Random Stutters on Solid PC Build - Everything from Word Processing to Gaming

rbane3

Good afternoon, all!

I've built several computers and am constantly tinkering with tech "stuff", much to my significant other's chagrin. About a year ago, I decided to upgrade some components of my aging PC. Moderate upgrades, budget friendly. This turned into throwing way too much money into it... because why not? I have been moderately pleased with my results but not as blown away as I thought I would be. Fast forward to now - I've been incredibly busy between pursuing another degree, my career, and my family and rarely game anymore. I booted up the desktop, updated everything, and am discovering an odd issue which has eluded my amateur attempts to solve.

The computer "freezes" for several seconds. The time appears variable but I haven't attempted to clock it. I haven't pinpointed any one activity which causes the freezing. It can occur with nothing but notepad running or while gaming. It just happened, as I type this. The screen does not flicker, the image doesn't change. You can be typing a sentence or moving the mouse and it will stop registering an input at some point, and then just resume operating as normal shortly thereafter. That's the best I can describe the issue.

SPECS:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-28800 DDR4 3600MHz CL16-19-19-39
Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix X570-E
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc 1407 2/24/2020
Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix RTX2080 Super 8G
Power Suppy: ASUS ROG Strix 750W ATX
Boot Disk: Sabrent 500GB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280
Display: ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ (43" Ultrawide)

Any other system information I can provide I'm glad to. Stock Ryzen cooler is used. There's a fan controller with several fans attached. Two additional 2.5" SSDs. All peripherals are Razer.

I've kept task manager open while doing standard word processing to look for any processes which jump to the top during one of the freezes. CPU is barely touched during word processing and no large spikes. GPU is at 1% throughout. Memory around 7GB/31.9GB and doesn't spike. System Interrupts Process spikes to high CPU usage immediately upon the "return" from freeze and then goes back down. Help!

Thanks in advance 🙂

8 minutes ago, rbane3 said:

Good afternoon, all!

I've built several computers and am constantly tinkering with tech "stuff", much to my significant other's chagrin. About a year ago, I decided to upgrade some components of my aging PC. Moderate upgrades, budget friendly. This turned into throwing way too much money into it... because why not? I have been moderately pleased with my results but not as blown away as I thought I would be. Fast forward to now - I've been incredibly busy between pursuing another degree, my career, and my family and rarely game anymore. I booted up the desktop, updated everything, and am discovering an odd issue which has eluded my amateur attempts to solve.

The computer "freezes" for several seconds. The time appears variable but I haven't attempted to clock it. I haven't pinpointed any one activity which causes the freezing. It can occur with nothing but notepad running or while gaming. It just happened, as I type this. The screen does not flicker, the image doesn't change. You can be typing a sentence or moving the mouse and it will stop registering an input at some point, and then just resume operating as normal shortly thereafter. That's the best I can describe the issue.

SPECS:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-28800 DDR4 3600MHz CL16-19-19-39
Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix X570-E
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc 1407 2/24/2020
Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix RTX2080 Super 8G
Power Suppy: ASUS ROG Strix 750W ATX
Boot Disk: Sabrent 500GB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280
Display: ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ (43" Ultrawide)

Any other system information I can provide I'm glad to. Stock Ryzen cooler is used. There's a fan controller with several fans attached. Two additional 2.5" SSDs. All peripherals are Razer.

I've kept task manager open while doing standard word processing to look for any processes which jump to the top during one of the freezes. CPU is barely touched during word processing and no large spikes. GPU is at 1% throughout. Memory around 7GB/31.9GB and doesn't spike. System Interrupts Process spikes to high CPU usage immediately upon the "return" from freeze and then goes back down. Help!

Thanks in advance 🙂

i would reinstall windows sounds like some driver corruption deep in windows

Main Pc: CPU: ryzen 5 5600x  Motherboard: Msi b450 gaming plus max  RAM: 32gb corsair vengeance ddr4 3200mhz ram  GPU: Nvidia rtx 2070 SUPER 8gb Case:  cooler master td500   PSU: corsair 750watt bronze80+  Cooling: Kraken x53 aio Storagewdblack snd750,3tb wd blue hdd

2nd Pc: CPU: ryzen 5 3600 Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-Gaming 3  RAM: 16gb 3000mhz gskill Aegis  GPU: Nvidia gtx 1650super 4gb  Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB311L ARGB Airflow PSU: corsair cx 550watt 80+ bronze Cooling: Vetroo V5 CPU Air Cooler Storage: adata su635 240gb ssd, seagate 750gb 7200rpm hdd

3rd pc CPU: i7 2600 Motherboard: asus H61M-E  RAM: 16 gb ddr3 1333mhz GPU: nvidia gtx 1060 3gb Case: thermaltake versa h18 PSU: evga 450watt 80+ bronze Cooling: Cooler Master I70C (Copper Core) Mini CPU Cooler Storage: crucial mx 500 500gb ssd, wd blue 1tb 7200rpm hdd 

Thanks, Dancam38. I was afraid of that and trying to avoid a fresh install. That steam library takes a while to redownload lol. 

Have you used any scripts or programs to "decrapify" windows?

Possibly a key service was disabled?

Also, is there a newer bios available for your motherboard?  

If you have youtube running a video does the video pause during these freezes or just USB input?  

I would try uninstalling all non essential hardware, special mouse/keyboard/rgb software. 

Are you overclocking?  Have you ever overclocked on this set up? If so, remove all tools used to achieve overclock and reset your bios to stock less aggressive settings?

Once a freeze resumes go into event viewer and look at logs. If it's drivers or software there should be an event recorded. Look for service not responding or appcrash events. 

Main Computer: CPU - Ryzen 5 5900x Cooler - NZXT Kraken x53  RAM - 32GB Corsairsrair Vengeance Pro GPU - Zotac RTX 3070 Case - Lian Li LanCool II RGB (White) Storage - 1TB Inland Premium M.2 SSD and 2x WD 2TB Black.

Backup Computer: CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x Cooler - CoolerMaster ML240 V2 RAM - 32GB G.Skill RipJaws GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE Case - Cougar QBX Storage - 500GB WD Black M.2 SSD 

2 hours ago, rbane3 said:

Thanks, Dancam38. I was afraid of that and trying to avoid a fresh install. That steam library takes a while to redownload lol. 

You can just move steam games to another drive and after reinstalling windows and steam you can move them back - steam will recognize them as long they're in its app folder when you try to start the games (ie this is a non issue)

And I'd agree sounds like an update messed up your install, so it may be best to reinstall. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity