Ryzen 9 5900x CCD1 30 C higher than CCD2 on idle.

Go to solution Solved by SkyeAwoo,

Well my chip is undervolted and also oc'd slightly so it has different values but yes you can change them in the bios. If you haven't updated your bios yet that could be part of the issue and or you didn't install chipset drivers in windows, I would run down all potentials before i assumed it was defective. My motherboard came with a compatible bios but the next one had massive changes that lowered my temps and overall made my cpu better.

Hello guys,

Hope someone can help me thanks in advance <3

I just switched from intel to amd and once i had everything running i noticed Ryzen Master was returning a 70+ C idle temp which to me seemed insane.

Maybe it was poor thermal paste application but after revisiting that i can confirm that was not the case.

I turned to maybe Ryzen Master temp reading is wrong so i installed HWiNFO64 where i saw the CCD1 and CCD2 had a 30 C difference between them

and CCD1 was running at 70 C while CCD2 was running at acceptable 39 C

Here is an after image.

Ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse.

Do i have a defective chip? because this has so far not seemed like a good purchase.

What kind of cooler are you using?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

You sure it's actually idle? 83w package power wowza

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

5 minutes ago, Levent said:

What kind of cooler are you using?

Im using a arctic liquid freezer ii 280

5 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

You sure it's actually idle? 83w package power wowza

Only thing running was Discord and malwarebytes (not scanning). Taskmanager returned with 4-5% cpu usage.

9 minutes ago, ghostythehost said:

Only thing running was Discord and malwarebytes (not scanning). Taskmanager returned with 4-5% cpu usage.

Oj a 12 core chip that's high. My 6 core idles often below 1%.

Was Discord "poppin off"

Lol

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, Mister Woof said:

Oj a 12 core chip that's high. My 6 core idles often below 1%.

Was Discord "poppin off"

Lol

i'm not sure it might have taken 2% but i feel like 5% usage shouldn't push the CCD1 to 70 C especially since i just boosted the AIO fan speeds. The 70 C is also on startup when loop is still "cool"

That is extremely bizarre of a occurrence to happen. The reason why it might not seem at idle is due to the non-stop calculations that ryzen chips are making from sleep to wake. That is a pretty high packet watt for idle however which at idle sitting mine is roughly at 35-50 Watts. What kind of thermal paste are you using and how did you apply it? I typically find for Ryzen the X is the best solution for coverage.

Ryzen 9 7950X 5.9 GHz 16-Core, Full Liquid CoolingROG Crosshair X670E EXTREMEG.Skill Trident Z5 6000 MHz 64 GB, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra 12 GBSeasonic PRIME Platinum 1000WKingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel, S.S Arctis 5 7.1Roccat Kain 200 AIMOLogitech G403 HeroASUS TUF VG27WQ 1440P 165 HzASUS VG34VQL1B 34" 1440P Ultrawide 165 HzCrucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME 2xSamsung 870 QVO 4 TB 2.5" SSDFractal Design Meshify 2 XL Case

5 minutes ago, CookieKittu said:

That is extremely bizarre of a occurrence to happen. The reason why it might not seem at idle is due to the non-stop calculations that ryzen chips are making from sleep to wake. That is a pretty high packet watt for idle however which at idle sitting mine is roughly at 35-50 Watts. What kind of thermal paste are you using and how did you apply it? I typically find for Ryzen the X is the best solution for coverage.

Before i decided to reapply thermal paste because i thought that was the issue i used grizzly kryonaut in X shape and when i took it apart i saw perfect coverage.

I reapplied new Thermal paste (only had Arctic MX4) again in X shape.

I agree the watt is a bit over what your cpu is using but i still feel like 70 C is high even if i was gaming on it.

70c for doing nothing is absolutely absurd my chip only hits those temps after about 5 hours of small packet stability testing. Something is wrong for sure. The 5 series def runners hotter than the 3 but the 5900x shouldn't be running that hot especially only on one CCX. Did you mess with any sort of bios settings or anything of the sort?

Ryzen 9 7950X 5.9 GHz 16-Core, Full Liquid CoolingROG Crosshair X670E EXTREMEG.Skill Trident Z5 6000 MHz 64 GB, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra 12 GBSeasonic PRIME Platinum 1000WKingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel, S.S Arctis 5 7.1Roccat Kain 200 AIMOLogitech G403 HeroASUS TUF VG27WQ 1440P 165 HzASUS VG34VQL1B 34" 1440P Ultrawide 165 HzCrucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME 2xSamsung 870 QVO 4 TB 2.5" SSDFractal Design Meshify 2 XL Case

1 minute ago, CookieKittu said:

70c for doing nothing is absolutely absurd my chip only hits those temps after about 5 hours of small packet stability testing. Something is wrong for sure. The 5 series def runners hotter than the 3 but the 5900x shouldn't be running that hot especially only one one CCX. Did you mess with any sort of bios settings or anything of the sort?

only thing i've changed in bios is fan speeds (for more airflow) memory clock on my ram (4000 mhz) and the FCLK is set to 1800 MHZ with the setting on auto. Only things i have changed. For me 70c should be after playing a cpu heavy game where the loop have heated up but unacceptable under 50% cpu usage in my opinion.

Well yes it is not correct something is bugging with the CPU your PPT is over 50% at idle, should be roughly around 20-25% at idle not that not even close. Something is occupying your processor in a rather medial way. Did you update your bios to ensure you have all the best ryzen performance rated upgrades? Etc. What motherboard are you running.

1 minute ago, CookieKittu said:

Well yes it is not correct something is bugging with the CPU your PPT is over 50% at idle, should be roughly around 20-25% at idle not that not even close. Something is occupying your processor in a rather medial way. Did you update your bios to ensure you have all the best ryzen performance rated upgrades? Etc. What motherboard are you running.

I have a Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Bios should be atleast from release of 5900x does your cpu have PBO set in bios? I can't check mine (at work) but i read some people having issues with that but i also read a comment that said a 10-20+ difference between CCD1 and CCD2 would mean a defective die but can't find anything about it when googling it.

Well my chip is undervolted and also oc'd slightly so it has different values but yes you can change them in the bios. If you haven't updated your bios yet that could be part of the issue and or you didn't install chipset drivers in windows, I would run down all potentials before i assumed it was defective. My motherboard came with a compatible bios but the next one had massive changes that lowered my temps and overall made my cpu better.

Just now, CookieKittu said:

I will try that as soon as i get home. The chipset driver in windows is just through Windows Update right? Bios should be easy with the motherboard i have and i know there is a newer version from 2 weeks ago.

No get chipset from AMD website. https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570 I am assuming your board is X570. Do not use windows update for any of these drivers, also make sure you use "Balanced" power plan exclusively for your processor.

2 minutes ago, CookieKittu said:

No get chipset from AMD website. https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570 I am assuming your board is X570. Do not use windows update for any of these drivers, also make sure you use "Balanced" power plan exclusively for your processor.

Okay i will try that ^^ 
Thanks for the help so far is it okay if i return once i have done all the things? 

You may DM me or anything else i do have contact info on my page i am more than willing to assist you with this issue as i am also curious about it too.