OnePlus Partnering with Hasselblad For Upcoming Phone Release

ThePointblank

OnePlus has signed a 3 year partnership agreement with Hasselblad, a camera manufacturer to ‘co-develop the next generation of smartphone camera systems’ inside OnePlus’ phones, starting with the upcoming launch of the OnePlus 9:

Via DPReview:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/3940514580/oneplus-3-year-partnership-hasselblad-reveals-9-series-smartphone-launch-details

Smartphone manufacturer OnePlus has announced it’s partnering with Swedish camera manufacturer Hasselblad to ‘co-develop the next generation of smartphone camera systems’ inside OnePlus’ mobile devices, including the new OnePlus 9 Series, which will launch on March 23.

The partnership will see Hasselblad work alongside OnePlus to improve OnePlus' camera technology, starting first with the software side, such as colour tuning and sensor calibration, and will progress to other areas of development.

Already announced for the upcoming launch of the OnePlus 9 is the new colour calibration science, which is being claimed to "deliver more perceptually-accurate and natural-looking colors to images taken with flagship OnePlus devices," and a replacement of the OnePlus camera app with a Hasselblad branded app called ‘Hasselblad Camera for Mobile,’ which per a OnePlus press release will ‘allows for an unprecedented amount of control for professional photographers to fine-tune their photos, with the ability to adjust ISO, focus, exposure times, white balance, and more.’

The new 'Hasselblad Camera for Mobile' app will also have a Hasselblad Pro Mode, which is effectively a 12-bit Raw capture mode; it is unknown if this is will be a standard Raw capture or a more AI-powered approach akin to Apple's ProRAW approach.

The only hardware thing to note about the upcoming OnePlus 9 launch from a camera perspective is that OnePlus has noted that the OnePlus 9 will contain a customized variant of Sony’s IMX789 sensor, which OnePlus calls ‘the largest and most advanced main camera sensor ever on a OnePlus device.’

The OnePlus 9 will launch on March 23rd at 10am ET via the OnePlus website.

9 minutes ago, ThePointblank said:

OnePlus has signed a 3 year partnership agreement with Hasselblad, a camera manufacturer to ‘co-develop the next generation of smartphone camera systems’ inside OnePlus’ phones, starting with the upcoming launch of the OnePlus 9:

Via DPReview:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/3940514580/oneplus-3-year-partnership-hasselblad-reveals-9-series-smartphone-launch-details

The partnership will see Hasselblad work alongside OnePlus to improve OnePlus' camera technology, starting first with the software side, such as colour tuning and sensor calibration, and will progress to other areas of development.

Already announced for the upcoming launch of the OnePlus 9 is the new colour calibration science, which is being claimed to "deliver more perceptually-accurate and natural-looking colors to images taken with flagship OnePlus devices," and a replacement of the OnePlus camera app with a Hasselblad branded app called ‘Hasselblad Camera for Mobile,’ which per a OnePlus press release will ‘allows for an unprecedented amount of control for professional photographers to fine-tune their photos, with the ability to adjust ISO, focus, exposure times, white balance, and more.’

The new 'Hasselblad Camera for Mobile' app will also have a Hasselblad Pro Mode, which is effectively a 12-bit Raw capture mode; it is unknown if this is will be a standard Raw capture or a more AI-powered approach akin to Apple's ProRAW approach.

The only hardware thing to note about the upcoming OnePlus 9 launch from a camera perspective is that OnePlus has noted that the OnePlus 9 will contain a customized variant of Sony’s IMX789 sensor, which OnePlus calls ‘the largest and most advanced main camera sensor ever on a OnePlus device.’

The OnePlus 9 will launch on March 23rd at 10am ET via the OnePlus website.

great

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

Isn't optics what makes a Hasselblad a Hasselblad? 

I predict this is a PR stunt as useless as "Zeiss" on Sony phone cameras. 

Honestly, even on DJI drones a "Hasselblad" camera didn't do much of anything. Yes, it had a greater bit depth, and a better ISO performance compared to something like a Mavic Air 2 camera - but only on account of the fact that it used a 4x larger sensor, and probably a better processor, too, which could very well be achieved without putting a word "Hasselblad" on the lens.

With that said, if this sort of shoddy marketing will at least make them cut fewer corners this time around, this might not be too much of a bad thing.

2 hours ago, Spindel said:

You do know phones still have lenses...?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, Spindel said:

Agreed, we've seen time and time again that phone cameras are 90% software. Just look at how flashing gcam on literally any phones makes it immediately take significantly better pictures.

38 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Yeah but they don't have enough space to put any interesting lenses that we haven't seen before.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

19 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Yeah but they don't have enough space to put any interesting lenses that we haven't seen before.

They don't need to be that, they just need to be good lenses.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

This sounds like you're implying that current phones don't have good lenses. I really don't think that's the case. Granted, I'm not a photographer, but either way I don't think a "higher quality" lens would improve camera quality on a tiny sensor that very heavily relies on software.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

10 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

This sounds like you're implying that current phones don't have good lenses. I really don't think that's the case. Granted, I'm not a photographer, but either way I don't think a "higher quality" lens would improve camera quality on a tiny sensor that very heavily relies on software.

You'd be surprised how much of a difference optics can make, many photographers recommend getting a better lens over a better camera if you're on a budget. I'm not implying anything about other phones, it's not like hasselblad is the only good lens manufacturer or anything, I'm just saying that there can be good reasons to partner with a well known lens manufacturer for this.

Whether improving smartphone camera quality and having the phone cost upwards of 1k as a result is a worthwile pursuit is another matter entirely (my answer is no but clearly many disagree).

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I guess they won't use motorized cam this time too though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

And then there's me. Still not caring about camera on phone.

Can probably count in one hand the amount of times I've opened the camera app on my now 6 year old phone.

But Hey, gotta find ways to justify the incoming price hike.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Well, that changes a little when you actually have a good camera on a phone. It's actually usable and useful when it's good.

22 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

I guess they won't use motorized cam this time too though.

I had a OnePlus 7 Pro for 1.5 year, the motorized cam was great for me because I don't use the front camera. It was definitely a downgrade going to an S21 Ultra in that regard and I think it was quite a good idea to go for the pop-up camera in the first place for OnePlus, sad they ditched it for the IP68 rating.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Looks at my lenses in the micro 4/3 system (that isn't even THE best system)... 

...yeah, phones are a joke because there isn't enough room.

18 minutes ago, Spindel said:

Looks at my lenses in the micro 4/3 system (that isn't even THE best system)... 

...yeah, phones are a joke because there isn't enough room.

*looks at F1 Ferrari (that didn't even win)*

...yeah, that Golf is a joke cause the engine doesn't have enough horsepower

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'm skeptical.

It will remain to be seen if this is just a marketing ploy or if their cameras really do improve. The OnePlus 8 Pro actually had a really good camera.

It doesn't really matter if it has Hasselblad or Zeiss or Leica written on it somewhere or if it was "developed through partnerships" with some famous camera company. What matters is how good the pictures are. If it can deliver on that then I am satisficed.

25 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I'm skeptical.

It will remain to be seen if this is just a marketing ploy or if their cameras really do improve. The OnePlus 8 Pro actually had a really good camera.

It doesn't really matter if it has Hasselblad or Zeiss or Leica written on it somewhere or if it was "developed through partnerships" with some famous camera company. What matters is how good the pictures are. If it can deliver on that then I am satisficed.

definitely agree there...if it's all a marketing ploy (although highly unlikely...but could be what majority of the 'working with' budget is placed in) where the licensing fee will be passed on to consumers, it's not worth much

2 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Well, that changes a little when you actually have a good camera on a phone. It's actually usable and useful when it's good.

the V10 has a good camera, still don' care about it, nor do i intend to use it.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

the V10 has a good camera, still don' care about it, nor do i intend to use it.

Honestly, no LG phone right now has a good camera 😛 The best would be LG Wing, and it's still far behind other companies. Let alone a V10.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

6 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Honestly, no LG phone right now has a good camera 😛 The best would be LG Wing, and it's still far behind other companies. Let alone a V10.

Irc LG was praised for it's camera on the V10

So yeah... still didn't use in 6 years and never will till the day it dies😛

(and if that happens i'll probably just buy a new mainboard for it, cause frankly all phone released since i purchased this one are just compromises compared to what the V10 has)

16 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

So yeah... still didn't use in 6 years and never will till the day it dies

I see, well it may have had a good camera back in the day, but it's not even comparable to what modern smartphones are capable of, and honestly - you'd be surprised

I started using phone cameras more and more the better they got, to the point where I use them daily - from quick scanning documents, to taking pictures of things I need to remember quickly, hell I even use the selfie one as a mirror sometimes. Capturing awesome moments became definitely more rare since the whole pandemic thing started, but it was definitely up there too. From macro shots to pictures with huge levels of magnifications to be able to see things that even the human eye is not capable of seeing, it's just a much better experience than it used to be a few years ago.
I get that some people may not care about this, but a good camera is a good selling point to many. And you know what they say - the best camera is the one that you always have with you.

1 hour ago, EJMB said:

definitely agree there...if it's all a marketing ploy (although highly unlikely...but could be what majority of the 'working with' budget is placed in) where the licensing fee will be passed on to consumers, it's not worth much

It is still very much a marketing ploy. Whether or not it actually leads to results remains to be seen.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

13 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I see, well it may have had a good camera back in the day, but it's not even comparable to what modern smartphones are capable of, and honestly - you'd be surprised

I started using phone cameras more and more the better they got, to the point where I use them daily - from quick scanning documents, to taking pictures of things I need to remember quickly, hell I even use the selfie one as a mirror sometimes. Capturing awesome moments became definitely more rare since the whole pandemic thing started, but it was definitely up there too. From macro shots to pictures with huge levels of magnifications to be able to see things that even the human eye is not capable of seeing, it's just a much better experience than it used to be a few years ago.
I get that some people may not care about this, but a good camera is a good selling point to many. And you know what they say - the best camera is the one that you always have with you.

sure, but:

- the few times i need to scan something i'm most definitely in the office, and i'd rather use the photocopier's feeder o scan stuff than take a picture one page per time

- i don't do selfie

- nor do i feel the need to "capture moments", and everything associated with it: video capture, macros, zoom, low light, etc. i simply: do not care.

So to me One Plus increasing the price of their phone (like they have been since the 1, and every year the jusification has been worst than the previous one) with the excuse, among many others definitely, that they needed to do it because of this new partnership, falls on deaf ears.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very interested to see how this partnership plays out. At first I just blew it off as another failed attempt to use the Hasselblad branding (Motorola, anyone?), but it seems like they've actually put a decent amount of work in this time. The phone has a custom sensor, which should net some interesting results. Of course only time will tell, so next week we should see if their work has paid off. Though, realistically it'll take months, as most cameras improve drastically once they've been in the wild for a bit.

The camera was the one area I feel truly held OnePlus back from being a true flagship, and if they've finally sorted that, I think they're going to be a real contender going forward.

On 3/9/2021 at 2:44 AM, Spindel said:

Zeiss actually allowed Sony to use some of their proprietary lens coatings that greatly reduce glare. So it's not exactly useless.

On 3/9/2021 at 5:15 AM, RejZoR said:

1000+ € OnePlus phones incoming...

Shouldn't be surprising at all..

On 3/9/2021 at 5:30 AM, kelvinhall05 said:

Agreed, we've seen time and time again that phone cameras are 90% software. Just look at how flashing gcam on literally any phones makes it immediately take significantly better pictures.

Ehhhh. To a point. Look at Google. They've kept the same sensor, and now that they've moved down to a lower tier SoC, their cameras are falling behind the competition, and falling behind fast. Software, while important, is a lot less than 90% of the total score.

On 3/9/2021 at 5:54 AM, kelvinhall05 said:

A higher quality lens will definitely improve the image. The sensors are also growing in size, with Sony (or Samsung) releasing a 1" phone camera sensor this year.

On 3/9/2021 at 6:29 AM, suicidalfranco said:

Can probably count in one hand the amount of times I've opened the camera app on my now 6 year old phone.

But Hey, gotta find ways to justify the incoming price hike.

You're in a very, very small minority though 😉 If they improve the camera enough I think the price is justified, especially since it'll likely still be cheaper than the competition, even if it's just by 100.

On 3/9/2021 at 8:22 AM, LAwLz said:

I'm skeptical.

Agreed. In the past we've just seen the names plastered on there with what seems like next to no actual input by the camera company.

This seems a bit different this time, though, hopefully. As phones chip away at camera sales, it only makes sense that these companies try and get their name out there in these alternative spaces. Hopefully this is the first step we see of that.

On 3/9/2021 at 9:44 AM, Morgan MLGman said:

Mmmm some people just don't use cameras. I'll admit that even when I had flagship phones I wasn't going around using the camera a lot more.

Though I am stoked to see 1" sensors making their way to phones again. I'd love to see Sony or someone pop out a camera-centric phone.
Actually maybe not Sony. They'd charge $2,500 and find some way to have a proprietary cable in there.

On 3/9/2021 at 10:07 AM, suicidalfranco said:

sure, but:

- the few times i need to scan something i'm most definitely in the office, and i'd rather use the photocopier's feeder o scan stuff than take a picture one page per time

- i don't do selfie

- nor do i feel the need to "capture moments", and everything associated with it: video capture, macros, zoom, low light, etc. i simply: do not care.

So to me One Plus increasing the price of their phone (like they have been since the 1, and every year the jusification has been worst than the previous one) with the excuse, among many others definitely, that they needed to do it because of this new partnership, falls on deaf ears.

They were always going to raise their prices. Having a phone at the price they launched at was never going to be sustainable. So, even without them "improving" parts year over year, there was always plans for price increases as popularity grew.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red