Do people still use these?

FRD

Made this topic since I'm curious about something. Do people still use cases with the PSU on top? Why is it considered old?

Most of us here on the forum are gamers, who use fancy tempered glass cases, RGB, PSU shrouds, etcetera. However, many people must still be running these older cases with the PSU on top.

I'm wondering though, do people still buy brand new cases with this PSU orientation?

Personally I built a Ryzen iGPU PC in 2020 and when buying a simple case and receiving it, I noticed the top PSU mount. When checking for cases in my country I can filter on the PSU location and I was amazed that there are still 200+ cases on the current market with this orientation. So I'm certainly not the only one in this era with it then.

Do you use a case with a PSU on top? Do you like or dislike it? Why?

1 minute ago, FRD said:

Do people still use cases with the PSU on top? Why is it considered old?

Having PSU mounts at top doesnt mean only old cases have it. Having your PSU at the top can be beneficial, it can reduce overall height and fan inside the PSU can be used as an exhaust (which is why most OEMs still do).

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Personally I like bottom because they are less top heavy (who am I kidding, the cheap PSUs I use in some of my builds weigh next to nothing lolol)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

I honestly never thought about it! Wherever the case says the PSU goes, I slap in. Do people actually have preferences for stuff like that?

Edited by Murasaki
typos!

I have no strong feelings about it one way or the other.

I built a PC for a friend who used that O11 rip off with a top mounted PSU.

Didn't really make any meaningful difference to me.

7 minutes ago, FRD said:

Do you use a case with a PSU on top? Do you like or dislike it? Why?

I used to have a case that was like this, but it was an OEM. It was a mid tower and the PSU I installed was not modular, and cable management was a pain since there was no room to move the cables around due to the 5.25" bays a couple inches where all the cables come out of the PSU.

Nowadays, no I don't use a case with a PSU on top, nor have I other than the scenario above with cases you can buy online. I personally do not like them sitting at the top as they look "dated", like the case is from the early 2000s or earlier. Bottom mounted reduces the center of gravity, as some PSUs can be very heavy, and the case is supporting the weight of the PSU using feet or metal to metal contact between the bottom panel and PSU casing. I always feel like top mounted PSUs put pressure on the rear panel where the 4 screws go into, but OEMs seem to place a little latch next to the motherboard that supports the PSU (as was evident in the OEM case I mentioned above). 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

OEMs may use cases with power supply on top, because it reduces failures due to people placing the computers on thick rugs/carpets blocking the vents. 

Also since the fan is inside the case pointing down, less of a chance to have liquids drop into the power supply. 

The fan can also have double role of blowing cpu cooler air outside the case, in special cases power supplies have the fan controlled by the motherboard through special connector.

In theory having psu at the bottom is beneficial because warm air rises, so it makes sense to take colder air from the bottom and blow it out and therefore psu warms the internals less 

But top psu can also benefit a good design if the fan has double role, not just to cool the psu.

25 minutes ago, Levent said:

Having PSU mounts at top doesnt mean only old cases have it. Having your PSU at the top can be beneficial, it can reduce overall height and fan inside the PSU can be used as an exhaust (which is why most OEMs still do).

ya but lots of good psu the fans dont spin or realy low rpm. they can make all psus sff size but they like chairing a premium for it.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

3 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya but lots of good pus the fans dont spin or realy low rpm. they can make all psus sff size but they like chairing a premium for it.

Cheaper PSU fans are wired for constant spin low or not. Whatever this quote was for it, how much PSU fan spins doesnt matter, even if fan doesnt spin. Due to thermodynamics, hot air will still use that gap to rise out of the case naturally.

Edited by Levent
Quoted member edited his nonsense to make slightly more sense, slightly.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I don't really mind either way. A lot of my builds are older, so I'm just used to having a PSU mounted at the top of the case. I can only think of 2 cases I own where the PSU is mounted in the bottom. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

psu on the top today would still be better because it leave more room for gpu air intake. you can still make a basement(addict) up top to hide the cables. but like i said the fans hardly spin so it wont be a good fan to get rid of hot air.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

18 minutes ago, mariushm said:

In theory having psu at the bottom is beneficial because warm air rises, so it makes sense to take colder air from the bottom and blow it out and therefore psu warms the internals less 

ya but even a slow moving fan can over come convention. if it was a fan less pus then ya.

most cases have gotten away from the PSU being on top for a number of reasons some of which might include a better look for tempered glass cases since you will have all the cables in front with no chance to hide them and that having a PSU on top makes the case top heavy or more prone to falling over if knocked hard enough which damages the components inside like HDDs. a lot of prebuilt cases still have the PSU on top because if them moistly being used for inside office buildings making them easier to connect to outlets and other computers when they are placed on the floor.

but this is just my opinion.

Nice to see everybody's opinion on this subject. Manufacturer's these days are experimenting with the PSU location, but still rarely on top. It might look dated or just good for OEM, but it has potential. Who knows maybe later we will have cases with mid or front mounted PSUs, there are already some rare instances out there with irregular PSU positions.

I prefer the bottom for PSU as well, but I'm also fine with on top. Maybe it's just not that good for aesthetics, but it really leaves a lot of room in the bottom of the case, making it look more open I think. I do agree that a PSU makes the case and its balance point unstable. I think it's best to use in ATX, full and big tower cases only, also because it won't clutter too much space, with mATX cases there's more risk to it.