering the time, love and effort that Alex, Linus and the jewellers put into it. If they want the money back (+ more) they should auction it/ even maybe sell it as an NFT (is that possible..idk).

PPS: No hate for Yvonne: she's a wonderful human, wife, etc 

I actually think Yvonne is the financial arm/CFO of the company. It's her job to check Linus when he makes stupid financial decisions like this one. 😉

54 minutes ago, Luscious said:

That $69K USD price is pretty bang on if it's between 2-3lbs. I was actually drooling over a 36 inch 1 inch wide Cuban link chain the other day that I saw and when I quoted them on the price got told $57K. This is an outfit based in Miami.

 

Not sure the wife there really understands the purpose of gold. Yes, it's a commodity that get traded, but it is also an investment. And the price of gold continues to rise as it becomes rarer and harder to mine. It will never lose it's value, so the money you put into it stays. It can also always be exchanged for cash if you need money in an emergency or financial squeeze. Hold onto it long enough and you can pass it down to others giving them an investment too.

 

Finally, and pretty much the point here, it's the RARE gold items such as these in their size/weight that become collectables. Working with gold is an art and a skill. There are only a handful or two of outfits that can do gold pieces this large/heavy with the craftsmen able to pull it off. That makes stuff like this very limited edition, and I doubt there is another one of these in existence, unlike that 1Kg gold chain which I am sure has been done a few times.

 

BTW: 18K gold does not deteriorate when you touch it. Jewellery IS worn and is in contact with your skin constantly. I wear a necklace/bracelet and don't even take mine off when I shower. You can wipe that controller over with a jewellers cloth and it'll be fine.

While gold probably won't depreciate, it isn't going to appreciate significantly either. It's a pretty constant store of value. 

LMG probably has better uses for that $87K worth of capital, such as hiring new employees, and expanding the different types of content that they make.

Also, having something that valuable, in either the office or Linus' home is just asking for trouble. Millions of people now know that there might potentially be $90K worth of gold in their office, and that is more than enough to raise security concerns.

Main Gaming PC: Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Luscious said:

BTW: 18K gold does not deteriorate when you touch it. Jewellery IS worn and is in contact with your skin constantly. I wear a necklace/bracelet and don't even take mine off when I shower. You can wipe that controller over with a jewellers cloth and it'll be fine.

 

Whipping it with a cloth every once in a while sounds fair. Hope it is something like that. That said, gamer hands can get pretty sweaty after heavy gaming sessions, idk if you can compare it to regular jewelry. 

 

About the melting it down debate... isn't that kind of unfair towards the people who made it? Did Linus pay only for the material or also for their work hours? If he paid that too, I bet he managed to get a good deal.

 

Imagine being one of those gold jewelry makers. You hear about this crazy project but also know that it is kinda expensive to make. So since you like their channel you offer them a very good price. And then you see them melt down the special thing you made for them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

No reason to melt it. There really is not much difference in $$ in cash or $$ in gold. gold is gonna keep its value. Save it for a rainy day

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Aragorn_64 said:

Was anyone else affected upon seeing Linus getting realy emotional/sad during the discussion with Yvonne? She was out of it from the start, even roasting it saying it looked fake, was really dumb to even make, etc. Yes, its probably a bad financial decision and thats the second one in a row ( stonks) but you could see Linus being pretty hurt about it (the roasting and totally close minded feel). I felt that Yvonne (im like 98% sure she didnt grow up gaming) didn't appreciate the joy that this totally epic and otherworldly achievement brought Linus. 

Nope, I'm with Yvonne, this was dumb. It's not an epic and otherworldly achievement, it's a step above using $100 bills to wipe your ass.

Friends don't let friends use Userbenchmark. Ban the term "bottleneck." Corps aren't your friends. If the PC does what you need it to do well enough, it's good enough. Don't build the "best" system, build the system that makes you happy. 

 

System specs:

Ryzen 5 5600X w/Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo | ASRock B550 PG Velocita | Radeon RX 6800 Reference

16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600mhz CL16 | 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 3TB Toshiba P300

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact | Seasonic Focus GX 750W

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Middcore said:

Nope, I'm with Yvonne, this was dumb. It's not an epic and otherworldly achievement, it's a step above using $100 bills to wipe your ass.

Well of course it’s dumb.  That’s YouTube though.  Folks giving away cars and houses etc..  those video cost more to do because the cost of the item is high.  I always viewed the gold Xbox controller as an intentional waste of money.   It’s value is primarily in metal weight though which I assume can be largely recouped.  As an object I don’t think it has any more value that the bullion it was created from.  Possibly less.  That difference is the cost of the video though. LTT commonly recycles equipment.  I can only assume this one will be recycled too.  It’s all output/return.  How much does a video take in in relationship to what it costs to make.  

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, aaronfranke said:

Why melt it down when you can sell it to the highest bidder? Start the bidding at 70k, I bet that some rich LTT fan will buy it.

Selling costs money too though.  If the thing goes for more than total cost then well and good.  It may not though. 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, iLikeBananas said:

Why exactly are you not allowed to touch it? I hear that it would ruin the finish, but what exactly does that mean? Your fingerprints stay on it forever? You ruin the texture it has?

Because gold is soft it can scratch easily.  Normally not super noticeable, but this is a single large shiny area and scratches show up way more on camera.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×