Does the motherboard support 3000 series AMD CPUs if I update the Motherboard BIOS to the latest one that supports the 5000 series CPUs?

Go to solution Solved by SkyeAwoo,

Typically i would not suggest updating your bios unless absolutely necessary. Sometimes the updates pushed out tend to not work well for processors of the lesser generation as I've found out with one of my builds. You should only update if it is absolutely necessary or provides benefits for your actual computer and in most instances if it is not a Ryzen 5000 it will not gain any benefits with these bios updates.

I was wondering if I am able to still use the 3000 series CPU on the same motherboard even if I update the BIOS to the latest one which supports the new generation 5000 series CPUs? Cause I heard some rumors about that if the Motherboard BIOS is updated you can only use the new generation CPUs and you can't use the older generations.

Yes, it will support it. For a full list, your motherboard manufacture should list which CPUs are compatible and which arent with a given BIOS. Older 1st gen CPUs will be the ones cut if space is needed for the BIOS size to fit. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Typically i would not suggest updating your bios unless absolutely necessary. Sometimes the updates pushed out tend to not work well for processors of the lesser generation as I've found out with one of my builds. You should only update if it is absolutely necessary or provides benefits for your actual computer and in most instances if it is not a Ryzen 5000 it will not gain any benefits with these bios updates.

Ryzen 9 7950X 5.9 GHz 16-Core, Full Liquid CoolingROG Crosshair X670E EXTREMEG.Skill Trident Z5 6000 MHz 64 GB, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra 12 GBSeasonic PRIME Platinum 1000WKingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel, S.S Arctis 5 7.1Roccat Kain 200 AIMOLogitech G403 HeroASUS TUF VG27WQ 1440P 165 HzASUS VG34VQL1B 34" 1440P Ultrawide 165 HzCrucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME 2xSamsung 870 QVO 4 TB 2.5" SSDFractal Design Meshify 2 XL Case

1 hour ago, CasperLaGhost said:

I was wondering if I am able to still use the 3000 series CPU on the same motherboard even if I update the BIOS to the latest one which supports the new generation 5000 series CPUs? Cause I heard some rumors about that if the Motherboard BIOS is updated you can only use the new generation CPUs and you can't use the older generations.

If the bios chip is too small in capacity, the manufacturer of the motherboard may have to remove support for some of the first processors released on a socket in order to make room in the chip for the code needed to support the new series.

The bios release notes will say if support for a series is removed. and there's usually a cpu support list on the motherboard page. 

For example, A320 chipset boards often had very small size bios chips, so when Zen+ processors were launched, some motherboards had to remove support for the pre-zen processors (A4-9210c , A6-9220c, A8-7680) and some even removed support for some Zen series processors.

image.png.d69dd10f72ced31cd3baa32570b3b161.png

On socket AM4 there's the first AM4 processors which were mostly sold only to OEMs and were not based on Zen

1 hour ago, CookieKittu said:

But doesn't updating BIOS improve stability to ram and the CPU?

No it does not. Unless specified it does not do these things it can make them worse sometimes.

Ryzen 9 7950X 5.9 GHz 16-Core, Full Liquid CoolingROG Crosshair X670E EXTREMEG.Skill Trident Z5 6000 MHz 64 GB, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra 12 GBSeasonic PRIME Platinum 1000WKingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel, S.S Arctis 5 7.1Roccat Kain 200 AIMOLogitech G403 HeroASUS TUF VG27WQ 1440P 165 HzASUS VG34VQL1B 34" 1440P Ultrawide 165 HzCrucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME 2xSamsung 870 QVO 4 TB 2.5" SSDFractal Design Meshify 2 XL Case