Just got an external Bluray drive, not sure how to play blurays...

Hello all,

I just got an external bluray, and am not quite sure how to read the discs. Sorry in advanced if this question is beyond stupid, or posted in the wrong area.

I got this drive today from Best Buy

LG - 8x External USB 2.0 Blu-ray Disc Double-Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Disc Rewriter

I assumed it was plug and play, which it kind of is. I plugged in both usb's, put in a dvd, and was able to play it in vlc, as well rip a portion of it in handbrake, no issues there. I put in a bluray disk (Home Alone) the drive recognizes the disk as the right movie, I can see that its 46.6 gb, but vlc cannot play it, I get an error that says:

Blu-ray error:

This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it.

Your input can't be opened:

VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///H:/'. Check the log for details.

The log say this:

-- logger module started --
main: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
main: playlist is empty
libbluray: First play: 0, Top menu: 0
HDMV Titles: 45, BD-J Titles: 36, Other: 36
-- logger module stopped --

So, what am I doing wrong? Is bluray not as plug and play as I thought it would be? I dont plan on buying that many blurays, but the ones I do I want to rip to digital files to put on to my raspberry pi thats connected to my tv. Generally I use handbrake for dvds. Any help would be appreciated, thank you very much!

6 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

To make VLC play Blu-Ray discs, follow this guide:

https://www.videosolo.com/tutorials/play-blu-ray-with-vlc.html
It doesn't have native Blu-Ray support, so you need to add the libraries manually.

Thank you very much, I will check that out. I suppose what sort of boggles my mind, is that I seems that Windows doesnt natively support bluray disks, or am I wrong? I couldnt get the disk to play in windows media player either. The drive came with cyberlink software, but I think this is for using the drive to burn blurays, which I wont be doing. Some questions on the Best Buy website say that you need the cyberlink software to play blurays, but I'm not convinced that I do.

Just now, mishmish said:

Thank you very much, I will check that out. I suppose what sort of boggles my mind, is that I seems that Windows doesnt natively support bluray disks, or am I wrong? I couldnt get the disk to play in windows media player either. The drive came with cyberlink software, but I think this is for using the drive to burn blurays, which I wont be doing. Some questions on the Best Buy website say that you need the cyberlink software to play blurays, but I'm not convinced that I do.

Windows has crap/no Blu-Ray support.

It's probably because they won't want to pay the licensing fees to Sony.

elephants

21 minutes ago, mishmish said:

Offically you need to pay for the software, and most other free software is just cracking the DRM on the disk to play it. 

Also worth noting graphics card has to be hdcp compliant at driver and hardware level. What gpu

1 hour ago, AJ Punchard said:

Also worth noting graphics card has to be hdcp compliant at driver and hardware level. What gpu

I guess I should have listed specs. 

Ryzen 5 3600

16gb ram

RX 580 4gb

I was able to rip using make mkv, then encode using handbrake, so I guess I achieved what I needed to. I'm just much more familiar with DVDs, it's just seems so weird that there seems to be so many hoops to jump through to play a Blu-ray disc on a PC. 

I'd just always rip with makeMKV

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

The included disc should have a BD player. Have you even looked to see what's on it?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

In the past you would have needed to get PowerDVD or something similar since the discs have heavy DRM on them. Which is partly why they didn't really become standard for PC users. For longest time, best way for gamers to get BD player was to buy PS3.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

The included disc should have a BD player. Have you even looked to see what's on it?

It did include a disk, it has Cyberlink Media Suite 10, and after searching about it, yes, it does have the software to play blu ray disks. Still, it does seem funny to me that it requires such specific software to play the disk. I remember Power DVD back in the day, it was terrible, but that was a long time ago. Generally I'm used to using mostly open source software when it come to ripping dvd's, but I didnt realize that blu ray isnt as accessible as dvd's are. In general I'm hesitant to just install a media suite just to see how a blu ray disk plays.

7 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

In the past you would have needed to get PowerDVD or something similar since the discs have heavy DRM on them. Which is partly why they didn't really become standard for PC users. For longest time, best way for gamers to get BD player was to buy PS3.

Thats very interesting, I really had no idea. I avoided getting a blu ray drive for a long time, and really didnt encode much for the last 15 years, thats why all this seems so new to me.

2 minutes ago, mishmish said:

Thats very interesting, I really had no idea. I avoided getting a blu ray drive for a long time, and really didnt encode much for the last 15 years, thats why all this seems so new to me.

Having to pay $100 for just drive, and $30 more to watch anything, then $30 per movie... Not generally worth it for PC users.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv