What to do with Lubuntu

I just installed Lubuntu on a Dell Inspiron Mini 910 with 8GB SSD and 1GB of RAM and got stuck there. Can someone help me out?

what exactly is the problem? if there is one.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

what exactly is the problem? if there is one.

I can't install any apps even though it's in a .deb package (32-bit OpenOffice still won't install)

7 minutes ago, JoshuaKoe said:

I can't install any apps even though it's in a .deb package (32-bit OpenOffice still won't install)

Do you get an error message?

Have you tried it via Terminal? (sudo dpkg -i /path/to/package.deb

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

Do you get an error message?

Have you tried it via Terminal? (sudo dpkg -i /path/to/package.deb

Actually no! I'll try it!

I had a problem with gdebi installer that just turned itself off after I clicked the install package button. I solved it by manually finding the downloads folder, right clicking the .deb file, going to properties, and putting Software Installer as the default program to open them with. After that, I could easily install them via the regular software installer. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

1 hour ago, Giganthrax said:

I had a problem with gdebi installer that just turned itself off after I clicked the install package button. I solved it by manually finding the downloads folder, right clicking the .deb file, going to properties, and putting Software Installer as the default program to open them with. After that, I could easily install them via the regular software installer. 

oh I'll try that later!

One thing to remember about any Linux system is that you REALLY don't want just to find a random .deb package and install it (like you would do with .exe on Windows). That should be really the last resort. The preferred way is to install everything from the repository.

E.g. if you want to install Libreoffice, you just do:

sudo apt install libreoffice

If you're not sure how the package is called (in your case, OpenOffice), just do:

apt search openoffice

- and then select an appropriate package if there is one.

What APT does is automatically resolves all the dependencies - which you might have to resolve manually if you're just trying to install from a standalone .deb package.

If you really have to use .deb package - as mentioned above, try to install this OpenOffice package using dpkg . Then post the terminal output here, we might be able to help you. It is very likely that it will show you missing dependencies, which you'll need to install using APT.

With your hardware specs, something lighter than lubuntu is recommended.  So I'd say get something better suited to your hardware.

Try antiX-19.3_386-base.iso from https://mirrors.evowise.com/mxlinux-iso/ANTIX/Final/antiX-19/

I put it onto a friend's old Compaq mini with similar specs using Ventoy (https://www.ventoy.net/en/index.html) on a USB stick with no problems.

Do it however you wish, but with Ventoy multiple ISOs can be copied to the first partition.  You may want to try Slax (https://www.slax.org/) as a Live-USB and run from RAM only (do not install to hdd).

LibreOffice 32bit will install on antiX-19.3_386-base.  It may be slow but it should work for you.

On 3/9/2021 at 4:38 PM, JoshuaKoe said:

oh I'll try that later!

You may want to use apt.   Apt is a package manager built into Ubuntu (Lubuntu) which will not only allow you to easily uninstall the application but manages dependencies.

This is important because one reason you may have difficulties installing the package with dpkg is because some of the dependencies are not met. 

You can install .deb packages using apt by using the below command (assuming you open a terminal in the same directory as the installer).

sudo apt install ./<installer_name>.deb

Ensure you substitute <installer_name> for the name of the installer.  

Let me know how you get on, if some dependencies won't install or you get an error - post it back here and I'll see if I can help you out.

On 3/8/2021 at 8:46 AM, JoshuaKoe said:

I just installed Lubuntu on a Dell Inspiron Mini 910 with 8GB SSD and 1GB of RAM and got stuck there. Can someone help me out?

Just pointing out the 8GB SSD is likely going to cause issues.