Which motherboard to buy Z490 or B550?

Go to solution Solved by WhitetailAni,
1 minute ago, GamerGry123 said:

Are you sure this is how the pci sockets work on these two motherboards?

I want to buy a Z490 or B550 motherboard, depending on which one of them pci slots work faster and which mode.

Yes, I am sure.

If you want to run both at 8x/8x, you'll need a board with SLI certification, meaning it splits the lanes 8x/8x.

There's only one B550 board that does this afaik - the B550-E, but there's plenty of X570 boards that do it.

Not all X570 boards do.

As for Z490, just make sure it has the SLI certification and it'll run them at 8x/8x.

I want to build a computer on an Amd Ryzen 7 3700x processor or an Intel Core i7 10700 processor, which processor is the best to choose, both are at the same price.

I also do not know which motherboard to choose MSI Z490 A-PRO or MSI B550 A-PRO?

If I connect two graphics cards to the B550 motherboard, the one in the first slot will work in 16x mode from the processor itself, and the graphics card in the second slot will work in 4x mode from the chipset?

Will it be the same different on the Z490 motherboard?
On the manufacturer's website Core i7 10700 it is written that the processor supports the 1x16x or 2x8x configuration, i.e. the latter configuration means that when the graphics cards are connected, both will work in 8x mode, which goes from the processor itself. The processor has 16x lines 8x lines will go to one card another 8x lines to the other, right?

3.png

None of this makes a difference. If you're buying the Intel CPU, get the Intel motherboard. If you're buying the AMD CPU, get the AMD motherboard.

You can't put a 10700 in a B550 or a 3700x in a z490.

If you connect two graphics card to the B550 board, the first will run at 8x and the second at 4x. This will be the same for the Z490 board.

It is true that both the 3700X and the 10700 can split their lanes that way, but the board must allow it as well.

elephants

5 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

None of this makes a difference. If you're buying the Intel CPU, get the Intel motherboard. If you're buying the AMD CPU, get the AMD motherboard.

You can't put a 10700 in a B550 or a 3700x in a z490.

I know this, but read what I wrote that I don't know how pci slots work on these motherboards.

If I connect two graphics cards on the B550, the first will work in 16x mode that goes from the processor itself and the second one in 4x mode that goes from the motherboard chipset?

And on the Z490 it works so that when I connect two graphics cards, 16x lines of the processor are divided into 2 and 8x lines are output for each graphics card, yes? Because the z490 chipset has no pci line?

6 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

If you connect two graphics card to the B550 board, the first will run at 8x and the second at 4x. This will be the same for the Z490 board.

It is true that both the 3700X and the 10700 can split their lanes that way, but the board must allow it as well.

If I connect two graphics cards on the B550, the first will work in 16x mode that goes from the processor itself and the second one in 4x mode that goes from the motherboard chipset?

And on the Z490 it works so that when I connect two graphics cards, 16x lines of the processor are divided into 2 and 8x lines are output for each graphics card, yes? Because the z490 chipset has no pci line?

Why will the first graphics card work in 8x mode and the second in 4x mode if the processor has 16x lines?

13 minutes ago, GamerGry123 said:

I want to build a computer on an Amd Ryzen 7 3700x processor or an Intel Core i7 10700 processor, which processor is the best to choose, both are at the same price.

I also do not know which motherboard to choose MSI Z490 A-PRO or MSI B550 A-PRO?

If I connect two graphics cards to the B550 motherboard, the one in the first slot will work in 16x mode from the processor itself, and the graphics card in the second slot will work in 4x mode from the chipset?

Will it be the same different on the Z490 motherboard?
On the manufacturer's website Core i7 10700 it is written that the processor supports the 1x16x or 2x8x configuration, i.e. the latter configuration means that when the graphics cards are connected, both will work in 8x mode, which goes from the processor itself. The processor has 16x lines 8x lines will go to one card another 8x lines to the other, right?

3.png

the pcie lanes are just saying you can split them. Let's say you are going to use 2 m.2 drives with 4x lanes each. Then, instead of giving the full 16 lanes to your graphics card, it'll only give 8 (which right now is not a significant difference in performance) and leave the rest for your m.2 drives.

If both cpus are the same price, I would go with ryzen. It's more upgradeable, overclockable, and motherboards are generally $20-30 cheaper for the same feature set.

10 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

the pcie lanes are just saying you can split them. Let's say you are going to use 2 m.2 drives with 4x lanes each. Then, instead of giving the full 16 lanes to your graphics card, it'll only give 8 (which right now is not a significant difference in performance) and leave the rest for your m.2 drives.

If both cpus are the same price, I would go with ryzen. It's more upgradeable, overclockable, and motherboards are generally $20-30 cheaper for the same feature set.

And how would he use two graphics cards, 8x lines go to the first and 8x lines to the second graphics card?

Do 16x lines from the same go to the first graphics card and 4x lines from the chipset to the second graphics card?

Because I've heard these two versions of how it works from people and I don't know which one is true. Do you know?

44 minutes ago, GamerGry123 said:

Why will the first graphics card work in 8x mode and the second in 4x mode if the processor has 16x lines?

why do you need two graphics cards? 95% of the time SLI is useless and only hurts performance and causes compatibility issues

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

48 minutes ago, GamerGry123 said:

On both the B550 and Z490, the GPUs will run at 8x and 4x if you have two installed.

This is the way the motherboard is designed. If you want to run SLI, you'll need a board that can split the lanes into 8x/8x.

These cost more because of the NVidia SLI licensing fees.

elephants

42 minutes ago, Downkey said:

why do you need two graphics cards? 95% of the time SLI is useless and only hurts performance and causes compatibility issues

Not SLI, but two different graphics cards RX 570 for games and GTX 960 to work with the nvcenc codec.
See how someone did in this video.

39 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

On both the B550 and Z490, the GPUs will run at 8x and 4x if you have two installed.

This is the way the motherboard is designed. If you want to run SLI, you'll need a board that can split the lanes into 8x/8x.

These cost more because of the NVidia SLI licensing fees.

I want to buy a Z490 or B550 motherboard, depending on which one of them pci slots work faster and which mode.

1 minute ago, GamerGry123 said:

Yes, I am sure.

If you want to run both at 8x/8x, you'll need a board with SLI certification, meaning it splits the lanes 8x/8x.

There's only one B550 board that does this afaik - the B550-E, but there's plenty of X570 boards that do it.

Not all X570 boards do.

As for Z490, just make sure it has the SLI certification and it'll run them at 8x/8x.

Edited by FakeKGB
wrong button

elephants

46 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Yes, I am sure.

Not all X570 boards do.

The MSI Z490 A-PRO is not SLI certified and has AMD CrossFireX so it will work with the first slot in 8x mode and the second pci slot in 4x mode. Yes?
Thank you for your help. Now I know what's going on.

Which motherboard do you recommend more and which is better MSI Z490 A-PRO or MSI B550 A-PRO?

3 minutes ago, GamerGry123 said:

The MSI Z490 A-PRO is not SLI certified and has AMD CrossFireX so it will work with the first slot in 8x mode and the second pci slot in 4x mode. Yes?

Correct.

4 minutes ago, GamerGry123 said:

Which motherboard do you recommend more and which is better MSI Z490 A-PRO or MSI B550 A-PRO?

Do you have to buy one of these two motherboards?

elephants

47 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Correct.

Do you have to buy one of these two motherboards?

I would like to buy either the MSI Z490 or the MSI B550 A-PRO, unless it is even better than them for the same price.