Best reliable hard drive brand?

thatpc.
Go to solution Solved by sub68,
Just now, ISHAJDM said:

yeah i have a 2tb seagate external hard drive and its on its way to failing and gets really hot (51c) so that is why im switching to wd

ok

I would go WD blue than.

I want to get a hard drive just for general storage around 2tb but I have no idea which one to buy since i see that western digital is good but seagate is also good and then there's Toshiba. I want the most reliable hard drive brand since i will be storing important files. I want a 2tb hard drive and it doesn't matter if its an external or not as i can get a case for it. budget is 100$

any suggestions?

14 minutes ago, ISHAJDM said:

I want to get a hard drive just for general storage around 2tb but I have no idea which one to buy since i see that western digital is good but seagate is also good and then there's Toshiba. I want the most reliable hard drive brand since i will be storing important files. I want a 2tb hard drive and it doesn't matter if its an external or not as i can get a case for it. budget is 100$

any suggestions?

Model>Brand. Nearly all brands will have good and bad products, so it's unwise to judge how 'good' products are based off of the brand. Just judge the products.  I'd just go with a straight Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM008 drive. Good for a budget home use HDD. If you have $100 buy an SSD like the Mushkin pilot-e or mx500, something like that if you want, or maybe get a higher capacity drive, or two drives and run them in raid 0 to back them up in the event that a mechanical failure occurs on one of the drives. (Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (ST2000DM008) - PCPartPicker)

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

If your storing inportant files dont rely on 1 drive alone use raid with 2 drives or back it up as with any drive there is a risk of failure

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

3 hours ago, SignatureSigner said:

If your storing inportant files dont rely on 1 drive alone use raid with 2 drives or back it up as with any drive there is a risk of failure

dont really know how to set that up but im not going to have the drive spinning all the time so its not really a problem, it will probably be powered up maybe a couple times a month

i just want to use it for mass storage

10 minutes ago, SignatureSigner said:

A very small risk. Under normal operating conditions- heat, amount read/written, vibration, ect. drive failures are extremely unlikely. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

2 hours ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

A very small risk. Under normal operating conditions- heat, amount read/written, vibration, ect. drive failures is extremely unlikely. 

drives can only fail over age? cause i have an old hitachi with reallocated sectors count caution and its around 11-12 years old but its still ticking.

what drive would you recommend for this?

Just now, Brok3n But who cares? said:

A very small risk. Under normal operating conditions- heat, amount read/written, vibration, ect. drive failures is extremely unlikely. 

I'm just giving advice and me 'personally' would rather be safe than sorry. tbh it depends on how 'important' the contents of the drive are. 

If your storing data that is very inportant I would at least recommend a backup service even as simple as a drive with a copy of all the contents of the drive incase of a fire/damage ever occurs to the drive. Just trying to put it into considoration.

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

3 minutes ago, ISHAJDM said:

drives can only fail over age? cause i have an old hitachi with reallocated sectors count caution and its around 11-12 years old but its still ticking.

Drives will also fail randomly. So they can fail at any time with no warning.

Just make backups and you won't lose data.

4 minutes ago, ISHAJDM said:

Server-grade HDDs are going to last longer and perform better but they're going to be quite a bit more expensive. Honestly I would just recommend replacing your drives every 5-10 years, I'd just keep an eye on the relative drive "health" and whenever it looks like it might be starting to fail, I'd just get a new storage device and transfer the data. If you have important files Raid 0, backing up your files to other drives,  or a cloud file storage/backup service like google drive would work well. 

2 hours ago, SignatureSigner said:

I'm just giving advice and me 'personally' would rather be safe than sorry. tbh it depends on how 'important' the contents of the drive are. 

If your storing data that is very inportant I would at least recommend a backup service even as simple as a drive with a copy of all the contents of the drive incase of a fire/damage ever occurs to the drive. Just trying to put it into considoration.

right now i have the files on a good drive and another copy on a failing drive but this drive will also be for mass storage and will be powered up when somethings needs to be took off of it or put something on it

2 hours ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Server-grade HDDs are going to last longer and perform better but they're going to be quite a bit more expensive. Honestly I would just recommend replacing your drivers every 5-10 years, I'd just keep an eye on the relative drive "health" and whenever it looks like it might be starting to fail, I'd just get a new storage device and transfer the data. If you have important files Raid 0, backing up your files to other drives,  or a cloud file storage/backup service like google drive would work well. 

so maybe a western digital blue or green? i was looking at a wd red and they are a bit more expensive

Just now, ISHAJDM said:

so maybe a western digital blue or green? i was looking at a wd red and they are a bit more expensive

Green drives aren't a thing. Just get a blue or barracuda, there basically the same now. Get the cheaper of the two.

Just make sure you have good backups.

I would go for a WD.

Don't go for there green series as they are known to fail.

If you want it to be a bit faster there black series is good.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Green drives aren't a thing. Just get a blue or barracuda, there basically the same now. Get the cheaper of the two.

Just make sure you have good backups.

huh weird cause i have a 1tb wd green but ill just do that

2 hours ago, sub68 said:

I would go for a WD.

Don't go for there green series as they are known to fail.

If you want it to be a bit faster there black series is good.

i dont really care for speed but  ill go for the blue series or a barracuda

2 minutes ago, ISHAJDM said:

huh weird cause i have a 1tb wd green but ill just do that

Well they rebrande dthe greens as blues a few years ago. So if you buy a green now its gonna be a older drive.

Just now, ISHAJDM said:

i dont really care for speed but  ill go for the blue series or a barracuda

blue or barracuda is a good idea.

Normally I wouldn't go for seagate since there drives fail faster sometimes (thats what I have heard of them)

but my barracuda in my main pc is going strong for 3 years so...

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

2 hours ago, sub68 said:

blue or barracuda is a good idea.

Normally I wouldn't go for seagate since there drives fail faster sometimes (thats what I have heard of them)

but my barracuda in my main pc is going strong for 3 years so...

yeah i have a 2tb seagate external hard drive and its on its way to failing and gets really hot (51c) so that is why im switching to wd

Just now, ISHAJDM said:

ok

I would go WD blue than.

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang