Why the heck is my bios time getting longer and longer each day ?

Justaphysicsnerd

On my omen 15 the bios time was 3.3 seconds just a few days ago and now its is like 6.7 seconds ? Why is it so long ? I have disabled a lot of startup applications and the machine is newimage.png.d885bdd9f14b3da7c3449de03e51beb6.png

14 minutes ago, Justaphysicsnerd said:

On my omen 15 the bios time was 3.3 seconds just a few days ago and now its is like 6.7 seconds ? Why is it so long ? I have disabled a lot of startup applications and the machine is newimage.png.d885bdd9f14b3da7c3449de03e51beb6.png

Are you talking just bios time? Or time to get to a working desktop? 

If it's just bios time, startup applications will not affect that. Did you add a new drive? It could be cycling through the boot order. 

7 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Are you talking just bios time? Or time to get to a working desktop? 

If it's just bios time, startup applications will not affect that. Did you add a new drive? It could be cycling through the boot order. 

Nah, it has just a single drive a 512 GB SN730 and it is the first one in the boot order, also I don't dual boot. And by bios time I am referring to the one shown as last bios time in task manager.

PS : What does this last bios time mean ? I think it affects the time it takes to start your machine

Check your drives health with the manufacturer ssd tool. 

could be bad sectors on the ssd

(try Linux/ hdtune pro or Check your drives health with the manufacturer ssd tool)

also could be:

malware ( scan with MBAM)

windows hybrid fast start, /hibernation/

(check power options )

windows updates or app updates after reboots

(check windows update logs / software logs)

faulty ram (memstest to confirm)

Os corruption/ service damage. 

6.6 seconds isn't actually that long. Hell, my surface pro's last BIOS time was 9 seconds and my desktop was 16 seconds

Generally the more devices (internal or USB) that are connected to your machine at startup the longer the BIOS time

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, AJ Punchard said:

windows hybrid fast start

Should I disable it ? It is currently enabled and I am using the HP recommended plan that came with the device. Also one weird setting in that plan is to turn Hard Disk after 5 minutes on power and 15 minutes when plugged in, should I change it ?

-> Moved to Troubleshooting

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, Justaphysicsnerd said:

Should I disable it ? It is currently enabled and I am using the HP recommended plan that came with the device. Also one weird setting in that plan is to turn Hard Disk after 5 minutes on power and 15 minutes when plugged in, should I change it ?

Disable it and set the power options to performance mode. It will ensure the cpu is running at its highest frequency on boot when  the services load and desktop loads. 

that’s fine , drives will wake and sleep frequently but you have an ssd so that’s not affecting boot speed. Download the western digital ssd tool and check the drive health. 

also it would be worth making sure there aren’t any usb storage devices connected on boot as if you have a fully external usb storage device it will try to fix/ clean bad file systems on boot as they’re mounted 

3 hours ago, AJ Punchard said:

set the power options to performance mode.

There isn't one

check the drive health. 

On the WD tool says its healthy

making sure there aren’t any usb storage devices connected on boot

I don't have anything plugged in

Ok, can you post a video showing boot speed from the press of the power button 

Worth checking windows update logs to see if any driver changes have occurred causing slower boot or services to take longer to load. 

check the event logs. 

• 2 years later...